Propshaft coupling

Working on the boat to day and there is a two piece coupling on the end of the propeller shaft joined with four bolts and this housing is about four inches in diameter .it is mounted on the hydraulic gearbox.When you hold the coupling tight you can feel a slight movement on the shaft both in the horizontal and radial directions,if that makes sense? What I would like to know is the end of the shaft fixed with a nut at its end ,and is it possible that this could not be tight? Could the other movement be the key way which is I believe in the end of the shaft inside this housing.Any help would be appreciated. :?:lol::lol:

Same with me Jimbo,it may have been like it for years but I would have thought that it should be solid as it transmits the power to the prop.I dont get any vibration at all ,so it is not causing a problem in that respect. cheersbar

It does sound odd, as the whole reason for the flexable coupling is to make up for any slight miss alignment so maybe there is some wear in there somewhere? Im sure ASAP will sell a good replacement or even Peachments for that matter. Is it splined or keyway?? If a keyway then there is always a way of tightning with this type I think? as the key is purely for stopping rotation, not actually gripping the shaft.

hi roy

if the propshaft looks to be running true, at a quess it shouldent be too bad.

perhaps when changing from reverse to drive etc, take it easy for a while till it s

diagnosed as thats the maneuver that will aggravate the problem, at a guess.

jill

Hi Roy,

Is it like this one at the bottom of the page?

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=hggds#/page184/

if so undo the four bolts, slacken off your stern gland and slide the shaft back a few inches and have a look at the rubbers,if they are worn then replace them, but the reason they wear is if the engine is out of line.

Thank you Dave and Clive ,I dont think it looks like the first one Dave and the second one looks more complicated on the outside of the casting Clive.I have had a suggestion that within the two halves a tapered end to the shaft with a key way and a nut on the end .The two parts bolted together make the connection from the engine to shaft,does this sound feasable and if so it should not cause a problem to remove the four bolts and inspect what lies within??? :?:?:?:?:?

hi roy

is it this one?

http://www.tadiesels.com/borg_warner-psc.html

from the look of it, i would guess that you undo the 4 bolts and slide the collar down the shaft and there

would be a key inside that may be worn and need replacing.

you could buy a length of the correct material and dimension bar and have it cut to length, if needed.

the tapped holes in the drawing are for bolts that tighten onto the shaft to hold it in place.

if those threads are damaged, i presume it would be possible to have the holes reamed out to a slightly larger size

and replace the bolts.

perhaps spray the tapped hole bolts with penetrating oil (not WD 40), well before trying to

remove them if they dont undo easily.

which engine and gear box do you have?

jill

hi barry

the engineering work that i did on my last boat was on a different engine and gear box

so i cant be sure but on my travels i have never noticed a nut on the end of a

prop shaft before.i would recomend that you mark parts as you dismantly, in such a

way as to be able to put them back the same way up, on anything to do with prop shafts

as any change in weights etc can have a bad effect on the smooth running of the shaft.

jill

Hi Jill I think i will open up the joint next time over the boat and as you say mark things as I take them to bits.Took the cover off an outboard some years ago and bits and springs etc went every where .Had to take to repair man in a box and sheepishly asked him to " mend please" which he duly did. cheersbar

Hi Roy the Flanges on the ends of my boats shafts are a machine fit onto the shafts (round shaft with a flat side) i had to press them off and pre heat back on they are held in place with 2 roll pins one inside the other . The coupling is bolted with four bolts one of which has a domed head so as to check engine alinment with feeler guage in all four positions (NSEW) I think within 30 thou all round. cheers Jonathan :Stinky

Hi just reread the question and my gear box flange in machine fit on a splined staft with a bolt into the end (hurth gear box) again this had to be pressed off I have an old flange which I used to do this. Regards Jonathan :Stinky ps Just spent the night in rnsyc lowerstoft listening to the fog horn

Come on Simon with my boat on the avatar and you have seen it in person :naughty: . To give you a clue we are right behind the the first big one with sticks. Hope your on the mend, keep an eye on the web cam and I will give you a wave around 10 ish. cheers Jonathan

Hi Simon

where that sailie is moored side on rite in front of he cam its to the right of it aswell with the tender on it that looks like the TS37

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice:lol:

Come on Simon with my boat on the avatar and you have seen it in person :naughty: . To give you a clue we are right behind the the first big one with sticks. Hope your on the mend, keep an eye on the web cam and I will give you a wave around 10 ish. cheers Jonathan

ahh so i was right :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice

Normally I wouldn’t mind (in fact would encourage) comments such as “saily†and “sticks†but gentlemen, that is a Fisher 37 you are lumping in with the rest of the windbags, a proper ship if ever there was one. :naughty::grin::grin:

Come on Simon with my boat on the avatar and you have seen it in person :naughty:

Oh the shame, indeed - and as soon as Jonny said I realised. That's usually where Blanche moors, the big Broom 535. I believe when I helped you moor her up I spent more time looking for something to tie her to than actually looking at the boat! I've never seen her with the top up - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Agree with David ref the Fisher. Even I like it!

Antares_9 wrote

but gentlemen, that is a Fisher 37 you are lumping in with the rest of the windbags, a proper ship if ever there was one. :naughty::grin: :grin:

Get the behind thee satan :lol::lol:

Quite right though if were to have an aberration and convert t'other side it would be for one of these