Baofeng PMR Radio Help!

I agree these are good radio's having owned a couple of UV5-R's, However as pointed out in the post these tx in the Amateur 2m and 70cm bands which you cannot do without a licence from OFCOM.

Also you cannot use these for PMR as the law states that the ERP must not be over 0.5w and not have a removable antenna!

You may be better off getting a pair from Asda, Tesco, Argos or Maplin as they usually do a pair for around the £20 mark.

I'm Licenced so have all sorts programmed in, some to listen too only and others to transmit. The local Amateur Repeater at Lowestoft is on 433,500mhz input and Norwich 433.000mhz.

You can listen to the Broads Patrol boats on  162.500mhz & 162.500mhz if you enjoy listening to the BA checking that our boats are Toll Compliant.

If you do get the data cable or are near Lowestoft or Northern Broads this week coming i'll gladly program in all local frequencies for you with my cable. With this you also get the names displayed and not just frequencies. Give me a shout on PMR 1 as monitor it most of the time.

Good luck and regards

Jay M6JPK

• Like 2

Thanks Jay for the kind offer of programming the radios for me, unfortunately,I won't be at the broads til early September, but have to say, I'd probably wouldn't be happy with just vanilla one, am I right in what I was led to believe that taking the foundation exam covers you albeit for listening in? Have done the mock exam posted on a few sites and passed 100% it is something I have an interest in, maybe a bit late in starting but it's just something else to keep the mind active.

The radios arrived just before 1pm and currently on charge, have to say, for the money they look well built, would suspect their is a lot of Lsi on the internal circuitry, and the chargers came as UK 13amp compliant.

Am going to open up the charging base and see if it's a smart charger, if not will knock up a proper one for it.

As the lead won't be here for a week or so will manually program the pmr and the ones you suggested and generally have a fiddle.

Ray

Just an update to the above... have had the radios a few days and gotten to grips with the menus and settings, just a few points if anyone is contemplating getting a set, the easiest way to programme them is to use a laptop and lead, there is a but.... a big but.... the recognised software for these and other radios of this ilk is CHIRP (Chinese Radio Programmer so I'm led to believe) and is available for free from chirp.danplanet (I would post a link but for some reason i'm not able to :rolleyes: ).

The Chirp software works with the majority of the UVB5/6 models unless... your UVB6 happens to have a menu consisting of 27 items... then forget it - 28 or 29 items in your menu option then you should be fine, the only way I could get it to work was to use the software from the Beofeng website and using the drivers required for the programmer lead. (if anyone wants more info just pm me and i'll sort out the correct drivers you need and where to get them)

Suffice to say the Beofeng software works, but doesn't look as slick or as well laid out as the CHIRP version, and feels a bit clunky - hopefully when the elves at danplanet find the time they will update the Chirp Software, they seem quite on the ball.

The plan is to load the PMR channels (which I have done) to both radios and set them to channel mode so it only works on the channels programmed and set them at the lowest power setting.

I have spoken to a few guys at our local amateur radio club and I am in the process of joining and signing up for the foundation course so I can play with it properly :party: and have loaded the local repeater into it so I can have a listen to what's going on.

cheers for reading :wave

Ray

• Like 1

Interested to hear you are looking at amateur radio operation Ray.

I have had an Amateur Radio Licence for a number of years    (   Callsign:  G0GJR  )

I know this thread is really about the Baufeng units but it would be interesting to know if there are any other  Radio Amateurs who are also members of this forum.

All the best

Arthur

• Like 2

you can manually program these radios, Allthough I havn't used a baofeng I have used a yaesu VX2, yaesu VX7 and an Icom IC-E7 which I have manually programmed.

I've also manually programmed a yaseu 857 and a yaesu 897, and my Kenwood ts450 which can store a number of frequencies.

M3YVY

• Like 1

Interested to hear you are looking at amateur radio operation Ray.

I have had an Amateur Radio Licence for a number of years    (   Callsign:  G0GJR  )

I know this thread is really about the Baufeng units but it would be interesting to know if there are any other  Radio Amateurs who are also members of this forum.

All the best

Arthur

you can manually program these radios, Allthough I havn't used a baofeng I have used a yaesu VX2, yaesu VX7 and an Icom IC-E7 which I have manually programmed.

I've also manually programmed a yaseu 857 and a yaesu 897, and my Kenwood ts450 which can store a number of frequencies.

