Big Ben - Yep the big clock

Baitrunner

I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to go to the top of "Big Ben" (which we all know is really the Elizabeth Tower and Big Ben is just the bell) yesterday evening.

Apparently it's not easy to get on the list, but free for those who can - I know a man who can and did.

A very nice lady gave us a run down of it's history as she guided us up the 334 steps to the bell tower. Unfortunately we were not allowed up to the Ayrton light, but got to walk behind all of the 4 clock faces.

The engineering that went into this over a 150 yrs ago astonishes me and to this day it is still accurate to less than 1sec in 24hrs. We got to see the actual mechanism working for the 16:45 strikes and then stood next to Big Ben for the 5pm chimes (for those concerned about H&S we did get ear plugs). Great views over London as well.

Interesting to know though they still use the BT speaking clock to check it's accuracy (OK, so it's really the atomic clock that BT use or it would be hours out!!!) and still use old 1d coins to adjust it by adding to removing them from the pendulum.

Fantastic tribute to English (sorry Iain no Scots involved in it) ingenuity and engineering.

Sorry no pictures as photography is banned.

• Like 8

I once went on a very interesting tour, one that never happens - a tour of Greenwich Power station, Photography was allowed, but we were a very select few, who worked in the industry. few people know that this power station is part of the backup supply for the London Underground, and has a rapid startup time due to the Rolls Royce gas turbines that run the generators (yes airplane engines), the exhausts are all vented up the big chimneys.

those chimneys were originally built taller, but interfered with the Greenwich observatory, so were subsequently shortened.

Grendel

• Like 2

I really love hidden treasures like those above and you have look in awe how they managed it without all the modern machinery we take for granted today.

I was luckily enough when I was working in Kuala Lumpur many moons ago to have a colleague who was well chummy with one of the main contractors for the Petronas Twin Towers, as I remember two contractors got the job and built tower one and tower two.

Tower one was started first and main structure was up to the skies with the traditional moon and crescent lightning arrestor at the very top, just below that is the machine room and was only accessible from climbing out from the window of the last floor and onto the walkway outside.

The view was just mind blowing, the views across K.L only marred by the gathering clouds and thunderstorm brewing in the near distance, it's a K.L thing, everyday at roughly 3pm it rains, it has its own Eco system as it sits in a natural depression or 'bowl' and the heat and humidity create the conditions, and man it rains, it gets dark, lightning, thunder, streets awash - the guy showing us round suggested we make our way down due to the regular hits the towers take from lightning.... (suffice to say he was saying this as he was disappearing through the access window :naughty: )

I also watched them film scenes from the Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones movie 'Entrapment' which was rather fun.

And on a typically Malay bit of oil wheeling, the prime minister was proudly given the top floor apartment for his own personal use... :bow.

How I miss the place :dance

cheers

Ray

• Like 1

well, the architecture there was interesting, cable trays built from fired brickwork, plus a nice collection of 'leisure batteries' (that's about half of the rooms worth in the photo) the other picture is the roof of the old steam turbine hall

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2442-corrected.jpg

• Like 1

Wow - that must have been special. Not sure I would have been too keen climbing out the window though?

How do I get to be PM out there?:dance

lol you have to eliminate the opposition and accuse your deputy p.m of all sorts of heinous crimes and incarcerate him for several months with no trial.... 

cheers

Ray

well, the architecture there was interesting, cable trays built from fired brickwork, plus a nice collection of 'leisure batteries' (that's about half of the rooms worth in the photo) the other picture is the roof of the old steam turbine hall

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2442-corrected.jpg

turbine halls..... A sight to behold... Some of those leisure batteries would look nice in my shed :clap

cheers

Ray