Trivia - feel free to add to this thread

Poppy

You are correct Gary Gilmore was executed in 1977 and the song was released about 8 months after by the Adverts.

Here is a link to the song for those of us who can not remember the punk era :-

Sadly some of us can even remember that Cliff Richard had some of his earlier records on 78's.

Many say however he must have been recording on wax cylinders :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Ah yes scarface Harry Webb, ....not everyone knows that ;) In all his early filming, you only ever saw one side of his face.

cheers Iain.

Ha ha. never had one of those. Proper cassette tapes had come out by the time I was old enough to have a car.

Interesting story about Betamax vs VHS as well. Although everyone knew Betamax was superior in quality Sony wanted to maintain control and kept the price high. JVC flooded the market selling products at less than cost to get market share. They also allowed other manufacturers to use their patent. 

So it's not always quality that counts!!

Personally Mark, I still think the Philips V2000 system would have been the best, but it was always obvious to me VHS would win out.

Awe Mark you hadn't lived if you didn't have a 8track in your car  late 60's early 70's lol

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Personally Mark, I still think the Philips V2000 system would have been the best, but it was always obvious to me VHS would win out.

Awe Mark you hadn't lived if you didn't have a 8track in your car  late 60's early 70's lol

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain,

Because I have an interest in music, of course we had an 8 track player (not in the car), although a number of friends did have them.

Did you take them apart when they fouled up with a loop of tape hanging out of the end of the cartridge?

I seem to remember seeing that turntables were also fitted into American cars in the 50's so you could play 7 inch records. These were called Highway Hi-Fi's which were ordered as part of the cars production if required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Hi-Fi

That would not have been of much use on our roads and our cars suspension at the time. it would have been much the case of "Sorry squire scratched the record, scratched the record, scratched the record!"

Regards

Alan

Sorry iain in just a young whiper snapper!!

I do remember my brother having a reel to reel tape deck with a few other Hifi bits which sounded the dogs bits.

When he moved abroad I was temporarily put in charge of looking after said items. I am not sure our neighbours really appreciated the rolling stones or the sound track to a clockwork orange blasting out. Was good until he organised the shipping container and I ended up with the mono record player.

Made up for it since though!!

Oh my audiophile history.. No wax cylinders here, but I do remember taking a yearly pilgrimage to Tottenham Court Road to the golden mile of hifi shops when I got my Christmas bonus and update my "Hi Fi" first turntable... Garrard SP25 Mk1.... Speakers... Celestion Dittons... Amp... Kit built Sinclair modular jobby 15w per channel... Magnetic cartridge was a goldring g800, sounded awesome to me - went through loads of equipment and spent loads! - as far as tape based, briefly dabbled with a Motorola 8 track (even worked at precision tapes where we duplicated the cartridges they always came in green cases..) Betamax, VHS, Phillips 2000 (the 2000 always had a better picture quality imho)

Had a fair share of reel to reel running at 7 3/4 ips for superior sound, but sure ate up the tape! , cassette machines, remember owning a nakamichi BX something or the other cassette deck which was awesome, laserdiscs, minidisc (which is still in use today, knocks the spots of mp3's) had a Dansette as well, the stereo one that had a clip on speaker at the side... The kids today don't know they are born not

And just to steer back on topic...... Polar bears although having white fur, have black skin....

cheers

Ray

• Like 2

Sorry Mostly

Polar bears' fur consists of a dense, insulating underfur topped by guard hairs of various lengths. It is not actually white—it just looks that way. Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core that scatters and reflects visible light, much like what happens with ice and snow

From Polar bear international

By the time you are 70 you will have easily drunk over 12,000 gallons of water. And a lot of that water would have been passed through a dinosaur

Problem is 90% of politicians seem to have drunk their allocation by the time they are 30

So remember

Your brain is 80% water so remember your brain is also partly Dinosaur Pee

Ellen Naomi Cohen, better known as Cass Elliot, or Mama Cass, singer with The Mamas and Papas died in 1974 at the age of 32, She died in her sleep at Flat 12, 9 Curzon Place, Mayfair, a flat borrowed from Harry Nilsson.

Four years later, Keih Moon, drummer with The Who dies in the same flat, also aged 32. Nilsson had previously refused to loan the flat to Moon, concerned that it was cursed following Cass' death.