The UPs and DOWNs of a Mods holiday!

Hi Iain.

I hope you didn't laugh when you passed my ugly boat at BGM.

Looks like you made the best of it after your "incident".

Norwich is a beautiful city, and Rockland Broad is 5 minutes from my mooring. I have a plan to mud weight there in july.

Do you have any photos of you smiling. :).

waiting the next installment..

My thoughts on Broadway 2.

I know other members have hired this craft, and may see it totally different from myself. It has many plus points, and IMO a few minuses also. I know, the perfect hire boat aint been built yet.

I wont go into the FE again, the bruises remind me of that adventure! My main concern is the floor. Its a beautiful wood, and sets the boat off inside, but its SLIPPY! I can see kids with their woolie socks on trying to slide on it. Both my wife and her sis were teachers and they felt the same as I do.

As I said in my blog, perhaps its the cleaning materials making it so, I am not a boat builder, but have dealt a lot with H&E over many years. My other wee niggle was for a new boat, the very noisy water pump especially when using the heads. Finally, the size of the twin beds were for us on the small side and the filling a little bit on the hard side, some memory foam would make them much more comfortable.

I cannot fault the service of Richardsons when we had to call them out. A first class service.

cheers Iain

• Like 5

Hi Iain.

I hope you didn't laugh when you passed my ugly boat at BGM.

Looks like you made the best of it after your "incident".

Norwich is a beautiful city, and Rockland Broad is 5 minutes from my mooring. I have a plan to mud weight there in july.

Do you have any photos of you smiling. :).

waiting the next installment

Sorry Mark, 

They were deleted in error yesterday! Yes I saw your Topliner it aint ugly at all. :norty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Hi Iain

I'm glad to see that your holiday wasn't totally spoiled by your accident and that you did get some decent weather.

It's such a shame when you looked forward to the holiday for so long that you were laid up for a good part of it.

I hope you're recovering well now your home.

Thanks for the blog and photos

• Like 3

Thanks David,

Yes still on the pills and lotions n potions, my one disappointment not to make the blog more light hearted as is my nature. I don't mind admitting, that fall really shook me up.

cheers Iain

• Like 5

Don't be disappointed it's been a lovely holiday tale just the same, I'm so glad you felt the Broads was still magical even though it must have been difficult to enjoy with your injuries and the pain they caused, as David said you were so looking forward to it, get well soon, bless you and thanks again for the tale and photos (I loved the one with you at the helm, although you look as though you were in pain)  :arms: a big hug and a kiss from me  :kiss

Grace

• Like 5

Once again Iain, thank you for sharing your blog with us all and hope you are now feeling a little bit better and on the mend. That boat you hired, looks nice, despite that bloody FE being where it was and the slippery floor. Let's hope that Clive has the FE resited, where it is less of a hazard. All in all, you managed to make the most of your holiday and thank's to Scoot, you were able to see quite a lot of Norwich, which is a beautiful city. Wendy and I enjoyed our few days there, before heading for Ely and home. We are looking forward to our next visit to the Broads at the end of September for a week, aboard Topliner 3, but once again, will be staying in the North. Meanwhile, we have a week in Devon to look forward to in three weeks time.

Take it easy Iain and enjoy the rest of the summer.  cheers  cheers  cheers

• Like 2

Hi Iain,

Stokesby another of my favorite places to moor especially if you can moor on the green.

The low ceiling in the pool room at the Ferry Inn with all the cue chalk markes on it is something else.

This was another pub that had an outside toilet/shower room; a few years ago we were going to make use of it but it was out of order because of swallows roosting in there.

The current is very strong directly outside of the pub and many crews find it hard to moor up unless they can throw a line or two ashore.

Is the candle shop still open or did it close?

I remember it is somewhat of a trek to the the Post Office.

Regards

Alan

Done Devon and Dorset both differing counties, BOTH very long drives! :naughty:  I was just beginning to re-enjoy Dorset when Mr Ryanair pulled the plug on flights from Prestwick to Bournemouth Grrrrrr!!!!

