melody - which one to choose?

So, we just came back from 11 days on Antigua 2 and whilst in the boat yard we were able to have a look on Melody (this is the boat we are contemplating for our next trip).  We looked on Melody 3 which looks great - nice re-fit and really well laid out, however, I've seen on the forum that lots of people are saying Melody 4 is their favourite ... please tell me ... why is this????

Also, any tips or bits of info about Melody (any of them) would be welcome

Many thanks, Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy

I am not 100% sure but I thought the layouts were all the same on them to be honest. We hired Melody 2 and as we have come to expect from Richardsons the refurb is superb. The saloon bed when down is a nice size and the saloon itself roomy, the starboard cabin a tad small but more than adequate. the patio style doors lead onto a huge area for fishing and sitting out in the evening with a glass of something nice, I would hire her again in a shot.

Hope you had a lovely time, what did you think of Antigua?

Grace

• Like 1

Hopefully next year, we've had health issues with family so has been difficult to get away, thanks for asking.

Andy, trust me, I know how you feel about not wanting to give Antigua back you will feel the same about Major Gem 2, she is such an excellent Boat but then again so is Melody, to be honest I don't think there has ever been a boat we have hired that I have disliked, I never wanna give any of them back lol

Grace

• Like 2

hi andy we hired melody4 last year & it was a nice boat , & very comfortable , we only slight problem with engine but engineer fixed it for us , but iverall it was a lovely boat & went well , it was just the colour that put us off lol, i slept in the lounge as i like to know whats going off or who's around at night , but my sister slept in the middle bedroom as she said the front one was rather cold , but we had a great hols on it, here's afew pics of it. lori ;-)post-296-0-06782800-1438163706_thumb.jpgpost-296-0-48804800-1438163750_thumb.jpgpost-296-0-76416900-1438163794_thumb.jpgpost-296-0-03564700-1438163821_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just seen Melody 4 at Norwich Yacht Station.  Certainly looks like a panoramic view out of thelarge glass doors at the back.

The BA guy said that yesterday was the busiest day of the season so far.  There were quite a few boats there when we left and we passed a number going in as well.

We didn't make use of the new power points, but will certainly use them during one of our out of seasons trips.

SueH

• Like 1

Hi Alan

Yes that is what we thought, but the BA man said that although all the facilities are closed (bins, water etc) the points - so far as he is aware are not switched off.

SueH

Well we've had Melody 4 about 5 times and No 3 once. I'm told No4 is our fav boat lol which I agree. No3 had fridge issue for us but sorted ( I blame crew before for not reporting it )

It's a nice boat in March when it cold outside and good in Sept for fishing off the back.

After tea we make the top bed up and leg out on top. Good bed length. (remember to take anything out of the draw below before making bed up.

Downside fridge 4 ' away from bed, windscreen a sod to clear after a shower if your on the go.

Boat handles ok even did solo for a few days when Kaz did her foot in . tip - I put a couple of black bags under the the windscreen to stop reflections and improves the view. try cook tea in the oven it warms the cabin.

Review - it acts like a 3 legged dog in mid Sept so I wouldn't book it then lol. Trying Commodore out this Sept hope it comes with a brolly.

• Like 1

I agree about the colour but it can be good for two reasons

1. People can see you coming from a mile off

2. Stumbling back from the pub at some ungodly hour, you can't fail to not find her no matter how many you've had lol  :naughty:

Seriously, she is a cracking Boat for what you pay

Grace

• Like 2

No because we normally take it 2nd/3rd week of Sept and was putting you off lol.

Wind is a problem if it's towards rear, it blows in the rear well and after trying to stop for water I ended up facing the wrong way so I don't stop at Ludham for water on way back to Stalham due to cross blow after been caught out. Normally too many moored boats to take risks.

booked melody 2 for a week in may, no 4 and 1 already booked and major gem 2 in sept for 11 days, new pictures of major gem 2 on rickos web site, maybe they should  say on web site that pictures are of no 2 because of refit , we know no 2 the one to pick , if after looking at the pictures on web site and booked it and ended up with 1 3 or 4 and expected the same interior you would be disapointed .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've hired either Melody 1 or Melody 2 about seven times over the last few years. There are subtle differences between each of the four. Small things like the helmsmen's seat and wheel, finish of the kitchen units, placement of the sink and drainer etc. If I remember rightly Melody 1 has a double at the front with a small seat like on San Remo. Melody 4 doesn't have the sink in the forward cabin or the sloping handrails at the back.

The boat handles really well, which makes it a joy to hire solo. With 360 degrees of glass and a sliding sunroof the boat is light and airy and with the Nanni engine aft quiet too.

Pete

• Like 1

The Melody we had, had two singles in the front, great for the kids. I personally think they are an amazing Boat if you're not bothered about certain bridges, the space in the saloon is excellent, If I remember correctly there was a sink in the front cabin (had to scold the kids to keep it clean lol). I found San Remos front cabin a tad small (nice Boat though) We never, ever hire the same Boat twice, the reason being we like to try different Boats every time, but if we had to choose I would hire Melody again like a shot.

A very warm welcome aboard the Forum, Pete :wave

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

we hired the melody 4 last year & it was a nice boat apart from the colour, you need your sunglasses lol, i really like the sedan boats as you can see out of the back better when reversing mooring,& there's plenty of space inside too ,& it's not too high at the back either for getting on & off, unlike one of the bridgecraft boats, it's that high you need stepladders to get off lol , but did'nt like the one we hired this year, which was princess 2, the roof was too low, & it puthered out smoke every morning & all you could smell at night when you put on the warm air heating was diesel fumes coming through, which gave me a bad chest , lori

• Like 3

Well just booked old Melody No 4 in April lol under orders from the galley slave, We get our mini Yorkshire Terrier in Dec and it's coming with us i hear so it all one level for it. I wanted to leave it with my sister and get Broadway but silly me.

What am I saying I like Mel 4 as well,

• Like 1

someone had asked if we would sell one as they preferred it to a princess, the enquiry has not been followed up so is in the fleet for next year, (this could be changed though)

We will take any of the pre 90s boats out of the fleet for the right offer. (or any boat come to that!)

• Like 2

The pre 90s Boats in the Richardsons fleet are some of the best boats on offer for hire in my humble opinion, My fear is, if these lovely old Boats get sold off or put to pasture so to speak, Broads boating holidays will become unaffordable for the average family. Not everyone wants a luxury apartment afloat, don't misunderstand me, these new Boats are stunning of that there is no doubt but personally I prefer the basics, we don't even watch tv when we are afloat so a microwave and things working at the press of a button don't bother me, got that at home so why would I want it on holiday lol

Grace

• Like 3