windows 10 or not to windows 10

jillR

I just spent hours trying to work out why I couldn't send a file directly from office in emails as I am used to doing. A call to P C World revealed that MS Mail, unlike Outlook won't do that. 8.2 doesn't offer Outlook (flipping annoying!).

We've been talking about this at work and decided as we have no real need to take Windows 10 we are going to leave it. The main reason is that we have no idea whether it would be compatible with all the other software we use. So if you have other programs that you use a lot you might want to err on the side of caution rather than taking it and then wanting to roll your computer back if there are any compatibility issues.

Think I will let it download and hang fire on my 8.1 till issues get sorted out. This 8.1 went belly up today with desktop opening and closing within seconds which turns out is a Norton issue so a unistall and reinstall required.

This could be the time is your wanting to upgrade your hard drive in the laptop. Get new drive and ghost let it upgrade to 10 and you still have a backup drive if your not happy with 10.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused by the reference to Windows 8.2, which was never released? Windows 10 is a replacement for the planned Windows 8.2. What MS have done, in effect is rebadged 8.2 as windows 10 to distance it from the flop that was 8 / 8.1

I'll go for 10 as the compatibility system promises to be much better than 8.1, and as the platform is the same anything which works on 8 should work on 10. In addition 10 restores the more familiar appearance of 7 for those who prefer it, you'll no longer have to run Win Store apps in full screen mode but windowed on the traditional desk top. the proper start menu returns, not the rehashed version in 8.1 and a number of security issues are adressed.

Oops yes 8.1 not 2. I am running Windows 7 on my older machine and may not upgrade that. However that one runs so slowly these days that it hurts(!), have de fragged, scanned and disk cleaned within an inch of its life and it's still slow, hence the new one. If I had the cash, I'd get a Mac :(

Jill,

Windows 8.1 is significantly "faster" than 7 on my old PC!  I suppose it depends on exactly what the hardware configuration is. but personally I found it a great improvement in that respect and I hope that 10 will be better too!

Polly,

I am running Outlook on 8.1 with no problems.  It is part of Office 365 Personal (and home).

most of the machines I have here wouldnt run win 10, so I will be mostly sticking with vista and xp for those until they die, some of the machines dont even like xp, so they have linux - they are still a bit slow though - a lot of my software would need to be re-purchased to run on these later systems, which is another reason to keep xp.

Grendel

Hi Jonathan, I decided against 365 and bought a one time paid Office 13, so no Outlook, but I am not going to have an annual subscription to pay.

Iain, I will check out cleaning the registry, I have done everything else I can think of.

I’m adopting a   “wait and see” approach with windows 10 before accepting it.

On windows 7 at the moment but not impressed with Microsoft after many years and many versions

Now it seems to be moving towards annual subscriptions.

Even considering ditching it for a Mac or Ubuntu

I downloaded AVG Registry thing, it looked a bit more focused than Malware and I didn't want to interfere with a new Mc Affee install. It found oodles of issues, sorted them all. Thanks for the steer. Is the sodding thing any faster? ...Actually 'no! '

Now that is good in that the decision to get a new machine for the business is validated, and bad in that I still have uses for the other one, and....it does irritate me. :(

I wish I knew what you lot were talking about... but on the other hand maybe not!

Windows 7, 8, 10? I've got 18 windows so I'm years ahead of you all!

Mac? Aint that something you humans wear when its raining?

And a hard drive is what us boats get through Yarmouth when you dont read the tide table correctly!

As I was once told, if something requires you to press 'start' to stop it, chances are it's faulty!

• Like 3