Tales from The South Side

Day 4 Tuesday 28th April 2015

Thanks for all the likes & comments

Hope I'm not boring you all with these ramblings

I awoke in darkness at some ungodly hour to what sounded like John Bonham’s bass drums at a Led Zeppelin concert (I’m showing my age now).

On coming to my senses (questionable) I realised it was the rear fenders banging off the bathing platform in the wind. Being as I was awake I checked the ropes which were fine and lifted the fenders onto the platform which quietened things down a bit and managed to get back to sleep.

We were up quite early today as conditions were quite wild. There was no one else on the mooring so I put the heating on for mam then proceeded to make the breakfast……full English again, this is always a treat when on holiday, we never have a cooked breakfast at home.

We set off towards Breydon Water and turned up past the Berney Arms which looks a shadow of its former self. It’s quite sad to see. We had many a happy evening in there in years gone by.

Conditions were quite lively on the way up to Reedham where the bridge was open but started to close as we made our final approach it was no problem as we had plenty of air draught. The boat handled very well in the blustery conditions.

Our destination today was to be Loddon and we decided not to stop for coffee this morning, just have it en route.

The run up the Chet was a bit interesting in the wind, especially when we met boats coming towards us.

We did have one tricky situation on the bend where the last of the posts is on our port side, I’d eased off to let another large boat get round the bend and the wind got hold of us. I was able to hold it using the thrusters but we ended up having to pass each other on the wrong side but there were no bumps.

When we got to Loddon they were still dredging just before the staithe so we couldn’t get in so decided to moor up at Pyes Mill. The thrusters were a great benefit here.. I was able to spin the boat in its own length then pull it in parallel to the mooring. Very impressive.

We decided to just stay at this mooring as it was really pleasant. We had enough power & water for overnight.

After lunch Peter & me decided to go for a walk leaving mam on board with her book.

We headed over to Chedgrave and along the other side of the river past the Hardley Flood Nature reserve and round the other side back to Chedgrave and a quick pint in the pub before heading back to the boat, about 4 ½ miles.

We saw a couple of swans nesting and a mother with ducklings. it was a very pleasent sunny if still blustery afternoon.

we spent the rest of the day just relaxing.......what more could you want?

post-30046-0-49502100-1431039213_thumb.jpost-30046-0-23712200-1431039270_thumb.jpost-30046-0-31652800-1431039339_thumb.jpost-30046-0-57158800-1431039373_thumb.jpost-30046-0-66291800-1431039403_thumb.jpost-30046-0-17476100-1431039439_thumb.j

• Like 10

Hardly ramblings and certainly not boring, I Guessed that walk would take you to a pub lol, as long as you didn't fall over because of some lighting or other  :naughty:

The photos of the little ducklings are adorable, thank you for posting  :clap

Grace  :kiss

Day 5 Tuesday 29th April 2015

We awoke to a dull blustery but dry morning. Our final destination for the day unknown.

After breakfast we set off along the Chet and turned left. First port of call would be our boatyard (Silverline in Brundall) for a water top up and possibly a pump out which is free to their own boats.

It didn’t seem quite as cold as we set off but when we turned onto the Yare it felt another topcoat cooler, not a great day for pictures but I still managed to helm from the upper position.

post-30046-0-49871600-1431210767_thumb.jpost-30046-0-33096200-1431210813_thumb.j

I love being outdoors in all weathers and had brought clothing for all occasions so was planning to use the upper helm unless we had a torrential downpour.

Going was quite choppy on the run up to Brundall.

As we were heading our boatyard we spotted the second boat we ever hired back in the 80’s….. Cherry Willow, from Willowcraft who were also in Brundall but sadly long gone

(But the owner is still around and is in regular contact with Colin & Lesley from Silverline)

We were the second people to hire this boat and still have a bit of a soft spot for it.

She looked as good today as she did when we had her. Same color & graphics but I did read somewhere that it was refitted when sold into private hands.

post-30046-0-69011000-1431210714_thumb.j

The gauge on the toilet tank hadn’t moved so we didn’t get the pump out and set off towards Norwich…… possibly stopping at Whitlingham Country Park then coming back to Bramerton for the night.

It turned really cold when we were at the boatyard and the sky turned really dark, rain wasn’t far off

As we got to about 10 minutes from Bramerton the Heaven's opened and we had to switch to the lower helm.

We decided there was little point in going to Whitlingham and decided to moor at Brammerton.

We moored and just relaxed for a while & soon the rain stopped. We decided to just stay here for the night & Peter & I went out for a bit of a stroll towards Surlingham (but not all the way)

As the afternoon wore on it turned out really pleasant and warm And I spent some time watching the birds (Terns I think) fishing in the river.

we had sone more great skies in the evening.

Another great day….. doesn’t need to be gloriously sunny to have a great day.

post-30046-0-05680100-1431211197_thumb.jpost-30046-0-29123900-1431210945_thumb.jpost-30046-0-96609500-1431211003_thumb.jpost-30046-0-23362000-1431211261_thumb.jpost-30046-0-73776300-1431211319_thumb.j

• Like 7

I feel I should just advise people that this sort of experience on the southern rivers is very rare. All of the photos have very clearly been photo shopped to remove the grey skies and constant rain  :summertime: which plagues the rivers south of Great Yarmouth. The commentary has clearly omitted the daily battles with ferocious tides, the sea monsters which await the unwary mariner, the endless string of overpriced public house selling sour beer  :cry and stodgy food :mad:, the pirates pirate, the lack of moorings, the rubbish fishing Fish1 and the dog eat dog attitude :taunt: which pervades the boating fraternity of the southern rivers.