Of the two counties I slightly favour Dorset, but Devon has its "high spots" also, like Beer Heights and the Peco Railway, is that still there I wonder? Oh and of course Yeovilton Air Museum

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain,

'Twas a great tale and a good read. Shame about you giving the FE a 'Glasgow Kiss' and coming off second best ;). We hope the aches and bruising are healing fast.

It appears you still managed to enjoy your holiday even after the incident. Great pictures by the way.

The only thing for it is to book another trip ASAP :), you know you want to.

cheers

Steve & Deb

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your kind comments, and YES ...WE DO! But, and its a big but. the roadworks up North just now are adding a fair bit of driving time to Norfolk if driving in daytime.

For more years than I care to remember we drove straight down on a Friday after work and with certain yards were able to get on board and sort all the paperwork the following morning. If not, we stopped at a lay-by near RAF Cranwell for a bit of zzzzz then arrive in time for breakfast etc. I had it down to just under 7hours driving time then. It took nearly 7 hours just to get to West Lynn this time. Once the A1M is upgraded in 2017 things should improve. 

We have already looked at all the boating options for a possible trip, well its not every year you celebrate 40 years hard labour, oops, sorry, wedded bliss, who types this stuff? :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Sunday 10th May.

By now the sun was out and it was for the first time feeling warm. Sun roofs pressed back, I did like the electric roofs. and onwards to Rockland where the Admiral had kindly arranged a mooring on the left as we entered the staithe, ideal for me to get off!

John was waiting for us as we entered the moorings, and kindly tied us up. I do not drink now as you all know, however I did have a very nice pint of Black Sheep with John in the New Inn and a guid chin wag.

You could tell he had been abroad, as he was very brown. Later in the evening John came back to our boat to show us photos of his holidays. However when he got up to go and sit on the helmsman seat, thud, he whacked his head on the centre spar, blood drawn a dressing was applied to his bonce. I am 6ft tall and just graze it John being 2" taller had left his DNA on the ceiling, ouch! A Glenmorangie was called for to help him recover, and I felt it was only right I kept him company and had one also :naughty:  He was then off to Friday Girl, for the early start in the morning.

attachicon.gifP1000537.JPGattachicon.gifP1000547.JPG

cheers Iain.

And a lovely glass it was, Iain, complete with "Scotch" water! Worrar you like, Bor?  cheersbar

• Like 1

Thank you Simon, these modern cameras do help in taking such pics. Sadly, I never took anything like the footage I intended to take. Just means I will have to come down again and do better! :naughty:

The leg is healing up very very slowly, I drove the car for the first time in a week this morning, just in town. 

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Just a wee update on my sair leg, a day short of nine weeks since the accident occured, and the leg is still not healed properly. Have had courses of pills antibiotics to try and clear it up, plus dressings galore. 

At least now its not painfull, and I am able to drive again without any problems.

I also was wondering if Clive found another place for that Fire Extinguisher? I thought as I said in my blog, that behind the helmsman seat may have been ideal.

I would hate some other poor soul to have the same thing happen to them.

Time now for the next seven weeks to take in The Ashes Test series! Yes, a Scot supporting England at Cricket!  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Good news you are feeling better Iain.. Still not good you aren't all fixed up though.. Although now you can drive I think a trip down to te broads and the broads air would help ;)

Let's hope Clives (team) have managed to move the extinguisher.

cheers 

• Like 1

It can take such a long time for legs to heal but I'm glad to hear it's not as painful now and you are able to get around.

if I recall correctly the fire extinguishers on SR2 were just inside the door at the stern of the boat and in a corner of the galley over the worktop. Quite well out of the way.

But Steve being 6'4 tends to keep his baseball hat on most of the time to protect his head from all those low doorways and ceilings after a very nasty scrape exiting the boat to moor up a couple of years ago.

Jean.

• Like 2