To all Newbies (Private & Hire)

Gracie

Dear New Private Owners and Hirers

I am writing this letter to you to get a few things straight and put your minds at rest.

If you are thinking of buying or hiring but are a little put off by stories you might read, you know the sort of thing, Stag and Hen Boats, Pirates, inconsiderate people who bash into other Boats, people that run their engines at silly o clock, etc, etc. I will tell you this does and can happen but are very few and far between, except maybe in August when obviously there are a lot more people on the Broads because of kids holidays and the like, if you were to encounter any of the above it's always best to have a polite word at first, if you are met with a complete moron, phoning the appropriate Authorities and having a camera to hand is probably a good idea. Killing them is not

On the other hand you could probably meet some pretty fantastic people both in the hire and owner camp, who, if asked will give advice on mooring, tying your ropes, what to do in an emergency etc, etc. The bits I really like are the friendly waves as you are motoring along and someone calling out "Lovely Day", or being moored at a riverside pub and get chatting to another group on holiday and exchanging tales of how wonderful you are at the helm and couldn't possibly make a mistake, so if they needed any advice, just ask  :naughty: The very best bit of all is that 99% of the people you will encounter are in holiday spirit and each and every one of them have a love affair with anything Broadland, love and respect the place as if it belonged to them and if they were to get into difficulties (which can happen, even to me lol) will do the right thing by all concerned

So, buy or hire that Boat, you don't know what you're missing, here's to safe and happy Boating  cheers

Yours very Sincerely

Grace

Forumites, as you can see it's my lunch break, got fed up with my salad so thought I'd write a little letter to try and balance things up a bit  :kiss It's not all bad is it? lol

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's a very nice note, you need to take longer breaks like this lol...

When I have seen first timers make a hash of a manoeuvre, rather than critisise them, telling them what they did wrong, what I do, is say... "Would you like some advice on how you could have improved that manoeuvre?"

Nothing negative, no pride lost. NEVER insult them infront of their crew, this will often lead to confrontation.

The majority say yes, and often includes looking at the flow of the river and coming in against it.

• Like 7

The very best bit of all is that 99% of the people you will encounter are in holiday spirit and each and every one of them have a love affair with anything Broadland, love and respect the place as if it belonged to them and if they were to get into difficulties (which can happen, even to me lol) will do the right thing by all concerned

So, buy or hire that Boat, you don't know what you're missing, here's to safe and happy Boating  cheers

Yours very Sincerely

Grace

The one bit I disagree with Grace is your maths not 99% I would put it at 99.5%

Sorry to disagree.

Charlie

• Like 5

Grace,

That is a lovely letter and reminded me of something that happened last August at the stern-on moorings just under Wroxham bridge. We were moored up and a boat was trying to reverse into the space next to me. He was obviously treating the reversing like a car by turning the wheel in the opposite direction and he was getting nowhere. I told him to leave the wheel full to his right and head for me and then using a little forward throttle, to turn his stern away from me and into the mooring. Once moored up, he said "that was his first stern on mooring" and thanked me for the help. I said "we all had a first time" and it is now over. Lovely feeling.

• Like 6

From a professional point of view - compared to the many hundreds if not thousands of people spending time out on the Broads "we" are rarely called, if it wasn't like this I wouldn't want to live here to. I have yet to find a better place to live and work. As for the 0.5% of society who do require our attentions, well, there will always be a small percentage of society who cannot manage their own lives whether its the Broads, Basingstoke or Basildon.

• Like 15

Well done Gracie some sense at last........ you deserve a little something.....

If you go online to Shoeaholics* you'll find women's and men's Kurt Geiger shoes for £39 or less in its sale, some of them down from as much as £160. Delivery's £5 and the sale ends at 11.59pm on Mon 20 Jul.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for the likes and comments, I just think sometimes (me included) we get so wrapped up in what's wrong with the world we actually forget about the good bits.......speaking of which Intamping2 what a brilliant link, thank you, Iv'e promised my hubby I won't spend to much, I lied lol.

Ray & Carole, no reason for posting it where I did originally, perhaps just a blonde moment  ;)

Grace

• Like 8

Well said.

The best advice I received from my grandad and pass it on whenever the time is right , is to remember the boat steers from the back, and keep revs down.

Once folk get their head round that it's onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

Sorry, I don't mean to drag this out but one of the very first memories from childhood was sitting on my  dad's lap 'driving the boat' at about the age of six and people waving, just generally being friendly, I remember thinking then that this is a fantastic place to be, we had been on the usual bucket and spade type of holidays, although it was nice, people just seemed to be different on a Boat, The very first Boat I can recall was Gold Gem (a right old wreck she was) but I loved her and from that moment on have loved everything Broadland.

Since then I have grown up, married and had two wonderful sons of my own who love going on a Boating holiday just as much as i did then, I do not see things through rose coloured spectacles (I think that's the saying lol) and know that things can go wrong and people can have accidents, Boats get damaged and unfortunately people can drown but planes crash and people fall off of balconies in Ibiza. I try and teach my boys to be sensible, always wear life jackets and be respectful of ALL other river users, things my dad taught me and i like to think with that kind of teaching, how can you go wrong. It really is just a wonderful place to be

Grace

p.s The only problem I have is the Sailie Types, they really should try and cruise in a straight line instead of putting the fear of god in me :naughty:

• Like 10

The only problem I have is the Sailie Types, they really should try and cruise in a straight line instead of putting the fear of god in me :naughty:

Grace the only problem I have is that I still want to drive my car on the right-hand side of the road when I get home! Been driving for years but after a week of cruising on the rivers I really have to think about where I should be on the road.  :norty:

• Like 2