M3YVY[/quote

Hi guys, thanks for the replys, slightly sad news is our local clubs next intake of noobies is the til early sept and I will be on the broads around that time and knowing my luck the foundation nights will land right during the week I'm away, haven't worked it out yet, but it's still something i will do, just would have been nice to see if we could have made contact using call signs ( a lowly M6xxx :-) )

I shall no doubt have acquired something a bit more suitable for the job than the Boefengs when it gets nearer the time, though they seem to have quite a range of models to choose from at prices Aldi would struggle to beat, and despite criticism from some of the more die hards, it seems to have the spec and build quality is something some of the bigger players could take on board.

I know it's of limited interest on here and me being me, I did dissect one of the charging bases as the charging time of around 5hrs is a tad slow and from the look of the circuitry isn't very battery friendly and I will be building a smart charger circuit for it to charge at a more reasonable speed without harming the cells, if anyone is interested I'll post some pics when I've done the deed.

P.s did anyone notice the site went a bit squiffy last night? All seems well this morning.

cheers everyone and have a good day

Ray

• Like 1

I couldn't log on for a while last night, probably site maintenance

Sorry Jonzo broke it..  :hardhat:   :pcwhack:  Although it was a quick and easy fix :) At least it was Jonzo and not me  :wasted:

On Subject. I'm a bit wary of these Boafengs after googling so I think/hope me and SteveandDebs are going halves on the cobra set someone posted up which seems a better idea. I'll keep hold of my Boafeng as a backup though but I've not got the time to do the course and don't want to use too much.

• Like 3

Sorry Jonzo broke it.. :hardhat::pcwhack: Although it was a quick and easy fix :) At least it was Jonzo and not me :wasted:

On Subject. I'm a bit wary of these Boafengs after googling so I think/hope me and SteveandDebs are going halves on the cobra set someone posted up which seems a better idea. I'll keep hold of my Boafeng as a backup though but I've not got the time to do the course and don't want to use too much.

Hi Alan, I should have done a quick site status check it was in their doh....

As far as the radios go I think your probably right, the Cobras will do the job just as many others like them, the binatone ones have been getting some good support as well, the Baofengs are just an alternative but don't work straight out of the box and has been mentioned before they aren't strictly legal for use on PMR channels due to various reasons, one of the main I guess being they are way to powerful even at their lowest setting.

Will be nice to see how they behave on the broads and what the BA chappies are up to :-)

Ray

• 2 years later...

Rather than start a new thread, and since I have already posted on this one, over 2 years ago,  I just wondered how we are all getting on with our Baofeng radios.

I now have 2 uv-B5, I bought the second one recently, for around £22 as one of my pmr radios decided to go pop, so for £22 it seemed a good option.

We use them at the locks on the Thames, as sometimes the holding area can be just out of site of lock operations.

I have the programming lead, so I have now added the new marine channels, but being inland won't be a lot of use, but we do travel by car too. Both radios are a clone of each other.

This morning I was monitoring PMR channel 1 using low power, so if I was back to my cb days I would have called.... "On the side, on the side" but for some reason it didn't seem appropriate. lol.

On low power I struck up a conversation with a guy that I found out was 9 miles away, the conversation was as clear as if he was in my garden, In fact I did look to make sure. lol. 

On the Broads I did monitor Broads Control, and at certain times of day they gave out the weather forecast.

We also found marine channel 12 good, as it gave port operations through Gt Yarmouth and 14 for Lowestoft. To be fair, monitoring channel 16, the calling channel was quite boring, as there was very little communications.

I had hoped to get a feel for the marine channels, protocol etc and then take the radio exam, but health issues meant we had to move away from the Broads, and to be fair, no one uses channel 16 on the upper Thames. 

As mentioned before, I am aware of the misuse of radios, and would not transmit on the marine frequencies, or any other unlicensed frequencies but on the other hand, the radio remains capable of these transmissions. For example, we might have a licenced operator on board, or we might have to make an emergency call, so our radios remain fully operational.

For the PMR channels these baofeng radios don't meet the regulations, even on low power, the radios are a few dB over on signal strength, and they do have removeable aerials, in fact on my 9 mile range transmission that I mentioned, I actually used a smaller stubby aerial that I bought. Hmm, if that works that well... might get another one lol. The reason I bought it was, when the canopy was up, and the radio was on the dash, the canopy rested on the aerial, and I didn't want to bend my rubber duck. lol

The write ups on the uv-B5 are very good, there is the odd one that doesn't perform, but with the vast quantity made, it doesn't surprise me.

Best regards,

Richard 

Living by the sea I have one on ch16 and 86 so that I can listen to the Coastguard forecast at 7.50 while I have my Special K. Another on 12 to listen to Yarmouth when on the boat and one monitoring PMR Ch4. 

