A Glorious Week on Gala Girl III from Summercraft

BryanW

This is just a preliminary to a full weeks (6th - 12th June) tale which I hope to upload later in the week and also get the edited video on to YouTube.

We phoned Summercraft (Sue) at about 11:15 on the Saturday to be told that the boat was ready, since we were at Coltishall it was only about 10 minutes to the yard.  We had a chat with Sue and then loaded the boat and being allowed to take the boat out of the yard by ourselves we were on our way just after noon.  Summercraft are now providing a welcome pack of cakes, biscuits, coffee, milk, sugar & tea, we also noted that they have fitted CO and Smoke Alarms in the after cabin.  As usual the boat was immaculate and proved to be well behaved, it also proved to be very economical only using £22.50 of diesel even though we did 3 hours plus cruising each day albeit at mainly tick over speeds (GPS was showing 3 to 4 mph).

I should also mention that the mattress is of the sprung type rather that rubber and my wife found the pillows to be nice and soft.

Sue also confirmed that Summercraft will still be in business for 2016.

I was going to attach couple of photos but am getting an error saying that "No file was selected".

• Like 6

This is the full write up.  By the way I have sussed out that my photos were too big so I have limited them to 1600 pixels on the long edge which hopefully will work.

Saturday 6th June

A lovely sunny day but a little breezy with a cool wind.

On arrival Sue was very chatty and told us a few things that were happening with regards to some hire yards, however, at this stage I don’t feel that I should be the first to share this information.

We hadn’t had Gala III for a few years usually going for Gala II and as said in the preliminary notes we noted the CO and Smoke detectors and the Welcome Pack. 

As soon as the car was unloaded Paul did the usual completion of the tick sheet and let us take the boat out of the yard unassisted.

Once on the Bure we thought that we would go for Ranworth since it was fairly early instead of our usual first night at Cockshoot.  We found that the Bure was pretty busy, almost as many private boats as hire but not too many Day Boats.  On the way through Horning we met a load of Hampton Safaris, presumably going to their Meet at Salhouse.

Once on Malthouse Broad we found the staithe to be full but after a couple of passes a cruiser indicated that they were leaving so we stood off until they were clear of the Staithe and then slipped in between a hire boat and a private one.  There were quite a few comings and goings through the late afternoon and by evening the staithe was completely full again.  During the early evening three Wherries came into the broad, rafted up and mud weighted.

Sunday 7th June

Woke at about 6 o’clock to a chilly boat (10℃) but a lovely sunny morning.  After bacon sarnies  for breakfast did the usual engine (note: the Dip Stick on this boat must be the most awkward  ever), weed filter checks and topped up the water then we decided that it would be Barton Turf/Paddys Lane for the afternoon.

Going past How Hill we saw that two Wherries were moored up.  Barton Turf staithe was full in the inlet so we settled for Paddys Lane and moored on the port side, then, because of the security light in Cox’s yard decided to turn the boat using the ropes (Summercraft always supply a spare rope (and Club Hammer for the Rond Anchors) so it is easy by joining this to the appropriate bow rope).

We then took a walk over to the parish staithe and on the way got some Water Iris photographs and saw two deer (Chinese Water Deer, I think) on the path between the dingy moorings and the staithe but they disappeared into the undergrowth before I managed to take any video or photographs.

Once back on the boat we spent some time watching a bird (Great Tit, I think) having a fine time feeding on insects on one of the posts at the head of the island.  We also spotted a Grass Snake swimming across from the island but again no camera handy, this is the third time we have seen snakes swimming over the years.

Over the afternoon the mooring became full but, again, later in the evening spaces appeared once most of the private boats had left.

Monday 8th June

Another chilly morning but sunny with lovely mist rising from the water.  Boiled eggs for breakfast this morning.  Once the usual checks were done we moved over to the parish staithe and topped up with water while my wife washed her hair (the water now being just warm enough).

Today was going to be Womack, we did note that dredging was taking place round the Womack Island diversion opposite the moorings, there was plenty of space at the staithe so no problems.  After a visit to Thrower’s we settled down in the sun for the rest of the afternoon, it was then that I found I had been eaten alive all down my arms by the flying bugs at Paddys Lane, I really must remember to use insect repellant.  We were going to visit The Kings Arms for a meal but after much debate decided to wait and try The White Horse at Neatishead instead.

Tuesday 9th June

Another chilly morning but sunny with quite a keen breeze coming over the fields and straight onto our stern.  Spotted a Kingfisher, flew up the broad and then back down at the usual supersonic speed. 

After the usual checks and filling up with water we departed for Neatishead (mud weight just in the river to wash it).  Fairly windy over Barton Broad but on arrival at Neatishead we found the staithe to be empty (it didn’t stay that way for long) so moored on the end to make life easy in the morning.  We did find that the water levels were somewhat low.

