Magic Gem @ Stalham

Hi All!

My mother in law, better half and I have booked one of the magic gems next week Monday to Friday from Stalham and plan to go up to Yarmouth and back. We are in no rush but plan to see as much as we can with no more than 4 hours driving each day. Could anyone help with some ideas about where to moor up each night? This will be our first boating holiday and I plan to take the fishing rod! - We also have the dog with us so that should be interesting. Also, any advice on what to bring/what not to bring? We are hiring from Richardsons and are totally clueless about how to make the most of this holiday! Thanks all! Robert.

:wave  and  :welcome: to the forum from me!

Hiring from Richardsons will mean you will be right in the middle of the northern broads and therefore you will lots and lots of places to visit right beside you. I'd suggest you just slowly explore the rivers near where you collect the boat.  Places you will want to visit though include, Neatishead, Ranworth, Horning, Wroxham and Potter heigham.  Although I suggest you don't do too much reasearch as it will spoil the fun.. just slowly drift about :)

This is a really good website for a newbie, http://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/and there's a really good "what to take" checklist.

There's also some really good videos and guides on Ricardsons website which are well worth taking a look at (http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/#tabs=1).

Final advice I can give you, it's to just take it slowly, there's no need to rush, that includes driving the boat, you will have more control if you just take it slowly. Also don't worry about not seeing it all... you will be back.. everyone returns!

If you have any further questions just shout :)

Have a brilliant time though, Please feel free to do a holiday tale on here with pictures.. everyone loves these tales!

cheers

• Like 1

Hi Robert welcome to the forum have a good time I am sure like the rest of us you will soon be hooked,as Alan said take your time.Where you are there is lots to see and do.

As we are in the middle of summer,haha.Be parpared,if you intend to cook on board get a selection of food,however there are lots of good pubs along the way.Maps are a help,you will get the broadcaster on the board which is also helpful.

Have a good time Ian

Hello Robert

We had Magic Gem 2 last September & though it is a great boat for the price

Mum is 84 and found the single level great, we found it comfortable, spotlessly clean and handled very well.

Unless you particularly want to go to Yarmouth I would suggest you go to some of the places Alan (Jaws) suggests also think about getting the pilot (phone number is in the handbook) to take you through Wroxham bridge and go up to Coltishall, its a lovely strech of river with a good chance of seeing Kingfishers.

There is a charge for the service that you pay when you return to Richardsons but its well worth it (I think it was £12.00 for the return trip)

Wherever you go, do as others have said an take it slowly and enjoy

Robert,

Welcome from me too!  You are spoilt for choice with only Monday to Friday and the whole of the Northern broads to explore.  People will have their own favourite places, but there really is a great deal to see and do.  You mention Yarmouth, but with just a few days to explore I would not go past Acle in that direction because the scenery becomes a bit "flat" between them, you will find many fascinating places to explore if you just go for a meander around the broads and villages.  The walks around How Hill and at Ranworth are interesting; and the Richardson's literature and web site contain many other suggestions (again as already mentioned by Alan).  My advice would be to just go slowly and enjoy the new experiences.  Even if you do not get as far as Coltishall (as David suggested) you will enjoy the trip to Wroxham.  Be prepared to adapt you plans.  Wander and relax.  Have a good holiday!

• Like 1

Several have mentioned that Yarmouth might be a bimble too far, I have another point to make.

You have a dog on board. Yarmouth has a large tidal rise and fall. Unless the dog is very small and light, you might find it very difficult to get it off the boat at low water.

The run to Coltishall is beautiful, as is the river Ant.  Great pub with good food at Neatishead. Good dog friendly pub at Ludham bridge.

• Like 2

Hi Robert,

My opinion is that you should not stray further than Acle on the boat, but go to Yarmouth when you return the boat on the Friday morning and make a nice day out by the sea and drive there – that way you get to see all of Yarmouth (since from the yacht station to town is a bit of a walk) and save precious hours for our boating time.

If you look at a map of where Stalham is and then look to where Wroxham is it would appear a long way, yet actually if you did not stop between the two locations would take about 4.5 hours. The reason I say this is to give you an idea about distance vs time cruising.

It would appear you would prefer to do maybe two hours cruising then stop moor up and explore somewhere then head off again to your final destination for the day no more than two more hours at the wheel and a short break on the northern river makes this ideal.

If I were you I would work my way down the River Ant and my first mooring on the first evening would be Ludham Bridge where I could then walk to the Dog Inn pub. Yes your dog is welcome and the welcome for us humans is just as good.  The next day leave and head to the River Bure, turn right and stop off at Ranworth Staithe, if you get there about 11:00am you will stand a chance of a mooring since those who overnighted will have gone but those wanting lunch won’t be there. You can take a walk to St. Margret’s church which is lovely – not to mention the Maltsters pub and other facilities at the staithe such a small shop etc.

Leaving there you can head to Horning (if public staithe is full moor at the Ferrry Inn or New Inn pubs) the walk into Horning from the Ferry Inn pub is a bit long for some but very nice along the way.   I’d head off to the lovely peaceful Salhouse Broad for night number 2 which will mean the dog can have a great run about and I understand the fishing here can be good too.

Following day head the short distance to Wroxham.  Now I would allocate day three as your ‘long day’ – so get up nice an early and aim to be in Worxham for 10:00am – being a Wednesday you won’t have any hire yards sending cruisers out so moor in one of those, or head under the bridge (you must use the pilot to do this and this is chargeable payable upon return to Richardson’s’ – full details will be in your Captain’s manual on the boat). 