As you can see I ended up with 3 different antena, the one on the left is the worst the other two about the same. The high capacity batteries you see really do extend standby time but my favourite is the blue fitted with the stubby because it fits in my shirt pocket and I can listen to port control on days out at Wells etc. Have to agree for the money they are very well built.DSC_0443.thumb.JPG.a2c36487020d5e99cb12ae5986dd4c72.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, ChrisB said:

...As you can see I ended up with 3 different antena, the one on the left is the worst the other two about the same. The high capacity batteries you see really do extend standby time but my favourite is the blue fitted with the stubby because it fits in my shirt pocket and I can listen to port control on days out at Wells etc.

I saw the extended batteries for sale, you photo explains why they were an "L" shape. Very neat. I can see now why I too, have 3 radios, 2 baofeng and a pmr that can scan all channels and sub channels.

For the baofeng, I bought the battery eliminator, just an empty battery case shell with a simple regulator in side, but not tried it yet, but reviews show that on some, the heatsink inside is too small, so shuts down until it cools again, so I think it might be out with the nut crackers to open the case and do my own electronics lol. or just simply fit a larger heat sink. Will see how it works first, probably be fine on receive or standby, and as it's only used for short lock operations, probably won't be an issue.

All this equipment, and the only call we ever get is on the mobile from our daughter lol...

Richard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I took the plunge and bought a UV5-R, then wondered what I'd use it for! now I wonder why I didn't get one ages ago, so far over the bank holiday it's been a godsend for finding mooring spots and arranging meetings, warning of boat jams and a few idiots, , I took the plunge and bought the 701 antenna upgrade as everyone told me the rubber ducky was rubbish, it's not that good but better than the 701 as mine turned out to be a fake, I tried a genuine one and it's spot on for what I need, so new 701 on order and then a mag mount one, working out Chirp took a bit of doing but youtube to the rescue, even learned how to set it to not transmit on the channels I shouldn't use, just in case I hit the send button when being nosey, I still need to learn how to do the other frequency's so I can listen in, as I thought you just hit scan and it found them but it seems it only locks on if they are transmitting and you have it in your list, the only downside I found was a load of kids transmitting this weekend from a campsite, but moving channel solved that,

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, SteveDuk said:

Time for an idiot question now. If you have an amateur radio licence is it still illegal to use something like a  UV5-R on PMR channels?

Anyone can transmit on the PMR channels without a licence of any form...

However.... there is a maximum transmit power that the PMR frequencies can use.

Unfortunately even selecting the lower power transmitt option in the settings, the Baofeng is just over this limit. So technically not legal. Who will check this violation?  I guess if there are complaints then advice followed by prosecutions may follow. 

Personally I have not heard of any prosecutions as yet. 

There are a lot of people using them for this application, even on the higher powers, and 8 miles is possible..... so I am told... of course...

• Like 1

I bought a couple of Cobra PMR radios, from Amazon that do the trick!

CobraPMR.jpg.8277c1c0486c3aba625dd932222eabc4.jpg

Easy to use & keep charged aboard our boat, with a USB socket.

Distance isn't fantastic, but good if you're on passage with other vessels. :14_relaxed:

I use them at work, when I'm in the bilge and my colleague is turning the wrong nut outside!!

(It saves a lot of shouting)

To answer the question above, an Amateur (Ham) Radio licence does not allow you to transmit on PMR channels.

These Baofeng rigs are not legal for use on PMR. You have to use the low power, type approved, devices which are sold for the purpose. Anyone can do this, no licence required.

Nigel (Ham radio station G4AXA)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, woodwose said:

To answer the question above, an Amateur (Ham) Radio licence does not allow you to transmit on PMR channels.

These Baofeng rigs are not legal for use on PMR. You have to use the low power, type approved, devices which are sold for the purpose. Anyone can do this, no licence required.

Nigel (Ham radio station G4AXA)

Thanks Nigel,

Stupid question 2:

Does a ham radio licence cover you for using the Marine VHF frequencies?

And how come you can answer these questions in English when the Ofcom site (and others) send you on an endless loop of weblinks all written in techspeak :default_biggrin:

To use the Marine vhf frequencies a Marine Radio licence is required and there are a number of courses available.

An Amateur Radio Licence is only valid for transmission on the frequencies permitted for Amateur Radio operation.

I did try out one of these Beofeng Radios and discovered they had a tendancy to cause interference on frequencies other then they one they were transmitting on.  

Arthur ( G0GJR)