Broadshaven

Soundings

"the food hygiene rating is not a guide to food quality"  - but can any establishment which is prepared to cut corners on hygiene be trusted to serve 'quality food'? They can't, as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

I agree, but are you saying therefore you would only enter an establishment with a score of 5 out of 5. That clearly is not the intention of the scheme for if the test was meant to be used that way it would be a simple pass or fail. It then becomes a matter of where they set the pass mark. There will always be levels of acceptability and it is, of course, up to individuals to decide whether to frequent then establishment or not. Most of the scores I have seen tend to hover around 4, which is fine by me. But is is only a snapshot in time so a 5 today could be a 3 tomorrow.

Anyway enough of this...we are way off topic. Interesting though :-)

• Like 1

Its simples really......................... Turn it into venue for Fishermen/Women to have breakfast before starting ................... a place open all day for anglers to chat FISHING when not fishing... and in the evening some where for anglers to have an evening meal.............

Charlie

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Its simples really......................... Turn it into venue for Fishermen/Women to have breakfast before starting ................... a place open all day for anglers to chat FISHING when not fishing... and in the evening some where for anglers to have an evening meal.............

Charlie

Would never "catch" open :-)

What a diverse thread!

Loved the Maids Head, superb pub, steeped in history. Now a hairdressers or boutique, what a waste. Another victim of Watneys and the subsequent pubcos. I assume it’s a listed building so at least it’s not been demolished or become a Co-op – yet.....two guns

Can’t comment on the commuting to London bit. :naughty:

Poor old Potter Heigham! I’m not sure that it deserves such bad press. I always head for the burger van. We tend to go in winter and it’s obviously popular with the locals. Mrs Nog loves going into Lathams, Ok it’s full of tat but that’s its attraction!

And the poor old Broadshaven! Never has a pub been so maligned. It’s got exactly the same problem as the Berney Arms. One is owned by a Pubco (Punch) the other by an individual. But they have one thing in common. The owners have not made any attempt to invest in or improve the properties yet have tried to extract every last drop of rent out of them. Small wonder that they are in the state they are in now.

You often get comments along the lines that you would have to mad to take either on. I think both pubs could work if the owners were not trying to extract a return from them which is totally unrealistic. In think in both cases the riverside location has given the respective owners the idea that they are a licence to print money which of course they are not.

Fingers crossed we may get a positive result on both counts.

cheersbar

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

You think so ......................... what makes you so sure........................ the broads is crying out for some thing like it.............

No point in talking about it. It will never happen and wisely so.

Just now, RickWhiteHorse said:

Just for clarification the broadshaven is no longer a punch pub. It is owned by new river retail group. They bought it as part of a package of pubs from punch but will have no interest in renovating.

Thanks Rick...and that is the killer, they will not renovate/enhance. So, can we please have a new freeholder?

Thank heavens the Falgate kept going. A bit off topic, but had an excellent Sunday lunch there today.

Just now, Soundings said:

No point in talking about it. It will never happen and wisely so.

Well I for one think it would work ........................ why not have some thing so diversely different to make it a destination venue for many.......... I have had pubs in very seasonal places, one a village with just 7- dwellings in it........ most pubs marketed to draw people in work............ What DOESNT WORK is people knocking pubs for looks and just because you can ............ Get a life and stop knocking things just for the sake of it....................... END OF  i'll shut up

• Like 2

As I said no point in talking about it. But if you think it can work put your money up front and buy the place. You'd be out of business within a year I reckon

Incidentally I did not knock the pub - I am one who thinks it can be made to work for the community (local and holiday), but not in its current state of decor. And you obviously did not pick up on the frivolous nature of my earlier comment - "would never "catch" on :-)" But that is perhaps not surprising. See ya.

I am sure he is Gracie, but may I respectfully suggest you read his post - "What DOESNT WORK is people knocking pubs for looks and just because you can ............ Get a life and stop knocking things just for the sake of it....................... END OF  i'll shut up".  All that shouting and ranting because I made a joke comment that he disagrees with. That is uncalled for. I still disagree with his business proposition but he has the right to be of that opinion.

Anyway, I am not here to fall out with him. So water under the (or is it that) bridge :-) 

3 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We visited a few years ago, but left due to extremely aggressive and provocative behavior from one of their "regulars". Never again.

cheers

Steve

Not sure you'd have the same problem now, Steve. For when it was last open it did not really have any regulars :-)

I think it's a brilliant idea, even out of season it could be a kind of meeting hall for anglers to discuss the one's that got away or not in my case :naughty: Darts and pool, maybe get teams together and enter competitions, pub grub, quiz nights, karaoke etc. A picture board on a wall with the biggest catches of the season from visitors and locals alike. Maybe not a stuffed pike in a cabinet, though lol :norty:

Grace

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I think it's a brilliant idea, even out of season it could be a kind of meeting hall for anglers to discuss the one's that got away or not in my case :naughty: Darts and pool, maybe get teams together and enter competitions, pub grub, quiz nights, karaoke etc. A picture board on a wall with the biggest catches of the season from visitors and locals alike. Maybe not a stuffed pike in a cabinet, though lol :norty:

Grace

Errr Grace,you missed Poppy dancing in your high heel shoes ! :naughty: That would pull in a few extra customers, would it not?

cheersIain

• Like 2

Just now, stumpy said:

Could the lake behind La Tharms not be stocked with tame carp to keep the fisherfolk occupied during the closed season?

Tame carp on self hooking rigs might appeal to some fishermen but perhaps not to all of us anglers!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

Just for clarification the broadshaven is no longer a punch pub. It is owned by new river retail group. They bought it as part of a package of pubs from punch but will have no interest in renovating.

I didn't realise that Rick, thank you. 

That makes it even worse, New River are the Grim Reaper where pubs are concerned. I just hope it can be rescued. 

On a side note I was also pleased to see the Falgate open again and trading regular hours. I wish Ian and Co luck with their venture too. 

In the last forty years countless industries have shaken out and unit numbers contracted. Shipyards, coal, machine tools, cars, garages, retail clothing, electronics, motorcycles, food retailing etc, etc ,etc.

And pubs are no different. Everyone had a pint at lunchtime forty years ago now a No No. They absorb too much money to use on a regular basis for the average family. 

Good ones will survive, they rest are not viable. As an industry with changing attitutes to drinking there were thousands too many.