Tales from The South Side

Saturday 25th April 2015

The Adventure Begins

6 o clock and we are up and ready to load the car and be on our way, everything had been packed on Friday so it was just to load (we have this packing lark off to a fine art with the "Boat Box" kept at the ready.

We were on our way by just after 7 and after a fairly uneventful journey arrived at Brundall at around 12 o clock without any of the expected hold-up's on the A1 and A47 at Postwick.

Knowing we would be early we had our sandwiches, popped into Budgens for some essentials then to Brian Wards (when I ordered my Burgee pole Nick invited me to pop in when we were there) after having a pleasant chat with Fiona and then a celebratory pint in the Yare to celebrate the start of our holiday. Mum doesn't drink but she joined us at the pub.

We arrived early at the boat yard not expecting to get our boat but were told it was ready and we could get our things on board. At 1.45, Robert (actually 2 Roberts one a trainee learning the ropes) came on board to show us around the boat. He was happy that I was well experienced at boat handling so we didn't need a trial run and we were on our way by 2.45.

We knew it would be a long day so decided we would just have a short cruise for our first day and head for the lovely moorings at Rockland Staithe to settle in and pack our belongings away (we leave the bags in the car).

This done we heated the pizzas we bought at Budgens then my brother & I decided to have a bit of an explore, mum just happy to relax on board.

In all the years of coming to the Broads we had never stopped at Rockland Staithe.

We decided to follow the path to the Beauchamp Arms, and a very pleasant walk it was (about a mile and a half each way). We found a very warm welcome at the Beauchamp Arms, and the beer was very good, I forget what it was but we do like to try different beers instead of just sticking with the familiar ones.  although the place is looking very tired I would urge people to visit otherwise this could be another of those pubs that "used to be on the Broads."

When we got back to our boat I noticed a familiar looking boat coming in to moor.......that would be Ranworth Breeze, and very nice she looks as well. We would later meet Rich and Lisa in the pub and have an enjoyable chat.

Rich offered to show us onboard the following morning but unfortunately we would be on our way early before there was any sign of life aboard RB as we were heading down to Beccles………so sadly didn't get to take him up on his kind offer.

After a couple of beers and a long day it was time to turn in for the night and so end day one of our holiday.

post-30046-0-75413800-1430774436_thumb.jpost-30046-0-45734200-1430774481_thumb.jpost-30046-0-83175400-1430774548_thumb.jpost-30046-0-55385700-1430774585_thumb.j

• Like 11

Smashing Dave, looking forward to this, hope your lovely mum enjoyed herself :clap

Grace :kiss

Mam thoroughly enjoyed herself, she was able to sit in the very comfortable lower helm seat most of the time and see what was going on.

I did think she was going to do your trick and chain herself to the boat

The next instalment will be posted as soon as I can get it written

:kiss

• Like 4

Hi Dave,More pictures and instalments please.When you met up with Rich and Lisa, were they still smiling,Rich was like a kid with a new toy when I left them a little over a fortnight ago.RegardsAlan

Hi Alan

Very much so, they seemed really keen to tell us all about RB. ...... We were just as keen to listen.

Plenty more to come, just got to write it up & process the pictures from Raw files before I can post them.

Regards

David

• Like 2

Dave, you forgot to mention your other 'trip' that, incidentally, had nothing to do with the beer consumed ;)

Steve

I purposely left that out but I had a feeling someone might mention it.

Ok folks, on returning to the boat and I swear I had one pint in the Beauchamp Arms and two in the New Inn. on returning and taking notice of our boat all lit up like Blackpool tower with blue led lights I tripped on a very low curb and went my length on the gravel.

Being from the North of course I wasn't wearing a jacket ....just a tee shirt (obviously trousers, it's only the ladies that don't wear them when they go out on the Toon at night up here)

Anyway gravel is tougher than skin even geordie skin so I made a bit of a mess of my elbow and severely hurt my pride

Thanks Steve

• Like 6

Day 2 Sunday 26th April 2015

I was awakened at Dark-o-Clock by the sound of a torrential downpour outside and thought we were going to be in for a miserable wet day but after going back to sleep I woke again at 6 (my usual time) to find that the rain had stopped and although it was a bit grey and overcast it didn’t look too bad.

