Old Carpet removal

Hi Barry, Just asked Bill for you, and he says it depends on the type of glue used, but he says that it may be able to be softened with a blast from a hot hairdryer, and scraping with a floor scraper as you go. :)

Julz :wave

Hi Barry, Just asked Bill for you, and he says it depends on the type of glue used, but he says that it may be able to be softened with a blast from a hot hairdryer, and scraping with a floor scraper as you go. :)

Hi,Julz, did not think of that probably as i did not have the dryer to hand at the time,so tried soaking in white spirit and will leave it awhile, somehow don't think it will work.

:wavecheersbarcheers:party2:

I used a hammer, chisel and a power sander one time! Messy but effective, assuming more carpet is going back on again when smooth and if nothing else will shift it. The glues do seem to vary in whether you have a chance or not... so fingers crossed it will come off

Dan

I used a hammer, chisel and a power sander one time! Messy but effective, assuming more carpet is going back on again when smooth and if nothing else will shift it. The glues do seem to vary in whether you have a chance or not... so fingers crossed it will come off

Dan

There must be something Dan that will de-glue the glue for want of a better word,someone must have been in the same predicament.Trouble is you have to try and protect the wooden flooring at the same time.

If you have room and it's really hard Barry (oh er Matron) you can use a belt sander with 20 of 40 grit production paper but make sure it has dust extraction and plug it in to a good Hoover (other vacuum cleaners are available :grin: ). I have known stuff glued down with resin as used to lay up GRP before and if it was a hire yard I wouldt be surprised if it was.

hi barry

if theyve used one of those impact adhesives it could be a really nasty job.

i googled impact adhesive remover and came up with this

http://www.thesitebox.com/Category/4023 ... mover.aspx

jill

Thanks Jill,I have bookmarked this site for future refs as am going on hols this monday for 3 weeks so will have to try it out when i get back,Ta. :wavecheers:grin:cheersbar

Hi Barry

There are tar & glue removers, but if its like a superglue type thing thats gone solid it can be very tough. Other adhesives can sometimes be lifted so definately worth trying a few solvent removers first, it may just soften it enough to make it easier, the chisels are definately a last resort!

Dan

Lighter fuel of the sort sold by tobaconists is good for removing the residue from Evostic and Sticky labels, but im not sure if it would work here due to the large area to be treated, the obvious fact that its highly inflamable, and the strong fumes from it :naughty:

Although irrelevent to this thread, It will also remove Road Tar from Car Bodywork and Shoes :)

Lighter fuel of the sort sold by tobaconists is good for removing the residue from Evostic and Sticky labels, but im not sure if it would work here due to the large area to be treated, the obvious fact that its highly inflamable, and the strong fumes from it :naughty:

It would work well if you put a match to it Julz. :naughty:

Not sure Barry's insurance company would agree though. :lol:

cheersbar

It's probably been stuck down with something like Styccobond F44, there are some solvents that will do the job, but none safe enough to use in the confines of a boat, when I was a Carpet fitter the only way we found to remove it was by using one of these, http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/Dec ... ty-Scraper, you can also buy the in B&Q type place or your decorators merchant, if the glue is fairly old and hard it usualy comes off quite easy, if it's still soft-ish it can be quite hard work, just make sure you keep a sharp blade in it,,, :grin:

Barry.

All sorts of solvents discussed there and as someone has already stated could be really quite dangerous in the confines of a boat.

Just a thought and it will be painstakingly slow but if an impact adhesive has been used can you lift the edge and whilst applying upward pressure pare away at the glue layer with a stanley knife. Alternativly have you enough room to use the old carpet as an underlay for the glue. Incidentally as suggested in one of the links for superglue water is in fact a solvent for superglue, or so I was told by the technical people at Loktite, takes a damned long time though

Barry.

All sorts of solvents discussed there and as someone has already stated could be really quite dangerous in the confines of a boat.

Just a thought and it will be painstakingly slow but if an impact adhesive has been used can you lift the edge and whilst applying upward pressure pare away at the glue layer with a stanley knife. Alternativly have you enough room to use the old carpet as an underlay for the glue. Incidentally as suggested in one of the links for superglue water is in fact a solvent for superglue, or so I was told by the technical people at Loktite, takes a damned long time though

Hi,Gordon,the carpet underneath is so manky that i have to get rid of it as you don't know what lurks in it you can catch all sorts of deseases from somethings.

• 4 weeks later...

Well managed to peel off my old 30 years old Mankey carpet using carpet solvent and when i peeled of the pld carpet used a very strong paint stripper(name escapes me)which got off the thick gluey substance finishing of by washing the residue off.now ready for fitting my new carpet tiles.