Trust me, gentle reader, your much safer and much better off up north. meanwhile, purely in the case of public interest I shall continue to cruise these wild, untamed southern rivers to ensure the navigation is retained. I shall suffer the pubs, such as the Ferry House at Surlingham, The Kings at Loddon, The Locks at Geldeston, the Commodore at Oulton Broad and many others, all on your behalf of course!

:twisted:

• Like 10

Hi Monica

It was Silver Elegance (they've just launched Silver Serenity while we were there which is identical)

Its. 6 birth boat but there was only 3 of us (me mum & brother) so had plenty of space.

Mum is 84 and feels the cold but was warm all week.

Not the cheapest boat but we feel it was worth every penny

Here here Paul. Do we need to give Dave a few warning points for advertising the southern broads..? 

I'll let my parents know though you are referring to them as Sea monsters.. (Probably spot on though!)..

David. Keep going mate, this is brilliant.. Pictures are stunning. The southern broads is lovely and you are clearly capturing them really well ;) 

• Like 4

Here here Paul. Do we need to give Dave a few warning points for advertising the southern broads..? 

I'll let my parents know though you are referring to them as Sea monsters.. (Probably spot on though!)..

David. Keep going mate, this is brilliant.. Pictures are stunning. The southern broads is lovely and you are clearly capturing them really well ;)

Hi Alan,

At least you didn't say "there be dragons" only references to monsters so you might get away with it. :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I have to confess dear reader that I have been well & truly caught out by Paul. two guns after the last post

This is indeed a work of fiction of a place that only exists in the mind.

The weather was atrocious :summertime: ; the boat was totally uncontrollable in the strong tides and high winds :Stinky  and I won’t  mention the nasty river monsters and pirates pirate appearing through the thick fog. :nosey:

I won’t begin to explain how long it took to photoshop the pictures to remove every single drop of rain and replace the dark skies.

The piece should really have been titled “Tales from the DARKSIDE”

I really would advise you to remain in the safe sheltered waters of the North.

You have been warned.  rofl rofl :wasted:

Day 6 Thursday 30th April 2015

The Story Continues

We again woke to a bright sunny morning at the lovely mooring that is Brammerton.

post-30046-0-68360400-1431380538_thumb.j

Today we were heading for Oulton Broad and the powerboat racing.

After breakfast we set off firstly heading again to our boatyard in Brundall for water and to get a pumpout, (the gauge suddenly sprung to life on the way so I don’t know how reliable they are)

The weather seemed to change while we were in the boatyard, it clouded over, the wind picked up and it turned much colder.

Once topped up we were on our way again.

Hardley Mill was turning as we passed which was good to see.

post-30046-0-18502400-1431380663_thumb.j

Next port of call Reedham for a lunch stop before setting off down the New Cut where we thought we saw pirates pirate  heading towards us but no, it was  Steve & Deb coming towards us on Lady Patricia. :wave

We saw quite a few Marsh Harriers on the journey.

This boat offers great views from the top deck over the top of the reeds.

The wind had picked up as we headed down Oulton Dyke and onto the broad.

We had reserved a mooring with electric on the pontoon and it turned out to be one backing on to the broad which would give us a great view of the racing.

The wind was very strong in the marina making mooring a bit tricky (I hope no one was watching the webcam)

I aborted the first attempt and made it with the second. I mentioned to the harbor master about messing up and he said   ‘at least you got in and didn’t hit anything so that’s a result in my book’.

We had a wander round Oulton Broad and Nicholas Everett Park which is always enjoyable on a fine day before coming back to the boat for our meal.

The sundeck on the boat gave us a great view of the broad and the powerboats which we watched for a while before retiring to (you guessed it Grace) the pub.

The wind died down and we had a quiet night.

post-30046-0-64593300-1431380998_thumb.jpost-30046-0-70002700-1431381030_thumb.jpost-30046-0-84586600-1431381130_thumb.jpost-30046-0-04707200-1431381389_thumb.jpost-30046-0-19294800-1431381466_thumb.j

• Like 8

We have so enjoyed reading these Southside tales.. I'm afraid between you and that London Rascal we're now convinced that an October trip round the South on "Song of Freedom" may be in order!

So that's at least ONE extra you're responsible for...! ;-)

Jane & Jon

• Like 4

I love the south side. I also love the upper reaches of the northern rivers and Horning. I just don't like to number of boats during the school holidays. My personal preference is for the quieter parts, but we have to go during the holidays as my wife works school terms. We will spend some time up North next year.

• Like 2

We have so enjoyed reading these Southside tales.. I'm afraid between you and that London Rascal we're now convinced that an October trip round the South on "Song of Freedom" may be in order!

So that's at least ONE extra you're responsible for...! ;-)

Jane & Jon

Hi Jane,

DO IT. You won`t be disappointed. In October, most of the crowds will have gone, and the pubs and restaurants will be far less busy. We`ve stayed south on 4 occaisions, and the last was last year, so when we`re up there at the end of this month, we`ll spend a lot of time on the Thurne and Ant, and hopefully up to Coltishall lock.

• Like 2

Just to bear out my point, here is a photo taken on the River Yare, in October 2013. As you can see, the photo shopping to make it look sunny and dry was awesome. I'm especially proud of the fake oakleys. As for the wind and tide, they were so sever I had to hand the helm to my three year old son.......

post-30506-0-09782000-1431472554_thumb.j

• Like 6