We didn't bother too much in the way of breakfast this morning, just a cup of tea & slice of toast as we were keen to get going ......mam didn't rush up,,,well she was on holiday after all.

Slipping our moorings at around 8.45 I started to see just what this boat could do. With just the smallest amount of throttle and a touch on the port bow and starboard stern thruster the 44 ft. boat turned into the channel in one move.

Robert had been very keen to show us the thrusters when we picked the boat up giving us instruction from the quay to get out of a very tight mooring at the boat yard. He also explained that these were hydraulic thrusters, not electric so they could be held down (not just short bursts as you would with electric ones)

I know I've heard people say Hydraulic thrusters use more fuel and are not as responsive as electric but I was very impressed......more on these and fuel use later.

We set off across the beautiful Rockland Broad, along Short Dyke before joining the main river and time to see how the boat handles. I found it to be very responsive.

We headed past the Beauchamp Arms before getting onto "Cantley zig zag" which seems to go on forever, I very quickly realised one great benefit of this boat was the upper helm and the great views it offered,

I saw so many things that I have never seen before (and I've been coming boating since the early 1980's)….. Hopefully the weather will be dry & I can helm from up here all week,

I had cold/wet weather clothing with me so that was the plan (as long as the crew kept me supplied with coffee)

We soon reached the Cantley Sugar factory then on past the picturesque,  Hardley Mill, Hardley Cross and Reedham chain ferry which we had to wait for. the boat handled well and I was able to hold back without too much effort.

post-30046-0-54186600-1430863678_thumb.jpost-30046-0-89988600-1430863733_thumb.j

I had almost forgotten how lovely the Southern Broads are with the wide open spaces and big skies as we usually go North, we also liked the quietness and don't think we saw another boat before Reedham.

We decided to stop at Reedham as I needed some electric cards from the Ranger. Mooring compleated without any problems we topped up with water and had lunch before setting off down the New Cut.

The bridge was open as we left Reedham, although we were fine at 8ft. with the screens down or 9ft with them up.

Down through the New Cut it was quite breezy and I could feel the effect of the wind on the boat. I can well understand how the Alpha Craft boat had problems in the high winds a few weeks earlier (although it was nowhere as strong as that today)

post-30046-0-16402700-1430863811_thumb.j post-30046-0-99090700-1430863855_thumb.j

On the trip down the New Cut I spotted my first bird of prey of the week. I'm not that up on identifying birds but a local we spoke to later in the week said there were Marsh Harriers about.

post-30046-0-53921700-1430863075_thumb.j

(picture was taken later in the week)

Soon we passed Somerlayton keeping a look out for Orca, I thought I spotted her canopy and would realise later in the week that I had.

No problem at the bridge as we had enough clearence and on past WRC where I saw a boat name I recognised...... Our very own Lady Patricia with Steve & Deb filling her at the fuel pump ..ouch!

post-30046-0-89781800-1430863321_thumb.j

(Still captured from GoPro video footage)

I caught Steve's attention and said we'd meet up in Beccles later.

I think the Waveney between WRC and Beccles has some of the nicest scenary on the Broads. By this time it had turned into a lovely bright sunny day although a bit cold and breezy.....but DRY.

post-30046-0-46322700-1430863923_thumb.j post-30046-0-41859200-1430863971_thumb.j

We had booked a mooring with electric at Beccles so didn't have to worry about finding a space, again the thrusters proved their worth I gently eased the boat dawn the centre of the marina, came to a standstill and using port bow and starboard stern turned through 90 degrees in our own length and gently eased back to the quay.

Before long Steve and Deb arrived and it turned out that their reservrd mooring was right next to ours so I went out to give them a hand with their ropes and say hello. They are a lovely couple and it was a pleasure to meet them, it really felt like we had been friends for years......this forum is amazing.

After a good chat, Peter & I headed into Beccles before coming back to make a meal. Mam is quite happy to stay on board as her legs aren't as good as the used to be but she does great.

Later on we had another walk into town for a couple of beers we ended up in Wetherspoons which wasn't there last time we were here. We picked up a pizza and headed back to the boat and end a great first full day.

post-30046-0-95528300-1430864033_thumb.j

• Like 8

Nice trip.

