Swancraft

NorfolkNog

It reads elsewhere that they are selling the boats but keeping on the yard, if this is correct it does seem odd to me as surely the hire aspect of the business must be viable especially with their quality boats and reputation. If the whole yard came up for sale boats and all I for one would be in to see my business manager at the bank faster than you could say swancraft !!

It reads elsewhere that they are selling the boats but keeping on the yard, if this is correct it does seem odd to me as surely the hire aspect of the business must be viable especially with their quality boats and reputation. If the whole yard came up for sale boats and all I for one would be in to see my business manager at the bank faster than you could say swancraft !!

Licence to print money, thats why we are all at it... 

I think the dream may be better than the reality, look at the capital involved as well as the amount of work,  

Lets hope the boats go  to another fleet, otherwise that will be 12 X hire boat tolls lost.. 

• Like 2

a yard this size needs A owner operator  who will be the manager, the boat builder, engineer and reception as well as cleaner,  needs a partner who is cleaner and reception and kids who take an interest, 

Work all the hours, don't take holidays. 

• Like 6

Hi All

As mentioned earlier we were informed about this on Friday when we returned the boat but didn’t post earlier so staff could be informed. We were very pleased and appreciative that Paul took the time out to inform us personally.

We did have a good discussion about this and there are a number of factors involved both personal and business considerations. The decision has not been taken lightly and I must stress that there is nothing involved regarding the integrity of the business.

The intention is that the yard will continue to carry out private work which I understand has been going very well. I am not sure about the boatbuilding side but don’t see any reason why this would not continue.

Obviously while fully appreciating Swancraft’s position I am very sad at the prospect of not being able to hire from them in the future.

We have been customers with Swancraft for many years now and it almost feels like being one of the family rather than a customer. I could not begin to list all the help and support we have received in such a friendly and accommodating way.

On a pro rata basis Swancraft must have one of the most up to date fleets on the Broads. The boats are fitted out and maintained to a very high standard without cutting corners on either maintenance or fitting out.

As hirers it is a sad time for us but we wish Paul, Emma, Tony and Jen all the very best for the future and we are determined to call in the yard on some basis to see them again. Needless to say if those lottery numbers come up they will be our first port of call.

Gutted but understanding if that makes sense.

• Like 5

a sad ole doo            in deed 

its hard work .....................

good luck with that sale ......................

investment .................correct time .....correct effort etc etc etc etc...................

Very sad news indeed, a terrible shame the Broads are going to lose another hire base. I feel for you Howard as I know how much you loved and respected Swan Craft. Where will you hire from now? 

I've heard Richardson's aren't bad lol

Grace 

• Like 1

a yard this size needs A owner operator  who will be the manager, the boat builder, engineer and reception as well as cleaner,  needs a partner who is cleaner and reception and kids who take an interest, 

Work all the hours, don't take holidays. 

Hi Clive,

That sounds like a job discription for the average self employed person, but you forgot to add the part about also being a tax collector :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I am sure that Swancraft will not be the end to this. 

Most small yards would struggle to replace vessels with newly built craft as the investment is massive and the ROI minuscule. Most smaller yards can only tread water these days. 

It is a sad day to see this, but expect more. 

Very sorry to hear this, I have never hired from Swancraft (we always stay north) but always admired their boats and heard good reports.  I was worried a few weeks ago about Summercraft but all is ok there for at least another year, really do hope the smaller yards don't disappear.

• Like 4

it's always sad to see, been a while since I've hired, but have had swancraft boats in the past and always been pleased with them and the service they provided.

From an outsiders view it does seem a licence to print money, but being self emplyoyed myself I understand the commitment required to run a business and the on costs etc.

a sad loss to the broads and the community.

Ray

• Like 5

Jonzo in some cases static caravan site fees can be as much if not more than toll/insurance/moorings. That is if you prefer a site with facilities and not just be in the middle of a farmers field! We looked into Carlton Meres in suffolk last year and if memory serves the site fees were in excess of £3000 per year.

My mate has a brand new Caravan/ Lodge its over 13ft wide at Haggerston Castle, on a prime site, and its a lot more than £3k a year. His residence comes with all mod cons, and summat. Mood lighting breakfast bar dishwasher/ washing machine etc etc. I am amazed what they can produce out of a tin box, However, when it comes to what I call real craftmanship, boat building is in a class of its own IMHO. Hence the costs are much more as there are so many different shapes and sizes to consider and fit in.

My only concern at present is, very few, if any smaller craft are being built. Swancraft do/did have several smaller boats. so hopefully will remain in hire fleets, but I have my doubts.

cheers Iain.

Jonzo in some cases static caravan site fees can be as much if not more than toll/insurance/moorings. That is if you prefer a site with facilities and not just be in the middle of a farmers field! We looked into Carlton Meres in suffolk last year and if memory serves the site fees were in excess of £3000 per year.

In places such as Bakewell in Derbyshire the ground rents for static caravans are between £2400 and £3000, electric is on top of that. The other problem is that the caravan is only allowed to be on site for say 10 to 15 years and then you loose the right to use it, you can of course upgrade or remove the caravan from the site. I am sure other sites throughout the country have a similar policy.

Regards

Alan