pc help

Guest Jonny

Hi people

need some help fast

I installed a jaws program which is a screen reading software for blind and parshely sighted people. now the problem is cause ive installed the wrong version it wont let me do a system restore. there is another problem the colors on the moniter are set to low 4bit and i cant change them as its the only option.

HELP!!!

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Hi Andy

its not my pc the only thing i know its xp.

You say you have tried an uninstall from control panel, did it remove the software ?

from what i know it did.

Have you checked to see if your video card hasn't been disabled by the software. ?

I think i know how to access it but you might have to refresh my memory i got so stressed trying to solve it last night i couldn't think.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Hi Andy

mine shows just above the color

Samsung samtron 55e (plus) on nvidia geforce fx 5700le

Other way is through control panel, hardware icon

tried that the only icon is add hardware

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Hi Andy

I am on my own pc at home right now

no the pc color is very basic has a pic of potter on his pc and nothing things are in grey realy distorted. like i say it just wont let me change the color bit rate from 4bit low as its the only option showing in display settings.

Jonny

Just had a quick look at the display settings on my old pc using control panel.. Have you looked in the advanced settings option to see if the driver is working OK ?

Might be a good idea to re-install the display drivers just in case.

Also check DPI settings, should be 96dpi as default.

But it sounds like this software may well have screwed up the display drivers..... not uncommon with display enhancing software for the partially sighted !!!!

Have you contacted the software provider to check for any known bugs ??

Andy

Hi Andy

ive tried updating all the drivers by trouble shooting and still nothing i am just checking any updates for windows via microsoft.

I am at my uncles now so ill see if hes got a camera to take a screen shot.

Hi Andy

when i left my uncles about 30mins ago when shuting down the pc it when haywire restarted its self when its started reading all the software at the start of the pc booting up it stopped nothing else happened so i think its a full reformat job.

also when talking to my uncle his pc is about Severn years on and was a basic pc when he bought it so that dosnt help things and jaws is a up to date version.

If you haven't already tried this then:

Right click on MY Computer, click on properties, Click on hardware, click on device manager - make sure there is no exclamation mark (yellow) or Disabled X (red) next to your graphics card. If there is then your Driver will need re-installing

The easiest way to get round your problem initially is to delete your graphics card from device manager(right click on graphics card & unistall), re-boot the machine. XP will either find the correct driver or find a generic driver which will at least give you a bit more screen to work with.

If there appears to be no problem with your card in device manager then try this:

Right click on desktop and select properties

Click on Settings

at this point see if you can change color Quality to 32 bit and resolution to whatever you want (800x600 minimum)

If you Can't then click on Advanced

make sure DPI setting is "Normal size (96 DPI)

Click on Adapter

make sure it shows Nvidia GeForce

click on properties and make sure Device usage says "use this device(enable) also click on Resources and make sure it says No conflicts

I know that Jaws has compatability problems with older Nvidia drivers so you should go to the Nvidia site and download the latest driver anyway.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

This should be the one you need

Hi Hank

just pics of there holidays which they have no backup for but as the pc starts to run read the date at the start of the boot up it wont go any further so i don't think i would be able to save them.

Hi Hank

If you need to save them and the pc has usb port then I can help - let me know

yes please mate as its an only pc i am a bit out of my dept only good with modern stuff :grin::grin:

Jonny.. Another plan. Rather than formatting and reloading thus destroying the photos would be to get hold of another hard drive, a small one would do people have them lying around or 10/20 meg ones are available on ebay for a few pounds. Load windows onto the newdrive , and then set your old drive as a slave and then rescue the valuable pictures from the old drive. ( may not load windows proerly but the files will still be there Its up to you which drive you use for the PC then, if the new drive is bigger maybe leave it as main, if not get the pictures safely on the temporary drive and reform the origional.

Top tip when you are shuffling between drives, if you are reformatting disconnect the one you don't want to lose. else one slip of concentration and you could trash the wrong data

ok goto h33t.com

ignore all the adverts

type into search box active@

look for Active@boot disk V4.01

http://www.h33t.com

Download it, install it, (use crack if you need it)

use a USB stick (with nothing on it)

& run active boot disk creator

create boot disk on the USB stick

it will copy programs that will then allow you to boot from the stick USB. once done you will have programs that bypass XP and let you save off your pictures to the stick. Then you can reformat your drive to your hearts content!!!

Hi people

got my uncle's pc sorted it was a reformat job took couple of hour to get everything back on programs ect.

thanks for all the help in trying to sort the problem out.

Hank that program made it a lot easyer to get the files ect that they wanted :trophy:trophy

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice