How Much Water????

Being an ex hire boat and having no real idea how large the water tank is, and having no guage, I was always concerned about running out of water. So I purchased and fitted one of these of ebay. What a great investment. I fitted it in the engine bay just after the water pump. Did a complete fill and then emptied the tank via the taps and it holds 480 litres. Now whenever I fill up I just take the current reading, add 450 to it and know that I need to fill up again when I start to approach that figure. Takes all the guesswork out of knowing when to fill up. Also nice to know when you are pushed for time, that you can leave the water fill another day.post-120-136713497949_thumb.jpg

It's amazing how much water some of these ex hire craft hold! Mine holds 140 gallons which adds just over half a tonne to the boats weight when full :o Something to think about next time your having a lift out!

Good job it's cheaper than diesel then eh?

Roy,

I did a search on water flow meter. There are several different types available on ebay. I went for one from pond supplies because it came with both the screw on fittings to enable me to simply cut the Blue hose just after the water pump, slide the two ends on and secure with jubilee clips, job done. My one was new and cost £25 + P+P.

Apparantly it is quite important when filling a gardenpond to know the exact gallonage to ensure you put in the correct amount of medication and therefore your local garden / aqautic centre could also be a good place to look.