Swan Rhapsody

Guest Albion Boy

Guest Albion Boy

I'm on the Swan Rhapsody out of Brundall at the end of the month. It says it has a 240v system. I suppose that means you can plug into one of them thare new-fangled electricky posts, - that's if you can find one. Looking at the illustrations, it seems that this vessel's cooking facility is an electric stove. Now what I want to know - when cooking my sunday-roast will the battery run down before the Yorkshire pudding rises?

Robbie

Probably. Or perhaps a generator will automatically kick in, ensuring your puds rise, but at the same time ensuring your neighbours do too...

I suppose if you hired a boat without all that power draining stuff on it, you wouldn't be able to cook your Sunday roast... but then again, with the money you save on hire fees for the simpler boat, you could afford to take the whole family out for Sunday lunch and support a local business!

where did I leave my tin hat...

Guest Albion Boy

I will not be disturbing my neighbours - I had a time last October moored at Ranworth with boats all around running their engines. The idea of the pub for lunch sounds an excellent solution.

Robbie

with the money you save on hire fees for the simpler boat

Very true Danny.

You could hire a flappy thing with no engine, no lights, no heating, no comfort - be cold, uncomfortable,cramped and pretend you like it - Its traditional :naughty:

Different strokes....... :P

Guest Albion Boy

:) I have done that quite often. We chose the Swan Rhapsody because it had the cheapest hire fee. Although the £150 fuel deposit is pretty steep. Do you think a generator will kick in when it's needed? I read a post, somewhere on Broads net, the poster mentioned being moored next Swan Rhapsody, whose engine kept starting up, and he wasn't best pleased about it.

Robbie

Hi

I’m a regular with Swancraft but have not hired Rhapsody (It’s a Shadow hull, one they build themselves). Swancraft use inverters which run from the battery, so you are OK up to around 1,000 watts. I think generators are pretty much unique to Barnes Brinkcraft, as far as I am aware all Swancraft boats have conventional gas cookers.

If you are using the inverter for any length of time it’s advisable to run the engine however.

If in any doubt give Swancraft a bell and speak to Tony. Top class yard in my humble opinion.

http://www.swancraft.co.uk/2-4-berths.html

Robbie,

I got back from the broads last weekend and paid £100 fuel deposit, when i returned the boat, they asked for another £50.00.

No idea how it come to this ammount as last year i used £45.00, we either had fuel stolen at Horning becuase i did notice the fuel cap was loose or the radiator system is a silly ammount of money to run. Next time i think we will opt for a boat without a boiler system to compare fuel usage. i did notice a lot of the older boats now have radiators fitted and wondered if this is a way of the boatyards making extra money out of us with the fuel.

So dont expect any change from your fuel deposit

Mark.

Guest Albion Boy

I too have expeienced some discrepancies with fuel cost and usage. Last year I topped up a couple of days before returning the boat - and didn't do a great mileage after that, and didn't use the heating, even though it was late October, and I only received a small fuel reimbursement. After a good holiday and good service at a boatyard I am not the sort of person who questions things.

Robbie

Robbie,

A few years ago every boat use to have its own wooden stick so that you could see what fuel you have at the beginning of the hol and during the hol.

For some reason you dont get this anymore so you have to trust the yard that the boat is full when you take it over. Like you am very trusting so would not query this with any yard.

Hi

In June, over a 2 week holiday, we have typically used around 100 litres. This is going all over the system but not using the heating (or very little).

However in February we used over 90 quids worth of fuel in one week. We did go through Yarmouth but I think the main culprit was the warm air heating. We had it on a fair amount and I believe they consume typically about three quarters of a litre per hour. A boiler would use a similar amount I imagine, possibly more. We hired Swan Royale last year which still has the dipstick! I would trust them implicitly however and don’t generally bother to dip the fuel.

cheersbar