You can pop into Roy’s for more provisions, and explore this small town before heading back to the boat and heading off for your ‘long cruise’ to Potter Heigham. This will take 3.5 to 4 hours and when you arrive you would be able to moor in Herbert Woods boatyard if the moorings along the bank before the Bridge are all taken – you can then explore Latham’s, and for fishing enthusiasts the separate and well stocked fishing shop Lathams have recently opened by the staithe.  Choose to overnight here, or as I would take the short cruise back down the river Thurne signed ‘Ludham’ to Womack Water – don’t get there too late mind it is popular but if can moor offers a great mooring and a walk into Ludham to the pub is always on the cards.

You last full day and it is time to head off back to the main river, turn right and when you reach the Bure turn right again – a good stop off would be the ruins at St. Benet’s have a look around these and maybe walk up to where the Oak cross is where the alter used to be.  Back on the boat and a short hop to the river Ant, take this passing under Ludham Bridge to How Hill where you can stop off and look around the old cottage showing a snap shot of the past.

Back on the boat you’ve got three choices – Sutton for your last night and the Sutton Staithe Hotel for a lovely meal and drinks, Neatishead and the White Horse for the same or somewhere like Gay’s Staithe which while offering no amenities (you can still walk but it longer to the White Horse pub in Neatishead) it is a nice quiet mooring for a last night.

That is an idea – but as you will find on the Broads things generally go at their own slow pace and best made plans tend to evolve into new things as the time passes. Have a lovely trip!

• Like 5

Hello Robert,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

There is lots to do and see, I would add Womak Staithe to your list of overnight mooring it is one of my favourite locations on the Northern Broads, a short walk up the lane takes you to Ludham and a few shops and the Kings Arms.

If you go as far as Acle you may be better going down to Stokesby, a great little shop for provisions and cakes that you could die for, eat in or take back to the boat, you can moor at the green or outside of the Ferry Inn which does reasonable meals.

As everyone says take it easy and go with the flow.

Regards
Alan

Thanks all for your advise! Gt Yarmouth is a definite for my mother in law. She really wants to go and we've promised so will have to work around her. Also, is there anywhere that has "amenities" like a proper shower and toilet along the way? Do some of the boat yards have showers you can use? I'm 6"3 and can't imagine showering is going to be easy on the boat!

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum from me too. .  As far as Gt Yarmouth goes, forget it by boat, and get a taxi from Horizon craft at Acle bridge. 1st night, St Bennetts abbey, then an earlyish jaunt to Acle bridge and taxi to Gt Yarmouth, finishing off the day with a cruise back up river to Womack staithe for your second night, then a run to Wroxham, or Coltishall if you get through the bridge for your 3rd night, then a cruise to Sutton or Neatishead for your 4th night, as John says they are close to your home yard, so will be a short run on the Friday morning.

The above is just a rough plan, but the choice is wide and enjoyable, especially if you go where Magic Gem takes you. However, if as you say Gt Yarmouth is a must, then i would strongly recommend a taxi, as you`ll spend 2 days getting there and back, and there`s so much more to enjoy.  Have a great trip, and please keep posting on the forum, I think we`d ALL like to read a holiday tale from you, especially as it will be a first time, which will make interresting reading to hear a first timers experience, especially things you were concerned about, and things you find surprisingly easy.

Have a great time.................... Neil.

• Like 2

Hello Robert, shower wise Barnes Brinkcraft Wroxham, , Herbert Woods at Potter Heigham and Ferry Marina Horning in addition to Richardsons. Boat showers are usually very good. Would also recommend bus or taxi to Yarmouth. The Yacht station is a fair walk away from the seaside & it will take you 1.5 to 2 hours from Acle Bridge by boat each way. Have a lovely week whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello Robert, shower wise Barnes Brinkcraft Wroxham, , Herbert Woods at Potter Heigham and Ferry Marina Horning in addition to Richardsons. Boat showers are usually very good. Would also recommend bus or taxi to Yarmouth. The Yacht station is a fair walk away from the seaside & it will take you 1.5 to 2 hours from Acle Bridge by boat each way. Have a lovely week whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1.5 Hours from Gt Yarmouth is VERY optomistic, 2 hours is doable with a spring tide behind you at 6 mph all the way. Don`t forget, the Acle straights are 5 miles and 3 miles long, which is 8 miles total, and THEY are dead straight, whereas the Bure will twist and wind for an extra 3-4 miles. i`d say by river, Acle bridge is around 10-12 miles from Gt Yarmouth yacht station.

I`l check it on a map.

Howard,

You are also correct. It took me 2 hours in Carousel and I had the throttle pushed all the way over. It's funny though because I can always do Acle to GY substantially quicker than the return journey. Good help from the tide I suppose, or is it downhill. lol.

• Like 2

Yep, a couple of weeks back, we had Lightning at 1,800 rpm, being 6 mph according to the plaque on the helm panel (except going past Stracey moorings). Add to that we were AGAINST the tide AND wind (hard at times) all the way, and it took us aimost 3 hours, and that was from Stokesby, and not Acle bridge. Yes, i`ve done it in 2 hours, but that was flat out all the way with the tide under us.

Gt Yarmouth and back by boat in a day is just not worth it, as when you get there, you then have a long walk to the front, then a long walk back, and a laborious chug up the lower Bure again, with the hassle of finding a mooring at the end.

• Like 1

Hi Robert

A very warm welcome aboard the Forum, How's it going, are you enjoying your first time and how's the fishing? 

Try the Bridge Inn at Acle, smashing pub, great food and views to die for, I am practically going green with envy sitting here in my office lol, have a lovely time

Grace