Ready Meals

RayandCarole

OK folks, not a great fan of ready meals, but some times needs must especially when doing the hospital 50 mile round trip,

So what are your favorite recommendations, my starter

Tesco finest Lasangna al forno, probably the best I have had outside Italy.

Lidl paella mix, just need to add a few extra prawns and shellfish, very nice.

Over to you

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 1

Agree with Alan go for pizza.Here's a tip why not cook an extra portion and frezze one,then when you are on the boat/home you have a quick meal.Almost a ready meal heat some baked beans,add ground or fresh chilli a spash of worster sauce.I like it when the beans go a bit mashy.then add a good strong cheese cook until its melted.

Alan what's the problem with your oven?

I am/dads

We had pasta last night and we cooked double the amount.

The second half is in a poly tub, in the freezer, now and we'll take it with us next  week. I've also grilled a load of bacon and individually frozen the slices before bagging them. When we need a bacon butty I just pop the bacon in the microwave for 30 secs.

We take milk, butter, cheese etc. in a 12V cool bag, along with some freezer blocks. This keeps the fozen stuff frozen until the onboard fridge's freeze compartment can keep it so.

• Like 1

There was a thread about pizzas in boat ovens on a canal forum a few weeks ago.  The concensus was that you need a pizza tray i.e. a round tray wirh small holes in the base, to get good results.  Turning the item on the shelf halfway through was also considered beneficial.

I'm not a pizza eater so cannot offer an epicurian opinion.

Edited by 16E
missed a word out

Hi John,

We don't have a microwave on board, but like yourselves we take the odd cold stuff with us to use up rather than leave it at home, it is a case of bringing the cheese with us or  putting it in the freezer.

It was our turn for the annual soiree (barbecue) these days because of the weather (not so warm yesterday evening) we tend to have anything other than burgers & sausages, so we have meat, salmon, cheese tartlets and scones to bring with us.

I hope you left room for your beers and wine.

Regards

Alan

Well Waitrose rack of lamb this evening very nice, but can anyone explain why you get only 7 ribs when proper butchers sell it as 4 or 8 ribs, seems to be a supermarket thing both tesco and safeway (morrisons) seem to do it in packs of 7 ribs f**kin stoopid in my opinion 4 ribs each perfect.
We had to fight over the 7th rib black eye to prove it (not)

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well after Caroles latest hospital tests, called in at Waitrose pick up something quick for tea 

Charlie Bighams lasagne, reduced from £7 to £4.49, sell by date today sorted

well not bad a bit sloppy but tasty but overall prefer Tesco Finest Lasagna al Forno

cheers

Ray & Carole  

• 2 weeks later...

We're down soon for a week and Jo has already made and frozen a couple of curries and a stew, we also take the tinned makings of a corned beef hash too. We take the usual bacon and eggs for the mid morning brunch also. We keep them in a 12v plug-in cool box and the frozen gear easily lasts a week no problem at all.

Regards

Jon & Jo

We're down soon for a week and Jo has already made and frozen a couple of curries and a stew, we also take the tinned makings of a corned beef hash too. We take the usual bacon and eggs for the mid morning brunch also. We keep them in a 12v plug-in cool box and the frozen gear easily lasts a week no problem at all.

Regards

Jon & Jo

Sounds good, Jon & Jo.   :clap

We also take a frozen, home-made, chilli and two large spuds to accompany it...  a quick, clean and easy meal!  :wave

• Like 2

Why is it Charlie, I have visions of a lady standing behind you with a frying pan in her hand and about to lay it on your bonce! :naughty:

cheersIain

Looks behind me na I'm ok Iain in a proper Essex boy not one of them plastic ones off TOWIE......................Shes a ***** cat knows her place mate............... Now runs from Grace:hardhat:

Charlie

• Like 1

We've not used them on the boat yet, but we commonly over produce Chinese or indian or british dinners, then freeze them to use later when time requires.

I used to use Hot Cans ( I got them for free at the time) when I was in my Lysander, puncture the can, place the can on a Heat proof surface and wait. 15 minutes later a hot can of food, Convenient but not the cheapest or  best meals...

Edited by TheQ

We've not used them on the boat yet, but we commonly over produce Chinese or indian or british dinners, then freeze them to use later when time requires.

I used to use Hot Cans ( I got them for free at the time) when I was in my Lysander, puncture the can, place the can on a Heat proof surface and wait. 15 minutes later a hot can of food, Convenient but not the cheapest or  best meals...

OK ...The Q...I give up!!! How did you heat it on this?

Lysander_V9281_preserved_woodford_UK.thu

Edited by BroadScot