The Glorious 16th!

We fish with rods, never used a pole before. A few years ago we started Fishing a local Fishery on a regular basis and got friendly with the owner, one day he came round to where we were fishing (to pinch a beer lol) and asked me how I'd got on to which I replied I had blanked for most of the morning, when I cast out in front of him to reach as far to the middle as I could he laughed and said he didn't know why people insist on casting so far out when most of the best fish patrol the margins where food and bait get swept in, I took his advice and some of the best fish I have ever caught have been in the margins. I guess what I'm trying to say in my waffling on way is that for me anyway you don't need to fish in the middle of the river, I do exactly the same on the Broads and have caught some of the best Perch I've ever had in all the years I have been fishing  ;)

Grace

• Like 4

I must admit (not offence intended) I don't quite get those fisherpeople who sit in the rain on a stool watching the float all day.. :summertime:

For me (as in my earlier) post.. It's an excuse to do nothing.. drink :wasted: ... and watch what others are doing.. :nosey:

It can be a tad inconvenient when the fish catches itself (I've certainly not caught it as I have no idea how to fish and most of the time the bait on the hook has come off a long time earlier!) as then i have to do something, although I generally shout at someone else "The pole thing is moving on it's own again :shocked" .

Very rarely do I try.. although that's normally before the drink kicks in but then I hook one after the after so I'm quickly bored..

Enjoy the fishing all... We will probably make a start in a few weekends.

cheers

Ah Grasshopper !!

There's much more to fishing than catching fish!

specially on the Broads.

If you're anything of a naturalist (and if you enjoy the Broads I suspect you are)

You'll enjoy

the

Misty mornings on mercury still rivers, coots croaking, glorious sunrises, dragonflies, kingfishers, voles, herons and silence.

Takes you away from the day to day hassles of life.

Try reading one of Chris Yate's books, try "Falling in again", he can explain it so much better than I can. cheersbar

• Like 3

I have learned more about river fishing today, than in my entire life. Very educational indeed. Thank you all. I will however, as usual, stick to watching paint dry! :naughty:

Seriously I have played a lot of sports in my time, fishing just has never been one of them.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Oh Troutman62, a lovely post, my dad gave me some Passion for Angling dvd's with Chris Yates and Bob James, I could sit and watch them for hours on end, brilliant

Grace

Hiya Grace !

A Passion for Angling is superb, I'll watch right through (again) a day or two before I get to the Broads in early September, it just sets the scene for me,  can't wait for getting the rods out at dawn on the Bure before the boats start.

Trouble is I never want to go home. That last Friday afternoon is purgatory.

Sometimes I wish I would get sick of Norfolk but can't see it happening before they nail the lid on. ;)

Stefan

• Like 1

Alan, most fishing is about observation and using your common sense, take Gracie's examples, she catches a lot of Perch in the edge on rivers, that is because Perch eat other fish and ambush their prey, the stripes are a disguise and the Perch hide in or near Reads to blend in, Most reads and other aquatic plants grow in shallower water hence they are near the edge. Now let's look at the pond fishing and catching in the edge, the same thing applies re plants, often Fisherman will fish to Islands or other features but the specific reason for fish congregating around the edge I believe, is that at the end of each day Fishermen tend to throw the excess bait that they haven't used into the Pond, in the edge. Naturally the fish come to hoover it up and contrary to popular belief fish do not have a short memory, they know feed will be there and so they patrol that area. Simples!

Dave cheers

Apparently Carp are the most intelligent, ( if you believe everything you read in the magazines ha ha),

I understand that to qualify as a Carp you need at least a PHD in physiology or a related subject and be able to converse with Steven Hawking about the theory of dark matter and are  able to identify and tie 2500 different Carp rigs.

Boilies, bolt rigs and buzzers,.That's just machine minding.

:naughty:

I couldn't agree with you more Troutman62, A Passion for Angling is superb, I think they would even appeal to people who don't fish, as for the last day of a holiday on the Broads I practically have a nervous breakdown, when we take the Boat back they have to literally prise my hands from the door lol. For a few weeks after we're back I just keep thinking 'this time last week we were doing this or that and we were moored here or there' how sad is that :naughty:

Grace

• Like 2

For a few weeks after we're back I just keep thinking 'this time last week we were doing this or that and we were moored here or there' how sad is that  :naughty:

Ditto, Grace, even after 40 odd years! You sure aint alone.

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree with you more Troutman62, A Passion for Angling is superb, I think they would even appeal to people who don't fish, as for the last day of a holiday on the Broads I practically have a nervous breakdown, when we take the Boat back they have to literally prise my hands from the door lol. For a few weeks after we're back I just keep thinking 'this time last week we were doing this or that and we were moored here or there' how sad is that :naughty:

Grace

I've been like that for years !!!! We booked our September holiday for this year back last July and it's never out of my mind .  Thats sad as well. :summertime:

• Like 1

Sometimes I wish I would get sick of Norfolk but can't see it happening before they nail the lid on. ;)

Stefan

Skip the nailing down of the lid malarky, incineration is the way to go! Advantage is that you can have your ashes spread upon your favourite Broad. Disadvantage is that, eventually, you'll be dredged up and dumped in some spoil tip but in the meantime you should get a few extra years mixing it with the fish on the Broads. 

• Like 1