Baofeng PMR Radio Help!

Hi All,

(Sorry Mod's I know this isn't broads related although as Robin and V8Vogue suggested this I'm thinking others maybe interested).

I brought this radio Boafeng UV-B6:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QLX3F4S/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

I've opened the box... Put the battery in.. Pressed some buttons and I'm gone now.. Despite working in IT I'm far from a techy these days and I'm easily lost!  :pcwhack:

What do I do now?? :dunce:  lol 

Ideally I'd like this radio to have the PMR Channels on it so buttons 1 to 9 do PMR.. Although I understand it does VHF which I (and the boat) has a licence for, so I'd like it (if it can do it) to have buttons 12, 16 and 77 as VHF. I don't want to play around too much as I think this also uses a licenced band which I don't have a licence for..

It has no software disk and no USB lead (Do I need to get a lead?).. where do I get the lists from? (I guess google but don't want to pick the wrong one).

Sorry to be lazy/stupid but I don't like playing with these things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers 

I am sure that these radios need programming in some way. They do not work straight out of the box so to speak on both VHF and PMR as do other makes. I think I read it here or maybe in the other place.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping Colin (v8vogue) or Robin notice this as they both recommended these as they use on the broads..

I think its preprogrammed with something but it's all long mhz number and no idea what they are lol! :dunce: Apparently it's fully programmable but only to people that know!

First impressions though, it seems very well built so once it's all set up it should be good. 

cheers

Good evening JawsOrca,

Yes indeed channel 4 would be channel 4.

PMR 446 is 8 UHF channels that can be broken down into sub channels known as Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or CTCSS (which is sometimes called tone squelch). Let's say that you have more than one group of people using the same channel, CTCSS mutes the other users if they are using a different CTCSS tone or no CTCSS... you can wake up now!

The radios that you can buy over the counter in Maplins or even online can range from simple to advanced.

As Robin (London Rascal) has said above, the one that he uses is initially a 70cm & 2m amateur radio (VHF) but this can be reprogrammed to use the PMR frequencies.

I use the same type as Robin except mine is waterproof and I have programmed mine only with channels 1 to 8 (No CTCSS) and removed the access to the amateur bands. Like Robin, I can recommend both his choice and mine as they do what it says on the box.  

I bought a pair from fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Upgrades-2PCS-NEW-BAOFENG-UV-5X-UHF-VHF-Dual-Band-2-Way-Radio-Cable-UK-Ship-/111535174776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f803b478 and they came within a couple of days with the data cable and some chinese software to program the units. A quick look at the UK site and I was able to download the software in English. The radio can still be programmed manually but I suffer from 'Fat Finger' and decided that the computer was a better option.

Sorry for boring the pants of everyone.

Alan, this is what Colin posted re the radio. Not sure it will help :)

cheers

I am really sorry this is not in focus and I go on a lot (and then the bloody memory card ran out)

BUT...I hope helps you a little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y10dRinBL0&feature=youtu.be

*at time of psoting video still processing on You Tube.

• Like 1

Many Thanks Robin. If you have done this following this post them I'm very very grateful and honoured :bow (I'm still naturally the same for you taking the time to reply too though!).. Really looking forward to watching it once processed. I'll message another thanks message back once viewed.  cheersbar

Thanks too Siddy and others who replied, it's very kind of you guys.. I've ordered the USB lead and think I found the place for the CD.. just need to go from there now! Seriously appreciate the help though :)  

Hi Robin,

Thanks a lot for this again.. I can follow you perfectly but I can't type the numbers.. if I type 446006 the voice say 446006 but on the screen it shows 446000. I have step as 25k (with the arrow on the upper line), SQL as 1, Low TXFreq.. the Narrow bit too. Any ideas? I guess it's not going to be on the right channel if it saves 446000 (It's the same for the others.. I can't get the right number entered.. some of them it even changes what I put in! i.e 446031 it changes it to 44625).

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your time and assistance!

cheers

I bought one of these, it is a pain to set them manually, but dooable, but I bought the programming lead with software, linked to my PC and downloaded it to the radio, much easier, and easy to change to lower power for the PMR channels too.

I programmed all sorts of channels, to do with marine use, to listen in only of course, as you shouldn't transmit on most marine channels without the appropriate licence.

PMR ok, but this radio can transmit at higher power than is allowed for that application.

Having saved the programme, it is easy to download with the lead, if you accidentally corrupt a channel out on the boat, which is easy to do if you are messing with it.

In the wrong hands, this radio could cause all sorts of interference issues on other channels, and you could be held to account, so choose your channels and power carefully.

If you only want it for PMR, then just buy a cheap PMR radio, that will give you the sub channels too, but these only filter what comes in on your radio, and the conversation can be heard on other radios on the main channel, even without the subchannel idents. There are still only 8 channels in total.

