A WEEK OF FIRSTS

Our week on Lightning was`nt our first on her, but it was for Karens parents, which is ironic because Karens Dad (Derek) has spent most of his life building boats, the last 20+ being with Sunseekers, yet they`ve never been on a boating holiday. Too much like a busmans holiday i suppose?, when you spend most of your life building them, you don`t want to be around them on holiday.

Saturday morning at 6am, Karen and i pick up the newbies, and we finally set off around 06.30 ish in bright weather, looking forward to what will hopefully be a trouble free journey.  Our usual route is dual carraigeway, nearly all the way to Brundall from our home in West Moors, Dorset, the journey taking the A31, M27, M3, M25, M11 / A11, then the last few miles on the A47, with "comfort stops on the M3, and A11. We had a great journey up, with no hold-ups whatsoever, which must be another first, so we   got to Norwich about 11 15 so diverted down to Loddon for lunch at Rosie Leas, where as usual, Caroline was there to greet us with a hug and a smile. Lunch was over, so it was time to head for Brooms at Brundall to board Lightning, with a stop at Budgeons in Brundall for some immediate privisions. We got to the boat and was disappointed to find only half of the upper helm screen in place, the starboard half having been taken away by another owner to straighten after it was damaged by a previous owner when they hit Wroxham bridge. We got the car unloaded which took some time, as we now have to take bedding with us too, so it`s amazing just how much you can cram into the boot of a Peugeot 407 salloon,even more on the return leg. With everything stowed, the kettle went on, and i made up the bed and unpacked our bags. We gave Derek and Pat a tour of Lightning, and showed them how to work things etc, and when all was well, it was time to disconnect the shorepower and get underway.

I take things for granted when Karen and i, along with my brother and his family go boating, but when you`re with people who`ve nevr done it before, you have to expect the unexpected, as it`s all new to them, and they don`t know what to do. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery while we`re chugging down river. We had a really peaceful cruise with the tide, so kept the revs down to about 1,500 which is about 5mph, perfect for a late afternoon / early evening cruise. As we passed Cantley sugar factory, i suggested we head for Reedham, which when we hire from Maffetts is our usual 1st night stop, and today is no different. As we approach Reedham,  i see one large and one medium size space left, so i start to head for the larger gap, Lightning being 43ft long, the smaller one was a definite no no. With about 300 yds to go, someone on a Shetland or Seamaster 27 came from the bridge and nipped in before me .......... GIT.  The quay was unusually busy, due to several sports cruisers all being tied up near the leccy posts, possibly a club cruise etc, so for another first, we could`nr get moored at Reedham for our first night. However, this wa`nt a problem, because as we passed the Ferry Inn, i noticed their morrings were nearly empty, so we turned round and headed back to the Ferry for our fist nigh, which again is a first, as we`ve never moored there before, but i have to say, it was a very peaceful place to moor for the night. We settled down and had a peaceful evening, though there was a little noise due to to people enjoying themselves outside the pub, buT this went all quiet soon after.  It had been a long day, with a long drive, and i was feeling tired, so at the early time of 9,00pm, i was ready for bed. I stayed up an extra 30 mins, but by now, i can`t put it off any longer, so it was off to bed. .......... Good night all.

• Like 9

Hi Neil,

I had not heard about Lightning trying to demolish Wroxham Bridge.

Regards

Alan

"easy come, easy go..  :hardhat:" 

And erm Neil.. have words with the bridge wreckers please.. wrong bridge... 

Hope you enjoyed your trip! More more more.. (and don't forget pictures...I'll get grace to tell your some "Jokes").

• Like 2

Neil why don't you guys get Brooms to repair things like that? Presumably it won't be back on the boat until that owners next allocation?

He`s due to fit it later this month Matt, also Brooms aint exactly cheap, so if a syndicate member can do it voluntarily, we`re all happy.

