Princess - The Review

LondonRascal

Watch the Boats Review

Princess is sedan style boat sailing from Richardson's Stalham boatyard - boat details and booking - and there are two in the class (I hired No. 2). 

She is very similar to Executive which is of the same design, just the interior and layout being slightly different.

At 7ft 9" she is not too tall so will pass under Ludham unless a very bad day at all states of tide, and there should not be much cause of concern for Yarmouth as long as you don't passage outside the usual time/tidal window.

A partial re-fit makes the inside a very comfortable place, with light wood effect and real wood finishes, a large full size cooker and a very light and airy saloon not to mention well proportioned cabins and two heads (one of which is ensuite).

Frankly a giveaway price being able to be hired from Thursday to Tuesday (5 nights) for the same price as a Friday to Monday (3 night) break.  £418.00 for almost a week including fuel and waivers in May means this is a very affordable boat for parties up to 6 in size.

Of course there are some cons, the fact the engine (an old hot running BMC) is on hydraulic drive - so you get that whine of these systems when underway coupled with vibrations of an older engine design.  The hot water tank is not lagged so don't expect warm water to last through the night and the view from the helm is rather limited.

That said, very comfortable to live on, sleep on, cook on and that attractive price makes it hard to pull too many holes in this very practical cruiser.

post-534-0-27433000-1433264012_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-90987600-1433265593_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice! cheers Robin, I'll enjoy your video when I get the chance to watch. The photos look great. It's not a boat I've ever paid much attention to on account of the fact the helmsman's position is too enclosed for my taste, but the fit out looks really good.

I made use of the 5 night deal last October and I agree it's brilliant. I felt like I was getting 2 nights for free, which I was really.

Thanks for sharing Robin. As always I love being noisy with you!. A really good review and a very well priced boat considering for the size.. A couple of hundred quid, two couples sharing for 5 days is amazing value. I personally think the boat has lots of character, I'm not sure I could cope with the visibility issue as I'm a bit short although a burgee pole may help on the pullpit (together with an NBN flag ;) )

cheers

It was sometimes a challenge to manoeuvre – especially things like turning at the end of Thurne Dyke in the rain which is when I found out the ‘screen demister’ was not connected to the hot air heating system and thus did no demisting. 

Other challenges was mooring stern on at the last available spot in Faircraft Loynes yard in the afternoon only to be told to go because of ‘returning boats’.  I found this odd since boats come back in the morning not late afternoon.  So with other yards full it was time for a very public mooring in the cut by Granary Staithe.  Naturally all this was filmed to be shown in a forthcoming video.

Some boats you get onboard and within minutes are comfortable with how they steer and respond to throttle and how the seat might feel and view, others take a little time to get used to and there are the odd ones that are just pains.  Having just recently had Belmore TV for 10 nights the getting used to Princess felt harder – what I think also could do with looking into is a descale of the heat exchanger as you could never sustain 5 M.P.H for too long before the temperature climbed past 85 degrees (the stated maximum on dash).

The boat however was really comfortable to be on, it had lots of light and space the seats were comfy, the fridge worked really well and despite only having 2 domestic batteries and being warm in the daytime (fridge running more) chilly at night (heating on) they never dropped below 12v, so for the first time in several hires no calls needed to be made to get an engineer and the added bonus of no electrical faults and smoke lol

In all honesty I like some of the newer boats I have hired with more controllable heating, microwaves, 240v power and newer smoother running engines – but there is something actually quite nice to go back ‘to my roots’ and get a budget boat that has all you need for a good holiday.  You are warm, dry have all the facilities you need but instead of spending close on £1,000 for a week you’ve spent a lot less than half. You will be able to explore the same rivers and stop off at the same places and it is this variation of boats and price points that no other boatyard comes close to. The fact these prices are not short term deals but long term stable terms helps too.

• Like 4