Crystal Light - Herbert Woods

You should  have no problem in October.  Think if like this if you like..  In Summer its usually a case of  a sort of  enforced early finish to  cruising, especially  if you want the so called decent/premium moorings, or don't wish to mud weight,  whilst  in Autumn  its a case of a  definite enforced early  finish due to  the day light (if on a hire craft) so not a great deal of difference . Like you say its also nice and quiet,  and of course you will also have some gorgeous views on those  Autumn blue sky days. Just try and hire something  that   works  well with  your heating requirements  if you feel the cold, and has shore power so you can awake with hot water.

Enjoy,  you will almost certainly come back addicted        

• Like 1

Hello Arnie (Andrew) and a belated welcome from me as well.

Autumn is a great time to visit, we go the last week in September and love it, can get some great weather as well.

Whatever happens I'm sure you will enjoy your first trip and can almost guarantee that..........

"YOU'LL BE BACK"

(See what I did there Grace )

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

After being back for just over a week, finally got the chance to report back. Wow, wow, wow, what a brilliant week myself and the family had on the broads! So relaxing, weather was great all week and although there were a lot of boats around, didn't feel like it was overcrowed and had no problems finding a mooring for the boat. Didn't drive the boat that much as my son (aged 15) wouldn't let me, wanted to be in charge majority of the time! He loved it and did a great job, especially when mooring. Unfortunately, my memory is terrible but from what I can remember stopped at the following places along the way:

Acle  - free mooring at what used to be the Hermitage restaurant.

Burgh Castle - free mooring

Thorpe - £8.50 mooring ouch

Lodden vicinity - The Waterside Arms??? Free mooring as we had a meal and drinks

Reedham - next to the chain ferry, free mooring (good shower and toilets)

Last night of the trip, pub between Acle and Thurnmouth £3.50 mooring - lovely food at the pub and great beer, they had Bass whey hey, love it!

We did stay at other places but my memory fails me!

Ended up going to Norwich twice, once on the boat and once on the bus when we moored at Lodden.

Went to Wroxham and loved the very nice properties along the way.

Very soon will be booking again for next year but going for a bigger boat. Crystal light was easy to handle and moor and the viewing position was great (aside from when the canopy was up, couldn't see a thing!) but found the bedrooms to be a bit cramped and not easy to get in and out of the bed (especially for a 16 stone man like me) as had to crawl in as the ceiling was low  and sitting height only. Living area was fine but again a bit more room would have been good. Critisicms aside, great boat for a first time out on the broads. Roll on next year, hoping to hire Tolbago light from Herbert Woods and going for 11 days so we can do plenty of exploring.

Thanks again for all of your tips and advice.

Andrew

• Like 5

After being back for just over a week, finally got the chance to report back. Wow, wow, wow, what a brilliant week myself and the family had on the broads! So relaxing, weather was great all week and although there were a lot of boats around, didn't feel like it was overcrowed and had no problems finding a mooring for the boat. Didn't drive the boat that much as my son (aged 15) wouldn't let me, wanted to be in charge majority of the time! He loved it and did a great job, especially when mooring. Unfortunately, my memory is terrible but from what I can remember stopped at the following places along the way:

Lodden vicinity - The Waterside Arms??? Free mooring as we had a meal and drinks

Last night of the trip, pub between Acle and Thurnmouth £3.50 mooring - lovely food at the pub and great beer, they had Bass whey hey, love it!

Ended up going to Norwich twice, once on the boat and once on the bus when we moored at Lodden.

Very soon will be booking again for next year but going for a bigger boat. Crystal light was easy to handle and moor and the viewing position was great (aside from when the canopy was up, couldn't see a thing!) but found the bedrooms to be a bit cramped and not easy to get in and out of the bed (especially for a 16 stone man like me) as had to crawl in as the ceiling was low  and sitting height only. Living area was fine but again a bit more room would have been good. Critisicms aside, great boat for a first time out on the broads. Roll on next year, hoping to hire Tolbago light from Herbert Woods and going for 11 days so we can do plenty of exploring.

Andrew

Aye aye another one hooked! :naughty: Delighted you had a great time Andrew. WE did warn you its very contagious. 11 days is great. Booked that way many times also.

cheersIain

Edited by BroadScot
  • Like 1

I  have the wrong place, like I say my memory is terrible! Looking at the map again, it wasn't that far away from Wroxham and there was a nature reserve walk just opposite with a small jetty to moor up. Between Horning and Wroxham I think??? Behind where we were moored was a large expanse of water where there were lots of birds . I remember being very annoyed that night as a big party boat/paddle steamer came along full of people and blasting out music. They came back past us at around 10.30 when we were trying to get some sleep. Very annoying, surprised that is allowed on the broads when it is so peaceful!  

Andrew

Aye aye another one hooked! :naughty: Delighted you had a great time Andrew. WE did warn you its very contagious. 11 days is great. Booked that way many times also.

At a guess £8.50 was either Beccles or OBYS.

cheersIain.