Sunday morning, and we wake up early, well i did`nt really sleep that well, but finally got off in the early ours, only to wake up and dose several times. The weather outside looked a bit grey, then a little while later, we`re laying in bed, and listening to the rain on the cabin top. There`s something very comforting being in a boat safely tied up, and listening to the pitter patter of raindrops on the roof, but this time we know we will soon have to get up. We`re up  around 8, and all showered and having breakfast.. Our plan is to stop at Reedham for an hour to look in the gift shop, but while we`re approaching, we decide to carry on and head for Gt Yarmouth, where i`m hoping to take the early part of the ebb across Breydon, then moor at the Yacht station and get most of the shopping in Asda`s. I`d prefer to shop locally, but i`m outvoted, so Asda`s it was. The trip down the Yare was uneventful with intermitent rain, which eventually died away, and i notice, there are`nt many boats around, the broads seem very quiet this morning, but that makes it even more enjoyable. We reach Breydon, and do indeed take the early ebb tide, and are soon at the Yacht station, All moored up, and chatting to the quay rangers, and  then it`s off to Asda.  After a boring shop, it`s back onboard for lunch, then we cast off and start a long and tedious cruise against the tide up the Bure. We did`nt leave Yarmouth till about 2.30ish, so the slog up the Bure was going to be a long one, and sure enough, it took several hours before we reach The Stracey Ams. We keep on, but my original plan was to head for Thurne dyke, but it`s well past 5, and Karen`s asking when are we going to moor so they can start dinner. I suggest we head for Acle Bridge, but then see Stokesby and am amazed at this time of day, there`s still a couple of spaces available. Another first today, we arrive at Stokesby late afternoon / early evening, and it`s NOT full. I said the rivers were quiet. What i DID`NT know was that earlier on, the rivers were very far from quiet, as the the three rivers race was nearing a close, so we arrived at the right time. Stokesby was so quiet, there were even a couple of boats coming in to moor at about 8.  We have dinner, and i take the opportunity to take a few more pictures of a stunning sunset.  I have a wander around the village, and stop for a chat with a man taking down bunting etc, and it`s then i was informed of the 3 rivers race, and that HE won everything, well, that`s what he told me?...  After my photographic session, it`s back onboard, where we settle down to the tv, and wait for the weather forecast to see what tomorrow may bring. It WAS`NT good news.  10.00pm, and again i`m struggling to keep my eyes open. It might have started a damp and miserable day, but it`s been a lovely sunny, if a bit chilly in the wind, evening, so i just hope the`ve got the forecast wrong.   Goodnight all.

• Like 7

Monday morning, and we wake up to dry weather and broken clouds, but the wind has got up overnight. We`re all up and about by 08.30ish, so we have a leisurely breakfast and make sure everything is tidied away, and engine checks are done. We`re underway about 10.30 ish, and head for Acle Bridge to fill up with water.  We arrive at Horizon craft and Karen and Pat decide to walk over to the little riverside shop to have a look for possible gift for people, and come back with some biscuits for our neighnours for putting out and returning our rubbish and garden waste bins. The weather is still quite bright, but the wind is starting to slowly build in strength, so getting away from the water and pumpout berth is really easy, just let the wind blow us away from the quay.  We`re underway again, and our destination is a short run up the Bure and Thurne to Thurne dyke, and pretty soon we`re there. We always go in to Thurne dyke when up North, mainly to see Liz at Ramblers gift shop, and it`s here we buy another one of the "Chris Crowther" books which then becomes my evening read througout the rest of the week. In fact, with the other four we have, i used to take every opportunity to read even if it was just a page or two, they`re that addictive. Well, they are about the Broads?.  After a chat and more gifts bought, we`re back on Lightning for lunch, and then we decide to move on. I was`nt sure whether to head all the way up the Bure, hoping to get through Wroxham bridge, and up to Coltishall lock, but with the winds continually gaining strenght, i suggested we divert up the Ant, where after How hill, we`ll be mostly sheltered except when crossing Barton broad. It turns out this was a good plan later. We pass Ludham bridge, but there`s no sign of Jason to say hello while passing. Obviously tucked up inside out of the wind. Not long after, we reach How hill, where the trees start to line the river, and soon after passing, we at last get some shelter. Further up, we reach Irstead shoals, which is one of the prettiest stretches of the Broads, but with the clouds now covering the sky, we can`t show Derek and Pat the place at its best. Once through Irstead, we reach Barton Broad, and we decide to try Neatshead staithe, but check out Gayes staithe on the way incase Neatishead is full, which is usually what happens when we arrive. We see Gayes staithe is empty, , so take the turn up to Neatishead, and pass another boat who tells us there`s room at the staithe. I`d forgotten just how narrow Lime Kiln Dyke is, and the only point where we meet another boat head on is at the bery tight and restricted left hand bend. After careful manouvering, we manage to pass without bumping, and we`re soon at the staithe, and guess what IT`S EMPTY, well, except for one boat right at the head, so we turn away and reverse in, and more near the entrance. My reasoning being that this place will soon fill up, and if we`re near the head, we may have difficulty in getting out in the morning.  A quick fill up with water, and we`re in for the night. I take the opportunity take some more pictures of Lightning, and am surprised this place is so empty. Yet another first, this time mooring overnight here.  It`s now late afternoon, and Karen and Pat are getting dinner ready, but notice we`re running short of a couple of essentials  (wine and milk), so Derek and i take a stroll down to the shop, which is actually further than i thought.  Imagine my delight when we got back to the boat and are told "we forgot to ask you to get butter", so off i trot again. This time there were two ladies serving, and we got talking, about aircraft of all things. Back to Lightning, and dinner was nearly ready. After dinner i did the customary washing up, and sat down and started to read Chris Crowther. It`s much better than Emmerdale and Coronation st any day. At least you have to use some imagination. 10pm quickly comes, and everybody decides to go to bed. Is it because they`re tired, or is it because i`ve got ITV4 on, and watching Moto GP. Disappointed to see Valentino Rossi on getting 3rd, but pleased to Britains Danny Kent get another 2nd, and extending his already massive Moto 3 championship lead.  By now, it`s 11pm, i`m very tired, and the wind is really starting to howl, probaly to gale force. It does`nt matter, we`re well sheltered and tied up tight, so we`ll sleep safe in our beds.  Good night all.

