complaints

jillR

It's not difficult to remain "unbanned", it just requires a modicum of thought about how your words might come across to a wide spectrum of people.

I gather from those who have met him that he is a nice chap, but I was always intrigued that Daytona_Bill had a forum strapline which was somewhat at odds with sometimes intemperate postings.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes we do have a choice but what its got to do with you i dont know, seems like these things get discussed behind closed doors more and more the only thing i would say is there should be a more formal system of a warning in open forum so peeps can get the jist instead of left guessing. :cat:

I have an opinion Dave and can express it within the TOS that's what it has to do with me.

Read the previous posts but if you have not, let me say this so that you may be clear. The moderators of this site for reasons of confidentiality do not discuss this sort of thing in public, it is no business of ours but between the moderators and the individual. This has always been how the site is run and let me say that in my experience folks get away with more here than fora elsewhere but if you don't like it you have a choice its a free world.

bored-anim-bored-waiting-girl-smiley-emoticon-000275-medium.gif

seems like these things get discussed behind closed doors more and more the only thing i would say is there should be a more formal system of a warning in open forum so peeps can get the jist instead of left guessing.

Of course they are discussed behind closed doors Dave, that's because they are private and have nothing at all to do with anybody, and are nobody's business but the party involved and admin. Also worth noting that any sleeper usernames the banned member may have registered will be banned too as may their ISP as it is the user that is banned not the username an using such a name would be totaly underhand, as would re registering.

I have stayed out of this so far, but would like to ask one question....

Is it a team (all mods) decision to ban a person, or can one person just do it.....

Does the person about to be banned, have a chance to explain their posts, or are they just banned....

I have at all times Modded myself, typed something and about to post but thought against it...

cheersbar

I have stayed out of this so far, but would like to ask one question....

Is it a team (all mods) decision to ban a person, or can one person just do it.....

Does the person about to be banned, have a chance to explain their posts, or are they just banned....

I have at all times Modded myself, typed something and about to post but thought against it...

cheersbar

Again Geoff, that is team room business and can not be disclosed, we have confidentiallity in there too, I can't remember a major disagreement among us about banning anybody though.

Again Geoff, that is team room business and can not be disclosed

Sorry David,

It was a simple question, that only required a simple answer.

Unfortunately, I didn't get one, so I will ask again, but will put it another way.......

Do the team act like a jury, with the majority decision being final, or can one team member act alone.

This has nothing to do with the banning of any pearticular person, I am just curios.

cheersbar

Simple answer then, we will not be drawn in to a discussion that discloses the workings of the team. I guess I could say that if one person acted alone and the rest of the team disagreed then they would not be a team, would they? as in the first sentance we will not be drawn further other than to say I have noticed no discord in team recently.

What I would like to see is the procedure that takes place if a member breaches the TOS,which warrants a forum ban,I would presume that the member would be warned of behaviour via a pm,this would give the member the right to reply,if the behaviour does not improve,I would then assume that the members posting rights be suspended(not a ban),the the Mods could then decide together of any further action regarding total ban from the forum.

What I would not like to happen is that a individual could totally ban a member before discussing the case with the MOD's,because if the decision was wrong, the Mod's would be left in an difficult position,and if the ban was lifted that would be going against the individual who imposed the ban.

A ban should only be imposed after a discussion with the appropiate group of admin and mods,unless of course the incident was so seriuous that the ban was imposed immediately,and that the total ban can only be carried out by the Admin of the forum.

The above is only my opinion but I believe that is a fair process.

NB whilst I accept forum confidentiality,and names should not be named,or reasons etc being discussed,what I would like to see is a memo from the admin or mods highlighting types of behaiviour that will not be tolerated,as most members do not read the TOS they just tick the box to allow them to join.

yes,

We will not be drawn....... into answering a simple question....

Sod the workings of the team, I aint bothered about waht happens behind closed doors....

But even the English Jury system is open about how it works......

SOD IT

I have a better things to do than try to get a simple ansmer to a simple question...

PLEASE BAN ME........ COS YOU ARE SO MUCH UP YOUR OWN **** I COULD NOT BE BOTHERED ANYMORE

DAVID YOU ARE A ****

Nowadays, with ready to use dedicated free software, anyone with a PC can start a forum on any subject.

The clever part is to keep it interesting enough to attract and keep people posting on it, the true value of any of them.

The vast majority are started by one person, who then often enlists trusted members as "moderators" to assist with the day to day running.

Unless the forum was formed by an already existing club, they are not "democracies", nor can be since the "founders" have a perfect right to run them in whatever legal way they wish.

There is always a democratic solution for anyone that feels unhappy with that however, they can vote with their feet, and even start up another forum of their own, as has now happened several times with Broads Forums, some have prospered, and some haven't.

Even this one started that way.....

Well said Strowie.

I blame the 'Celebrity Culture' that we think we are entitled to every detail of private matters.

A decision has been made between the moderating team and the individual why do we need to know the details of a private matter?

Personal abuse does not become you Geoff and is outside the TOS; it is most out of character, may I suggest you edit your post.

it is most out of character, may I suggest you edit your post.

Yes it is out of character, but I will not be treated like a child...

And I can't edit the post now, it hgas been too long

If I ask a question, wether face to face or in writing, I want an answer.....

A simple YES or NO would have done........

Not some drivel about waht happens in a room......

Are we all adults on here, that can ask questions, or are we children that can be treated like so...

cheersbar:Stinkycheersbar

How many roads must a man walk down

Before you can call him a man

Yes 'n how many seas must a white dove sail

Before she sleeps in the sand

Yes and how many times must the cannonballs fly

Before they're forever banned

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind

The answer is blowing in the wind

Bob Dylan had it right

And so did John Lennon (read my signature)