We took a walk to the village, checked out the menu at the pub and booked a table for the evening, visited the shop where we bought some local fudge and cheese.

In the evening went to The White Horse, my wife had Fish & Chips followed by Banoffee Pie while I had Duck Breast and then the Rib Eye Steak, all cooked to perfection and very friendly staff.

Wednesday 10th June

Not such a nice day today, rather cloudy.

Usual checks and water filled then we were the first to depart, after a slow run down Lime Kiln Dyke we decided to go up to Dilham but by the time we got through Wayford Bridge it was still quite early, so rather than risk having to pass boats coming down from Dilham or finding no space, we changed our minds and decided to try for Instead.  On coming up to Instead we found two boats, one on the inner section that had not moored very considerately, while the other looked as if it was about to leave.  We passed the staithe and turned at convenient point, coming back the first boat was leaving and the other one was making ready so we stood off until the inner section was free and then moored up making sure that we were right up one end of the staithe.  The water was very low and we had to raise the fenders as high as we could so that there was no risk of getting trapped under the quay heading and added an extra mooring rope to stop us moving around too much when other boats passed.

Took a bit of a walk and found that a farmer had attached a kite that looked like a Marsh Harrier to a pole as a bird scarer.

Late afternoon another boat pulled in behind us while a private boat took the outer section.

Thursday 11th June

A lovely sunny morning but still chilly.

Usual checks and then couldn’t make a decision but finally said Womack again.  We managed to pull into Ludham Bridge for water (why no posts or mooring rings on the water point?) and then changed our minds regarding our destination deciding, finally, to make for How Hill.

We passed through the bridge and then, when convenient, turned to go back upstream.  Again we passed How Hill, turned and came back to moor, I do prefer to moor on the port side since I can judge the distance from the quay better.  Again the water seemed to be very low.  Again added an extra mooring rope to prevent too much movement.

We had decided to walk the Wildlife Walking Trail since it was years ago that we last did it so it was off to the little shop and pay our £2 each and I must say that it was well worth the money.  On the walk we saw a small deer (again I think it was a Chinese Water Deer) in the distance just entering the path at the “Cow” symbol going towards the “Primrose” symbol but we were too late for any video.  Plenty of Damselflies of two varieties, flowers and even a butterfly, plenty of photographs taken.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the sun (almost too hot) watching, and feeding, a very cheeky crow that would sit on the mooring posts, and even on the boat, waiting for scrapes of food.

Friday 12th June

This was our last day since we always go back to the yard and then home on the day before we officially finish our week.

Usual checks and then left in the hope of getting rid of our rubbish at Ludham Bridge since there are no bins at How Hill, found a mooring at Ludham Bridge so that was the rubbish disposed of.

We stopped at Cockshoot to pack and do the final clean of the boat, whilst there we walked the “Board Walk” but as usual not a lot to see apart from Damselflies and a Dragonfly that had just crawled up a reed ready to metamorphose.

Back at the yard we received the usual friendly welcome and directed to moor undercover which was nicely accomplished.  The tank was dipped to find that we had only used about 4 gallons of diesel so we got £77.50 of our £100 deposit back; even though we did about 3 - 4 hours per day on average this is all down to running at low speeds, tick over mostly, and not rushing but then that is what the Broads is all about.

Overall another super week on The Broads, no rain, sunny but chilly wind and a nice comfortable boat.  We did find that it was busier than last year but this is all to the good for the hire yards although we like it nice and quiet.

Now to do the video editing, I hope to complete that this week and will post a link once uploaded.

post-24611-0-89762100-1434375355_thumb.j

post-24611-0-03692100-1434375373_thumb.j

post-24611-0-34513900-1434375399_thumb.j

post-24611-0-45851200-1434375415_thumb.j

post-24611-0-62421900-1434375447_thumb.j

post-24611-0-64519400-1434375470_thumb.j

post-24611-0-11389300-1434375510_thumb.j

post-24611-0-73278200-1434375548_thumb.j

post-24611-0-70270200-1434375572_thumb.j

post-24611-0-97285800-1434375604_thumb.j

post-24611-0-29348400-1434375624_thumb.j

post-24611-0-51729400-1434375642_thumb.j

• Like 7

Hi John & Mary-Jane

Camera is Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus lenses as follows:

Gosling - 70-300mm @ 75mm

Sunset - 25mm

Wherries - 25mm

All others - 60mm Macro

ISO 400 for all.

I love the OM-D having 'cut my teeth' on OM film cameras in the 70s through to 2000s, I also prefer to use fixed focal length lenses where possible although as you can see I do own a long zoom.  Remember with MFT lenses you double the focal length to get 35mm equivalent.

Wow, a great write-up, and a great video and pics too. I wish we had the weather you had, but we got wind and rain. Not so much rain, but LOTS of wind.

Gala Girl looks like a nice boat, and well kept too, and it was nice to see you kept it clean and tidy.