• Like 8

Tuesday morning, and we wake up to howling winds and the odd spit of rain. This is the first time we woken up at Neatishead, and i have to say, despite the wind through the trees, we had quite a peaceful night. There`s definitely something to be said for finding well sheltered moorings during adverse weather conditions. We`re all up and about by 8.30 ish, and breakfast is underway. Karen asks where we`re heading for this morning, so i suggest a quick trip to Sutton, where we can moor and take advantage of the 240v hook-up so Karen and Pat can use their 240v hairdryers, Straighteners, and curling tongs. It`s much simpler after you`ve had a shower and, being "folically challenged" a quick dry with a towel. After breakfast, we find out we`re running short of something, but i can`t remember what it was, so it was a third walk up to the shops. Why is it when women ask you to go to the shop, there`s always something they`ve forgotten?. Karen and i have now come to accept that when she asks me to get something from the shop, there`s not a chance i go back again immediately afterwards. It`s a bit like when we come away on holiday. When we get a mile down the road, all of a sudden, she calls out "oh, we`ve forgotten this, or that". Now, she knows as soon as we`re in the car and  off our drive, it stays forgotten.

I got back from the shop, and start to fill the water tank, and do the engine checks at the same time. Quickly, we get everything tidied away, and it`s time to cast off. We loved it at Neatishead, and will definitely be overnighting there again, hopefully later this year, if we venture to the North rivers in November.  We`re underway, and having a slow chug down Limekiln dyke, and out into Barton broad. We soon realise how sheltered the staithe was, when we come past a small cruiser splashing its way up the channell heading for the staithe. Comeing down from Neatishead, i`m at the upper helm position, purely for the better visibility, but as soon as we`re in Barton broad, the strong cold wind proves the inside steering position will be much more comfortable. As we`re crossing Barton, i notice how choppy it is, although not rough by any stetch of the imagination, but the roughest i`ve ever seen it. Very soo, we`re at the head of the Broad, and we take the Right hand channell and continue up the Ant. Again, we`re sheltered, and stay so untill we take the turn to Sutton and Stalham. As we proceed up to Suttonagain the wind and little rain makes its precence felt again, though fairly quickly, we arrive at Sutton staithe, where we find lots of available mooring space, one directly adjacent to one of the elctric posts, which quite by chance had nearly £2.00 of credit left in. so we quickly get tied up, and unravel the hook-up lead. It was decided we`d go for a stroll and find out if the pottery was still going. While en-route, we discover the village shop had gone, but this time we have all we need, so it does`nt matter. I went into the garden centre to find out if the pottery was still going, but some said yes, some said no, and some said i don`t klnow, because the sign had been taken down. Luckily for us, it WAS still open. It`s not nice telling your aging in-laws about something only to find out it`s no longer in existance, only to have them suffering when we get back because of aging bones and joints etc. At least the walk was worth it, and while en-route, we could see the mill no longer has its cap and sails anymore.

Back to the boat, and Karen and Pat do their hair, then it`s time for lunch, before we head back down the Ant for our next destination.  With lunch out of the way, and the elctrics disconnected, we get underway and head out to the main channell. I`m up on the upper helm again till we get out to the main channell, and  soon come back down inside, as the rain and wind start up again. I had to lower the seat, and tie the cover onto it, and soon realise we`re being quickly blown into the bank and quickly get down to the lower inside helm postion, which is where i stay for most of the rest of the day.