Note... radio transmissions can be listened in to, it is not illegal, but what can be, is using the information for personal gain

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Richard, Some good points as I mentioned I'm not going to play around too much.. with Robins kind video though I'm more comfortable with it and I do understand what it's doing. I probably won't add in VHF for now as I'm a bit worried about this like you say (and I have my normal vhf Radio too but eventually it would be a good back up (we are both licenced and trained on VHF though so I can use this although I only every use for Somerleyton bridge it seems!).  Robins video does tell us how to remove the other frequencies which is very important I think.

Just to add.. I worked out why I couldn't get the 446006. For some reason this radio (I think one newer than robins) is slightly different than robins and seems you can't type them.. With this one you need to set the step as 6.25 (not 2500 as with Robins). Even with this step you still can't type it like Robins radio.. You type 446006 and press the up key this then shows the correct number and you can save that then as per robins instructions. I will probably try the computer programme approach when my lead arrives too just out of interest.  So many many many thanks Robin .. It's all set up and I'll take it have it on me this weekend... beer on me when I meet you!   cheersbar

cheers

"you shouldn't transmit on most marine channels without the appropriate licence" I think I took my Tx just off channel incase the ppt is pressed. I will have to get the other laptop out to check mine.

Alan have you got a full list of vhf channels used round the coast? I can send one over.

Now this is quite interesting as I pm'd robin early this morning regarding a pmr that I saw him using on one of his blogs and he mentioned he'd uploaded an info vid re all the above, so a bit spooky really!

Now.. Looking for a pair, I used the link posted above re Amazon that they had bought, what's interesting is the link here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baofeng-65-108MHz-Intercom-Amateur-Walkie-Black/dp/B00CCKTRX2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_24?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DQVJ286GWPZH4R5YVDQ

Which I'm assuming is the same item the rascal uses by the looks of it

Did notice just the one review where reviewer says it's totally not legal to TX or RX on it and it's not as he says for 'many reasons' not pmr legal in the UK.

Now this guy is either talking out of his orifice or works for a competitor, the link I have looks like it posted from China whereas the link from above offers next day delivery.

I probably will get a set if they have any by the time I order (only 2 left when I looked)

Just curious if these are actually street legal as they say.

Ray

Here are the 8 PMR channels, you will not be able to set up this radio with sub channels as the PMR radios add a sub tone to the transmission, which is used by the PMR receiver to decode it. If someone transmits with a PMR on channel 6.3 and another on channel 6.5 then this radio will pick them both up on channel 6

post-660-0-91006800-1432234505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Aldi or Lidl often sell them as a pair, we use our PMR's when I take the boat round to the mooring, and the wife takes the car.

Useful too, if one of you goes shopping, but all hell breaks loose when a call comes in, when you are in the middle of Roys lol.

Not as "discrete" as a mobile phone... enough said.

They will also work car to car, if you are travelling in convoy, I've used them in the house when doing DIY jobs, like running cables through walls and ceiling.

If you want a PMR radio with a good few kilometres range and will work out of the box then get some PMR radios such as to be found here:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FJYN9Q4

If however you want something that can receive and transmit on VHF as well, then you might want the likes of the Baofeng models.

Robin, Hi.

Would you believe that I've just spent half an hour investigating PMR's as most seemed to have them at the meet. (Ihadn't then read your post).

Here's what I came up with!   :clap  :clap  :clap 

Cobra MT645 Walkie Talkie Radio with Batteries and Charging Cable (Pack of 2) Price:  £35.03 & FREE Delivery in the UK.

Well as I sit here I'm waiting for parcel farce to deliver my two Baofeng uvb6 units, (also ordered the programming cable, but that's not due till next week) have been reading some of the ham websites regarding the radio, most agree it's a good bit of kit, works well etc etc.

I was a teensey bit worried about their legality to use in the U.K - from some of the ham forums it would appear it's due to the fact that dedicated PMR units sold in the UK (the ones in Aldi, LIDL, Argos et al) have fixed aerials, fixed channels and low power outputs and only TX and RX on the 466 freq.

Whereas the baofeng (and others I would guess) are totally customisable and power output is adjustable from 1w and 5w outputs and use UHF and VHF bands, and in the wrong hands could cause havoc to coastal radio etc etc, but the consensus appears to be, programmed right they are superb bits of kit and to date no one has had a knock on the door from the relevant authorities regarding owning one.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a wet blanket here! What I'm trying to say if you feel confident in programming it correctly then steam on and it will be ideal for comms boat to boat/shore etc otherwise just buy a off the shelf PMR like Robin kindly linked to a few posts back.

In fact I have contacted my Local RSGW club with a view to taking the foundation exam (which looks very easy and covers this unit so I'm led to believe) and at least cover any possible probs with owning it, least I can use a call sign when I use it :-)

Sorry for the long post! And I wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade, I get the impression their are a few members with radio experience on here and bow to their higher knowledge.

Now where's the damn postman....

Ray