windows 10 or not to windows 10

jillR

Windows Live Mail 2011.

Hit send and i get the annoying;

"Unable to send or receive messages for the Gmail (janestrutt) account. Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server Response: Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.
Server: 'imap.gmail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: IMAP
Port: 993
Secure(SSL): Yes"

It was fine on "7" :pcwhack:  :pcwhack:  :pcwhack:  :pcwhack:  :pcwhack:

(plz forgive over-use of above rather comforting emoticon!)

Hi Jane

Looks like yo might have to reset your mail settings.

Live works fine on one of the pc's I've upgraded (talktalk email address) check gmail for a help section ... They will probably tell you what the settings need to be.

By the way the other 3 pcs I upgraded don't use live..... Not that it only worked on one

Hope this makes sense

Updated by a roundabout way last night having had 12 failed attempts by update. The update was effortless if alittle lengthy but now I have it boy is it faster. only one gripe is the cortana search box keeps popping up at odd times can turn off cortana, but no fix at the moment for windows search. Oh and on the laptop Firefox would not load but that was overcome with a download of firefox beta

Other than that smooth install on two machines like the look of the default theme of Black and shades of grey

Hi there guys been on the boat overnight so just catching up with the comments, I see one or two people struggling with the installation over Windows 10. One thing to remember Microsoft's servers Will be jampacked with people trying to download windows 10 I myself had difficulty at first so I waited till 3 AM started the download then went to bed got up at 5:30 AM download was complete then started installation and had no problems at all, of course I'm not suggesting that everyone does the same as me but I was having difficulty through the day hope this helps...

• Like 2

I am the original dinosaur, I sign on through my old AOL UK connection, purely coz I find and receiving Emails and Downloads a dawdle with AOL, I do use Chrome though for some application searches. Anyone else as daft as me?  :naughty:

cheers Iain

I did try edge, but apparently everything I tried to do (eg watch tv) it couldnt do and recommended using internet explorer instead, so I gave up with it. and went back to my chrome based - Iron browser. (rolled back to version 36 as the latest version doesnt support silverlight - which is used by most TV output.)

Grendel

I'm guessing that most who have upgraded couldn't wait for the nod from the microsoft upgrade thingy .....

Wondering why I hadn't been advised by it to upgrade I read that they are releasing windows 10 in waves .....

This avoids a sudden rush on their servers and also enables MS to fix teething problems without effecting millions of users.

So in retrospect I'm glad I am still in the waiting pool, I'll happily upgrade in a month or two when others have trail blazed the path.

Had a copy of win 10 technical release for a bit, and worked ok, loaded it on a minimum spec machine to see how low it would go so to speak and chugs along quite nicely on 4gig of ram, so feeling a bit devilish I let the reserved copy I have upgrade my copy of win7 ultimate and surprise it was painless, I will do a clean install in the week as I hate upgrades they can get messy, like most new operating systems they are a learning curve, tho I don't stress my PCs too much, just a bit of web design and as a media server for the rest of the house.

and couldn't agree more about ssd drives, was given an old Sony vaio by a friend who was going to bin it cos in his words 'it won't do what I tell it' just for a laugh a spent a few hours removing 800 or so Trojans and adware redirects was well funny, ripped out the hard drive and install a 150 gig solid state drive... Man alive it loads win8.1 in around 25 seconds and shuts down in around 6 seconds, progs load like lightning, well worth the money for the ssd... Wish I could afford a 1 TB one!

cheers

Ray

My 2nd pc failed to update so rolled back to early July and last night it was ready to install so tonight I let it go ahead to stop 2 mins in.

The issue is when it failed last time it installed a 2nd update file to run to install Win10, it fails because `you can't have 2 updates running together`

I can see the update fail history but can't delete the 2nd update.

Anyone know where I find the command line for updates on startup, just had a quick peek in regedit and spent hrs searching Google but no joy.

I downloaded it, easy, well pleased, no regrets! My son-in-law works for Disney-Pixar, he's on the Star-Wars team, so it's fair to credit him with some computer savvy, he's well impressed with Windows 10. Mind you he's staying with 8 at the moment for running his animation programs.