Our destination for the evening is Womack staithe, but if the staithe was full, there are plenty of options close by, so we settle down for a peaceful cruise across Barton broad and down the Ant. By now the wind had really picked up, and Barton was worse than before, and Lightning is being blown around quite a bit. At least we`ll be in the shade soon as we cruise through Irstead, which like yesterday could`nt be enjoyed at its best due to the lack of sun. A little while later, and we`re passing How Hill, and coming out of the protection of the trees, which meant more concentration to hold a steady course. Soon we`re approaching Ludham bridge, and i slid the hatch back to see if anything was close behind incase i have to take emergency action. There was`nt anything there, and i also notice something else was`nt there. The upper helm seat was in the upright position, and with no cover to be found. Yes, mother nature had seen the untimely removal of the cover, which as it turns out is only a couple of weeks old due to it being a replacement for the original, which quite by chance got blown away too. Who said Lightning does`nt strike twice?.

Soon we`re at the bottom of the Ant, and heading out into the Bure. The rain had long since disappeared, but the wind was still blowing. We have a steady cruise down the Bure, and up the Thurne passing the white mill. I would`nt fancy being moored there overnight, especially in this wind, as it does look very exposed.   As we round the long bend, it`s clear we`re going with the wind, and the Thurne has some fairly sustantial rollers on it, for a river this narrow anyway, but it makes me more cautious when we head up to, and turn into Womack Dyke. Again, this is a narrow and twisty dyke, but not for long before we reach the shelter of the trees. By now, i`m back up top again, and notice the moorings round the back of the island are empty, which would be our option if the staithe is full. As we come into the main broad, we see there are plenty of moorings available, and get moored up really quickly, which is easy being as sheltered as we are.

Having arrived after 5, all the shops on the staithe are closed, so we have a walk into the village. The mini market is still open, but something has changed about it. I realise it`s NOT selling gifts anymore, and as we don`t need any provisions, we decide to head back to the boat, but then decide to have a look at the menu in the Kings Arms. We decide we`ll eat out tonight, so go in and find out what time they`re open, and are told there was no need to book, just arrive, and they will get us a table.

Back on board, and we have a cuppa and get changed ready for the pub.

The food and the service were both excellent like before, so after a nice evening, it`s back to the boat.  We settle in for the evening with the tele, and i carry on reading Chris Crowther.

It`s been a busy day, and eventful too with a fair bit of concentration on steering Lightning on a straight course in these conditions, and by 10 ish, we`re all tired, and overfed, so it was time for bed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 9

Wednesday morning, and we wake up to a nice sunny morning, with the wind now dropping, but still a bit breezy in the open river. Our plan for today was agreed last night, and it`s a short run up to Potter Heigham, then back down river to more neare to Gt Yarmouth for crossing Breydon tomorrow.

As usual, i`m the first one up, and showered, then sit down and read another chapter of Chris Crowther. In the meantime, Karen, and her mum and dad are in the process ogf getting up, and are soon all up and about, and getting ready for breakfast.  With breakfast done and dusted, and everything tidied away, i do the daily engine checks, and realise that Lightnings engine has`nt used a drop of oil or water. With that done, i say i`m going to the village store to buy an MCN, and then everybody wants to come along. We stop off in the gift shop, and buy a couple of things to bring home. Up in the village, and I`m pleased to see the store does infact sell MCN, so i have my regular weekly fix, especially this week with the run up to the TT. 

Back on board, and we get ready to get underway. I walk up to the water how, which is already in use. The skipper of the boat filling up said he`d been filling up for about 5 mins, so i waited, then waited, and waited,...... obviously, the water hose at Womack staithe is the slowest on the Broads, so after 10 minutes, i decided to wait till we got to Potter Heigham.

