windows 10 or not to windows 10

jillR

Windows is what the world's computer uses.. it's crap.. that's why everyone uses it :huh:.. It's owned by a guy called Bill, Named "Mircosoft" although they aren't Micro. Mircrosoft can't count hence the new version is windows 10 (previously we had 3.1, 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, 7,8,10)... For the first time ever these idoits (Microsoft) are given it away free?! Why? Because it's going to be Crapper than the last.. that's how it always works and also because they now can't even sell it because it's got so crap..Mircosoft don't know what testing is so it will be full of bugs so personally I'm not wasting my time and sticking with the version I paid for at least it should work (If that's what you call it)..

Mac's, are developed by a bunch of cyder loving hippies (No not from Norfolk, or Somerset) they only have one finger so never developed the right click, the software always looks half finished (Just like their company logo) but these "dudes" like rounded edges cause it looks cool dude and they but very good at marketing so they market to all the cool dudes at excessive prices and bizarrely the cool people buy it (Love you mum).. 

Alan. DipHE, BSc (Hons) Software engineering.. (Class of 2005)...

• Like 2

Dave,

If you reserved a free upgrade you may already have it!  To avoid  straining their systems, MS have already sent out most of the new operating system files. If you set  "View/Hidden items" then there is a file called C:\$Windows.~BT containing the upgrade.  At some point MS will allow the installer to install Windows 10 from there.  I know that's not really answering your question though.  I would guess that the "release" will happen when they wake up in the USA.

• Like 1

Lori,

As just mentioned, I think that most of the files are already downloaded on my PC and there are just under 6GB of them.  There is obviously another "key" file to trigger the installation process.  So the question is how long does it take your internet to download 6GB?

Hi All,

I have just downloaded 10, took about an hour and a quarter to download. all ok so far, just trying to get the feel of it. Start up looks good for using regular progs.

Like all things new just takes a bit of time to learn. :)

cheers Iain

Polly, I'd be very surprised if it did. Outlook is a part of the Office suite of products. For a while Microsoft bundled Outlook Express with the OS, but never Outlook. They normally bundle a 30 day trial of Office which can be purchased and a license key installed, or some OEMs allow you to purchase Office when buying a new PC.

I have just checked my update history and there are two entries    -   Upgrade to Windows 10 home-failed

I have done some checks and the problem is quite common. Any advise please would be appreciated on

the matter.  Dave R.............

Hi Dave

This happened with me as well

If you click on the link where it says failed there is a link that says something like more information, it takes you to an info page with an option to download (scroll right down). You can then either install or burn to a dvd and install from there.

Mine is installing now

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Windows releases follow a simple hit and miss rule.

1 hit

2 miss

3 hit

95 miss

98 hit

ME miss

XP hit (also big hit switching to NT)

Vista miss

7 hit

8 miss

they skipped 9

So as you can see 10 should be ok unless skipping 9 means that 10 is another lemon.

So if you are on windows 7 stay where you are if you are on 8 then look to move. But consider waiting for 10.1.

The reason upgrades are being offered for free these days is because Apple realised it suited their business model and started shipping free upgrades several years ago and Microsoft realised that over time Apple would actually undercut them in many consumers eyes.

In 8 they tried to plaster a phone/tablet interface over the top of the original desktop without thinking about doing it in any kind of integrated or sympathetic way. So the apps in the new world are written in that new world and have very little or no integration with the old world.

Apple didn't do anything so drastic instead thinking about how to bring some appropriate features in sympathetically. Used windows Linux and Apple for years personally prefer Apple for Unix underpinnings and less faff.

Polly, I'll come over.

I bought a new surface 3 two weeks ago and have struggled a bit with some panasonic lumix software but Windows 10 has cured it.

I have only had it a couple of hours but it seems a great improvement.

• Like 1

I installed 10 this morning, and have to say I like the little tweaks, sort of a old XP upgrade which I thought was Windows best effort, till now. As usual, time will tell if the upgrade suits all, and is easy to use.

Delighted to see you are downloading 10 now Dave. :party:

cheers Iain