Good to hear you didn't complain about the rain waking you up. Some people might have an issue with the rain maker!! Ok sarcasm but I'm trying to make a point!

I agree that the beccles run like the run down the Chet to loddon is quite a nice bit of scenery.

• Like 3

Thanks Mark

The lens is a Sigma DC 18-250mm on a Canon EOS 650D with optical image stabiliser.

Had some great results with it.

That shot was taken while steering the boat from the upper helm So I think there's as much luck as skill with it.

Thanks for all the comments

• Like 1

Day 3 Monday 27th April 2015

We awoke to a gorgeous bright sunny but chilly morning.

post-30046-0-43009100-1430950540_thumb.j post-30046-0-75863400-1430950610_thumb.j

The boat was really warm as it has thermostatically controlled water filled radiators as well as a regular heating system.

The water is electrically heated so there was no need to run the engine for hot water or central heating. It was great to be able to get up and have a piping hot shower every morning.

They told us at the boat yard that we could even use the microwave, electric kettle & toaster without the engine running and not on shore power (we were a bit wary at first but the voltage guage never flickered)  I don’t know what size batteries we had.

Obviously we would be using shore power whenever we could and would be doing quite a bit of cruising each day but it was nice to know we wouldn’t be stuck.

There was also a good 4 ring gas hob & oven /grill and a normal kettle (in fact we had every utensil you could ever need)

The rear en suite bathroom had a full size stand up shower while the other two had the more conventional boat type.

Each shower had a proper mixer which you set the temperature once then just turn the water on an off as you would at home. (like the boat Robin had for his latest trip).

On the menu this morning was a full English breakfast as we weren’t in a hurry to get off as we needed to do some shopping in Tesco to stock up for the rest of the week.

We make quite simple meals on board using fresh meat and various sauces (in jars),  rice or pasta for evening meals and salads or sandwiches for lunch.

We caught up again with Steve & Deb before  :wave  waving them off as they left quite early to catch the tide for Breydon.

post-30046-0-06123300-1430950860_thumb.j

Our plan for today was to head to either St Olaves or Burgh Castle.

We set off after 11 and took it easy, as I said yesterday, I love this stretch of river and today the colours were particularly  lovely.

We decided to moor up at Cove Staithe for a while and have lunch before moving on.  (we tend to do that a lot…….make a rough plan for the day with a start and end point but stop and start in between as the mood takes us).

post-30046-0-45058400-1430951038_thumb.j

We dropped the screens and I moved downstairs for Somerlayton & St Olaves bridges  (we had about 6 inches clearence at St Olaves).

Mam had been thouroughly enjoying the journey from the lower helm seat until I sugested she took us through the bridges

we were surprised to see how few moorings are left at St Olaves,

I seem to remember there being a lot more back in the day (as I have said, it’s been some years since we did the South rivers) anyway there was one of those sailey thingies :Sailing (as Grace calls them) stuck right in the middle of the mooring and us being 44ft there was no way we’d get on so it was onwards & upwards to Burgh Castle.

The breeze picked up a bit after leaving St Olaves making the going quite interesting (but fun) we were going against the tide so mooring wasn’t a problem but the bow & stern thrusters came into their own again for holding into the quay for Peter to tie up.

There were no other boats on the mooring so we got right at the end beside the electric post and the last user had left a good bit of credit on the meter.

After settling in we had a quick walk along to the Fishermans Bar but it being Monday it was closed…. Not to worry we had supplies.

I always loved these moorings with the vast openness and great big skies and today was looking perfect for a good sunset.

We settled in, had our meal then a walk up to the castle and along the footpath a way hoping to get some good photos before returning to the boat for cocktails on the sundeck. (well beer & wine).

Here endeth another great day on the Broads

post-30046-0-05253600-1430951480_thumb.jpost-30046-0-23265100-1430951526_thumb.jpost-30046-0-03826100-1430951557_thumb.jpost-30046-0-91026200-1430951601_thumb.jpost-30046-0-25992100-1430951636_thumb.jpost-30046-0-70403500-1430951678_thumb.jpost-30046-0-26243800-1430951716_thumb.j

• Like 9