We get underway, and it`s a nice gentle cruise down Womack dyke and out into the main river. We`re not in any hurry, so we keep the revs down, but are soon in Potter Heigham. There`s plenty of room at the moorings before the bridge pilots office, and i`m lucky to pick up one adjant to a leccy post, which also still has about 40p on it, so Karen and Pat can use there hair tongs again. We have a walk up to Lathams for a look round, and Pat comes out with several balls of wool, as she`s used all she brought with her. Back on the boat for lunch, and while the ladies are doing their hair, i fill up with water. With hair done, lunch things tidied away, and a full tank of water, we get underway, and have a slow cruise back down the Thurne and Bure, when Karen tells me the toilet tank gauge is on orange, so will soon need pumping out, so seeing as we`re aproaching Acle Bridge, i deided to have both toilets pumped out at Horizon craft. We pull in to their water and pumpout bay, and Derek and Pat take the opportunity to walk over the bridge to the riverside gift shop, and come back with yet another goodie.  For anyone wanting a pumpout, Horizoncraft run a friendly, efficient, and reasonably priced service.  With pumpout done, and water tank filled (again) we set off for a short run down tothe Stracey Arms so that we only have a 2 hour or so run down to Gt Yarmouth, with the hope of timing it just right to take the last of the flood up to Reedham for lunch.  We pottered down on not much more than tickover revs, as we did`nt have far to go, and had plenty of daylight left, as it was barely 5.00pm. A few minutes later, and we`re approaching Stokesby, and again, the place is NOT full, so i suggested mooring here for the night, as the s Stracey arms might be a bit noisey with all the traffic, which is agreed with everyone, so we moored for the second night this week. By now, the wind had dropped, and the sun was out, so i saggested we have an ice cream. Derek and i walked over to the village store behind the pub, but it was closed. I checked out the opening times, and it said 7.00am - 7.00pm, but it was only 5.15pm, so no ice creams tonight. I did`nt bother taking any more pictures, because i took some here on Sunday night, so instead, i sat on the upper helm seat in the sun, reading some more Chris Crowther. I`m getting on with this book very well now, and am around halfway through, and we`ve only had the book 2 days. Not at all bad for someone who up untill last year, had only ever read 3 books before, the first one being Nigel Mansells aoutobiography,  the second being "Swallows and Amazons Forever (weoll, it`s about the kids on the Broads), and the other was yet another book about Nigell Mansell.  Now i`m into this reading experience, i`m looking out for Guy Martins book, and also, Valentino Rossi. I trhink it`s obvious where my sporting passion lies?.

Anyway, a little later, and dinner is served. Chicken and bacon slice, with frozen mixed veg, forget all your cordon blue stuff. After dinner, i did my usual washing up, and out came that local author again, which is better than rubbish soap operas. I wonder how Karen and her mum would be on a boat with no tv, just like boats in the 60s and 70s, when they were expensive optional extras. When the soaps had finished, we decided to watch a DVD , and watched Pretty woman. A good film i must admit, but then i`m probably not the only one that likes a happy ending. The film finished around 11.00pm, and we`re all tired, so it`s time for bed again.

Good night all.

• Like 5

We got to the boat and was disappointed to find only half of the upper helm screen in place,

I have thorough enjoyed this read.   Thank you.      For the unelightened (me) how did you proceed with only half of the upper helm screen?      Especially as it wasnt exactly bikini weather.

• Like 1

We got to the boat and was disappointed to find only half of the upper helm screen in place,

I have thorough enjoyed this read.   Thank you.      For the unelightened (me) how did you proceed with only half of the upper helm screen?      Especially as it wasnt exactly bikini weather.

Monica,

They are very hardy types from Dorset! Swanage on a windy day is summat else! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hy Monica,

I simply folded the other half (and i don`t mean Karen either) down and left it like it all week. With the wind blowing so strong, i thought if the screen is`nt supported correctly, it might ALL break. 

And it looked better too, and we did`nt have to worry about folding it down for bridges.

Monica,

They are very hardy types from Dorset! Swanage on a windy day is summat else! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Yeah,  but i come from North West Kent, just outside the outskirts of Greater London :party: . I have lived down here in sunny Dorset (East Dorset actually, as we`re 4 miles from Ringwood in Hampshire) for 9 years, but been working down here for 12. The first year i was living in a hotel for 4 nights a week, and home at weekends. Then Karen asked if i wanted to stay at hewr place after that. 2years later, we sold both flats and bought our bungalow, then 2 years after that, we got married.

I simply folded the other half (and i don`t mean Karen either) down and left it like it all week. With the wind blowing so strong, i thought if the screen is`nt supported correctly, it might ALL break. 

Judging by the weather you describe it must have been a bit drafty round the nether regions ,   how did you keep the rain out?
  • Like 1

Hi Monica,

Matt has shown the screen is just protection from wind when using the upper deck.

For more pictures on Thunder (Lightning is a similar boat) please see the following link to BCBM:

http://www.bcbm.co.uk/boatsaledetails?domain=B&boat=192

Also a link to the virtual tour:-

http://www.mi360.net/Boats/BCBM_Thunder_v95/_auto/flash/mi360_BCBM_Thunder_v95.html

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I see now  :naughty: I am a dimbo,  I imagined the front screen of the boat and all that weather coming at you as if your car windscreen was not there.  I didnt realise there was a screen 'up top'.   Thank you for the explanation.

Thank you for the links.   Doesnt it look a smart boat.   Very nice.

• Like 1