What do you think?

JennyMorgan

I don't think that syndicate boats should pay a multiplier..

Neither should a hire boat..

I don't see why any boat should be subsidised be it private or hire, old or new.

does the hunters fleet pay the multiplier?

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

If syndicate shares had been available quite a few years ago you would have been the ideal ower, two or up four weeks just turn up and enjoy your time aboard your boat (well a small part of it) like a hire boat but all the comforts of home and at a reduced cost. 

Hi Alan,

Agreed, it would have saved me a fair few quid I guess also. On the other hand, it is nice to be able to try other craft, and see how they shape up.

cheers Iain.

Thats the silly thing, we have to pay the multiplier as we use hire boats more than the private boaters use theirs (although they do have the opportunity) 

I would say the average hire season is roughly 23 weeks.

how can it be fair that a syndicate boat gets a subsidised toll when it probably does at least 35 weeks (thats a guess) 

I dont blame the syndicate owners for taking advantage of this loop hole, i just think the hire companies are  beaten with a stick as it is easy revenue, 

OI CLIVE, that`s enough of that  :lol: :lol: .

Seriously though, the cost of running a boat put me off buying outright, so i opted for the sybdicate option. We don`t always get favourable weeks, but it does mean we get up to 4 weeks holiday for half the price of one week on a similar boat.

I could`nt justify the amount of extra overtime to cover the basic cost of keeping it, let alone using it, and for only 3 weeks a year. Not good economics, but when we retire, we`ll hopefully be buying outright, and can use it for several weeks at a time several times a year. Now that IS economic sense.

• Like 1

Private boaters don't make any money out of the Broads, hire companies do. Riverside shops & pubs pay business rates which are greater than nearby residential rates.  Got to say that I think it not unreasonable that commercial concerns, e.g. hire boats, should pay more. The precedent has been set, I don't see it going away. 

I originally posted this elsewhere but as a similar discussion is happening here I have copied it over. Hope this is ok....

If the powers that be decree that I am to have a different toll because I am old, historic, worthy, interesting, original enough etc etc then you would be setting me up as a different user group. Once I become a different user I could be subjected to different rules and regulations.

So, NO THANK YOU! I want to pay the same toll as the rest of you and have not only equal rights to navigate the waters I subscribe to but to navigate those waters without someone having the opportunity to say I don't contribute as much and therefore shouldn't be taking up moorings I dont pay for!

And, just like the gin palaces, the cost of the toll compared to the costs of restoration and upkeep are somewhat insignificant.

You want to do something to help us old woodies then start a campaign to stop the oak furniture epidemic and then. maybe, the costs of new chines would not exceed the cost of a new car...
:rolleyes:

Janet Anne (One of Herby Woods finest   ;) )

• Like 3

Janet Anne, but is that oak the same English oak that we need for our boats? Pays to keep an eye on oak trees that are being lopped. The other year I watched some really nicely shaped boughs crashing down, a quick word and they were mine, two new frames and several knees for free!

Would we be another user group? I pay less for my rowing boat than I do for my dory, despite being of similar lengths, yet both boats share the same rights to moor and to navigate.

Toll costs are somewhat insignificant . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

In total my annual tolls cost me more than a week's basic state pension, more than many people on minimum wages earn in a week. Insignificant, really? 

Sorry Peter, you mis-understand me. I meant the cost of the toll as a percentage of the restoration cost is insigniicant. Out of the £15,000 in materials BA's £220 doesnt affect the bottom line that much and, to be honest, that food you humans always seem in need of money for is somewhat overrated really :naughty:

The actual cost of the toll in hard cash is another matter and not what this thread was initially discussing.

• Like 2