Solution for Potter Heigham Bridge

The Eshima Ohashi bridge in Japan - the third largest of its kind in the world - rises sharply so ships can pass underneath. The concrete road bridge, pictured, spans a mile across Lake Nakaumi, linking the cities of Matsue and Sakaiminato.The two-lane concrete road bridge stretches 1.7km or just over 1 mile long and has a width of 11.4 metres making it the largest rigid frame bridge in Japan and the third largest in the world.

post-18795-0-91573000-1430298579_thumb.j

• Like 6

Poor old potter sooner or later someone needs to decide whats going to happen to the bride.I would like it to be taken apart and re built,making it slightly higher.

My first trip on the broads ,the bridge was low but not as low as it is now.

Ian :Sailing  :saily:  Fish1

• Like 1

Keep Potter Bridge as it is, and buy a boat that will fit under it 99% of the time.

That's what we did, and so far we have got under it 100% so far.

We had less than an inch once lol, and at that point you realise it's different heights on each side ... Some of that could have been the water flow.

• Like 1

The solution is all in the mind.

If you buy a boat that is too big to pass water under the bridge then forget about the other side and enjoy what's on your side ...... unless of course your already on the other side .... then the other side is to be envied!!

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to go through the bridge on my first ever trip to the Broads. Charlie Crowe was the Hoseasons Pilot then, and my hire boat was Sun Glory from Porter & Haylett. It was a windy day, always is up at Potter Heigham :naughty: anyway Sun Glory was 6ft 6" air draft on the sign at the helm.

Having missed the pilot mooring, numpty, thats me, should have turned the boat round to moor up, the wind had pushed me passed the pick up point, he had one on the wooden houses down on the port side before Herbert Woods. 

Anyway old Charlie took us through with about half an inch to spare....so he said, and told us what time to be back the next day. I am telling all of you this, for those who have NEVER been above the bridge. IF your boat cannot get through that hole, HIRE a day boat and go and enjoy the beauty that is Hickling Broad etc.

I have been through many times in the 70/80/90s but only once since the Millenium.

cheers Iain

post-18022-0-19228900-1430393344_thumb.j Me on Sun Glory taking in the rays!

• Like 2

Agree with you totally about Hickling, spent many days and nights up there fishing and mud weighting with my parents, a glorious place to be

A little tip for you Iain, when you next take in the rays you might find you'll get a much better tan without the jumper and trousers on lol, smashing picture, that's what it's all about, total relaxation  :clap

Grace

Agree with you totally about Hickling, spent many days and nights up there fishing and mud weighting with my parents, a glorious place to be

A little tip for you Iain, when you next take in the rays you might find you'll get a much better tan without the jumper and trousers on lol, smashing picture, that's what it's all about, total relaxation  :clap

Grace

Err Grace, that pic was taken in LATE March! :naughty:  Twas the week before Easter, and with Scottish School holidays being different for the Exams, SWMBO had to take the holis that week.

I don't think that rough mooring is still there now.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

• 2 months later...