batteries as ballast???

Guest stopper1941

Guest stopper1941

Good afternoon, nice and sunny here in Stone Kent.

I have a few old batteries [car],if I emptied the acid out,perhaps replace with water and seal them, can anybody think of a valid reason why I coundn't use them as ballast in the bows, out of sight.They are very heavy and take up very little room.I allready have bags of sand as ballast placed there by a previous owner but I do need more wieght in the bows.

Thankyou Brian

PS. nine more days and I gain my freedom {retire} cheerscheerscheers hooray :dance:Stinky:Stinky

Hi Stopper

Unusual question to say the least :lol: . My only concern would be if the batteries were to tip over and leak the water. I would guess that even an old battery would still have some chemical reaction going on inside, and so the water could still become acidic over time, but I am only guessing.

Wouldn't a few bags of builders sand from B&Q be cheaper and spread the load on your hull a little bit more evenly ?

Congrats on your nearly retirement by the way :wave:clap

Good afternoon, nice and sunny here in Stone Kent.

I have a few old batteries [car],if I emptied the acid out,perhaps replace with water and seal them, can anybody think of a valid reason why I coundn't use them as ballast in the bows, out of sight.They are very heavy and take up very little room.I allready have bags of sand as ballast placed there by a previous owner but I do need more wieght in the bows.

Thankyou Brian

PS. nine more days and I gain my freedom {retire} cheerscheerscheers hooray :dance:Stinky:Stinky

Why replace with water just leave them dry, no harm will come from that, and they will not produce any power and therefore would not short out,cause sparks or spill contaminated fluid anywhere.

Paving slabs might be better though! old or new or better still broken ones for free from your local builder/diy shop.

cheersbar

JohnT

:Stinky