windows 10 or not to windows 10

jillR

Polly,

I think your guess is correct the home/student version you have does not include outlook. 

I have only just come back here, but see that others have had the same problems installing that I did.  I too did the "install from Microsoft link" that deebee29 explained.

I have only had a few hours to experiment, but it looks good so far!

• Like 2

It shows I can do my upgrade, I'm on 8.1 Pro so I take it I get the Pro win 10 version.

Too busy to do a full system on the win 7 desktop but will try it out on there first when i've done it.

Went back to my house to starting put it into storage to sell and my top floor man shed (complete with beer fridge) has pc's runing every win version since 98 (runs a treat) & Amiga's boxed up. Could be time to strip them down for the WEEE pile and scrap.

I have now downloaded and installed windows 10. First impressions are that its very quick.

I had read that media player would not work in windows 10 which was a concern. However

I have found that media player is there in windows 10 and works well. Dave R.........

• Like 2

It's not the first time Microsoft has given software away, back in the days  of DOS, when disk drives got too small for their software, they included a piece of software called drivespace which compacted all the programs and data on the disk. Unfortunately for them they contravened someone elses software and had to rapidly give out a new version of DOS (6.2) with doublespace on it. it was given away free on the front of magazines which meant I went from Dos 4.1 to 6.2  at no cost!

For the last few years the company I work for, has had a deal with MS, because of the huge number of copies of windows and office we use. So I got Windows 7, then 8, and Office Pro for 10 dollars  a time with a two computer licence (download price)

It is possible that those letting windows 10 Download In the background would get a download failure indication if they turn off their computer during download. However this should correct itself once it has all downloaded (mine hadn't finished when I last turned off.) You don't need to download it all at once, which is just as well with the slow Broadband speeds in many areas of Norfolk..

I took the time out last night to upgrade my win7 laptop I use to watch TV to win10 as a test. It took a couple of hours, but coped adequately, it does seem slower to boot up, but all my programs still run perfectly so I am happy. I didnt get the little icon to update from (i swear it was there last week) but I went to the website and used the create media link, which had the option of install on this computer. interface is sort of a hybrid win xp/win 8 thing, but has the start button. control panel seemed a bit hard to find, but was easy once I found it. It even came back with my desktop ready to go.

just got to find and disable some win 7 startup programs that dont work anymore - a dell dashboard or something?

Hi Grendel,

I have a i5 processor in my Acer, and it booted up very quickly with 10. I wonder if it is blocking unrequired start up programs?

It (10) has so many things IMO like the old XP. Or to me feels like that.

cheers Iain.

Hello everyone , as some people may know on here I am a bit of a computer geek which is quite funny as the other week I struggled to in bed a video on this site ha ha.

I suppose I am fairly new to computers as I only got my first PC in 2005 but since then I have caught the bug been building PCs repairing them installing operating systems and learning about various pieces of software. Over over this time I have mainly been in Microsoft man started with XP professional then moved on to Vista yes and I listened to All these people seeing Vista was rubbish which in fact was not true the problem with Vista was you needed I feel the substantial machine to run bake processor lots of RAM and plenty of hard drive space. I then managed to get ahold of an operating system called Windows Longhorn and installed it on my machine one that I had built my self Windows Longthorne was about like all the good parts of a XP and all the good parts of Vista brought together and really was are very good operating system although it was never released.

I then applied to become a Microsoft taster I was offered a copy of Windows 7 to beta test terms of a happy man installed on my machine and I have to say but I was thoroughly impressed , I must say even today I am still very impressed with Windows 7 and think it's been one of Microsoft and Baker offerings.

Then before you know what Windows 7 had only been with us about 18 months when Microsoft announce Windows 8 what a lot of people don't know is Windows 7 Windows 8 were both being developed at the same time and Windows 8 was always about to come it was really a little bit naughty of Microsoft because a full copy of windows seven ultimate was around £160 many people of course pay less then after 18 months hello we have a new operating system Windows 8 so yes a little bit naughty.

I have course I just bought a new machine yes you herd me bought a new machine, it's a long story but I have moved house and the computer I had built was huge and I needed to downsize so I bought a very nice Lenovo 27 inch touchscreen what an ice seven processor fourth generation 12 GB of RAM and a solid state hard drive very nice machine keep with Windows 7 and the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8 so I did, I cant really say if i was that impressed to begin with but the touch screen experience I have to say was amazing being it was a ten point capacitive touchscreen , but as time went by I started to enjoy Windows 8 then suddenly we're getting 8.1 so I upgraded to 8.1 not much had changed really they had reintroduced the start menu that was all rubbish in my opinion but still I enjoyed the experience.

So now we're getting Windows 10 and I have started doing the upgrade today but I haven't quite finished yet as three years have passed since I bought my last computer I feel that was time for a new one, personally I think three years with one computer is long enough I feel relieved to move on what's the times.

Sort my new computer is the new 27 inch Apple iMac 5k retinal display with a fourth generation Intel processor 32 gig around and for getting up graphics and to top of all off it has a dual boot from OS X 10.10 to Windows 10, so it's all new for me never had are Mac before so I am really enjoying Learning this new operating system but that is so much different to Windows but I am getting there slow but sure.

When I have finally finished installing Windows 10 and I get my head around I'll let you guys know what I think but if it's anything like the changes we have had recently I'm sure it will be very good.

So I'm going to end here that's been my little rant about PCs I hope it doesn't bore too many people I find it all very interesting and long may technology keep moving forward to keep my old mind working.

• Like 4

Cheshire cat, I am still running my old laptop, bought in january 2008, with Vista, it still runs well and does everything I want (including CAD) and even better is still on the original battery (only about 5 minutes battery life now) for all of those 7 and a bit years it has been left on and plugged in (apart from a few odd occasions it has been switched off) its battered, now on its second screen, and I wouldnt change it (until it dies for good). when I bought it I bought a spare hard drive in case it ever died, and wrote a hard drive backup onto an external drive so I could repair it if the hard drive failed - it never has.I have never had to reinstal the OS. do I think vista was bad - No.

mind you I still have a win 98 laptop somewhere too.

Grendel

• Like 2

Grendel that is refreshing to hear, I thought I was the only person that like Vista any time I used to say two people all I'm using Vista they all used to tell me how bad it was but I have to say are you used it for a long time on more than one machine and had no problems with it ever. So great stuff I'm really glad I'm not the only person that enjoyed Vista...

Hello there Ian that particular feature could be switched off and you would never of had that problem again, that was the first thing I used to switch off when I installed a copy of Vista on anyone's machine, and you are correct it was a pain in the posterior.

• Like 1

T'was the shutdown before that where it froze!

S'ok (for now...!)

I have a progress wheel... progressing

(phew)

It's quite a powerful machine; bought to operate lighting control software..

I shall go into the sun and do some gardening whilst it finds it's trousers....

• Like 2