Ready Meals

RayandCarole

• 3 years later...

I have to admit when I'm on my own on the boat, I always have ready meals I find the Co-op cook meals which are in their own freezer in most of the stores are very good just requiring frozen or tinned veg and instant mash (I can cook properly but on the boat I come to relax) I like to eat late afternoon / early evening so it is open a bottle of wine let it breathe five seconds if It's lucky, turn on Oven to warm up for 15 minutes put in ready meal for given time empty veg into Saucepan and put required amount of instant mash into measuring jug pour another glass of wine, 15 minutes before the end of cooking time put on greens boil kettle ready to add to instant mash at end of cooking time, let's face it there is enough to do here without going the whole hog and peeling potatoes preparing raw meat etc etc, anyway that's how I do it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, eddybear said:

I have to admit when I'm on my own on the boat, I always have ready meals I find the Co-op cook meals which are in their own freezer in most of the stores are very good just requiring frozen or tinned veg and instant mash (I can cook properly but on the boat I come to relax) I like to eat late afternoon / early evening so it is open a bottle of wine let it breathe five seconds if It's lucky, turn on Oven to warm up for 15 minutes put in ready meal for given time empty veg into Saucepan and put required amount of instant mash into measuring jug pour another glass of wine, 15 minutes before the end of cooking time put on greens boil kettle ready to add to instant mash at end of cooking time, let's face it there is enough to do here without going the whole hog and peeling potatoes preparing raw meat etc etc, anyway that's how I do it.

Wow.....great thread revival :default_icon_bowdown::default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2015 at 13:40, TheQ said:

We've not used them on the boat yet, but we commonly over produce Chinese or indian or british dinners, then freeze them to use later when time requires.

I used to use Hot Cans ( I got them for free at the time) when I was in my Lysander, puncture the can, place the can on a Heat proof surface and wait. 15 minutes later a hot can of food, Convenient but not the cheapest or  best meals...

Yes but always remember to puncture it ,unlike poor old Fred Astaire. with a can of Ambrosier " Pudding on my top hat pudding on my tails":default_blush:

• Haha 1

Ready meals on a boat? Been reading the thread with great interest and a lot of giggles :default_biggrin:

Trouble with us is that we don't drive, so as much as I would love to pre-prepare and freeze "stuff", by the time we got to the boat it would be ruined as we have at least one night in Norwich beforehand.

Anyway, Mr N 's appetite has been really rubbish this week, with his tooth problem and the fact that our holiday is coming to an end, so he asked me to get "something that would tempt a jaded palate" the other day. I got a frozen pepperoni pizza and a Fray Bentos tinned steak and kidney pie (yes, I know, it's possibly the lowest of the low, but it worked) from the shop at Reedham. 

Along with those, I got a packet of frozen veggie fingers for me,  which to be honest, were really nice. 

Anything quick and nutritious is fantastic on a boat where A) you've got limited facilities,  B) you're on holiday and C) you really can't be a*%ed to cook :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

Ready meals on a boat? Been reading the thread with great interest and a lot of giggles :default_biggrin:
Trouble with us is that we don't drive, so as much as I would love to pre-prepare and freeze "stuff", by the time we got to the boat it would be ruined as we have at least one night in Norwich beforehand.
Anyway, Mr N 's appetite has been really rubbish this week, with his tooth problem and the fact that our holiday is coming to an end, so he asked me to get "something that would tempt a jaded palate" the other day. I got a frozen pepperoni pizza and a Fray Bentos tinned steak and kidney pie (yes, I know, it's possibly the lowest of the low, but it worked) from the shop at Reedham. 
Along with those, I got a packet of frozen veggie fingers for me,  which to be honest, were really nice. 
Anything quick and nutritious is fantastic on a boat where A) you've got limited facilities,  B) you're on holiday and C) you really can't be a*%ed to cook :default_biggrin:
Fray Bentos pies are the dogs doo-dahs. Another guilty-pleasure is instant mash. I love the stuff.

Is this the place to admit liking Pot Noodles as well?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

Fray Bentos pies are the dogs doo-dahs. Another guilty-pleasure is instant mash. I love the stuff.

Is this the place to admit liking Pot Noodles as well?

I have to admit that we have one on the boat for emergency rations with instant mash & beans they are not bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveDuk said:

I too am a fan when out and about, fray bentos pie and some good quality instant mash (the Idahoan mash is not cheap, but tastes nicer than the smart price stuff.)

always good for a stock cupboard, that and the kenco 3 in 1 sachets, just add hot water for a white coffee with sugar.

take a couple of sachets of instant custard, and there is the basis for a few days meals, (though I have to admit to a good fry up with bacon and eggs for breakfast)

• Like 1

Waitrose Thai that could be all done in the oven was our favourite. Often eaten at Boundary Farm before a night nav back to Stalham and home. If eaten off good quality paper plates with Lathams plastic knives and forks the whole lot could go in a black plastic sack and into Broadsedge's dumpster bin. 20 mins later home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always used to like custard, however we went to Tan's Dads house in Manchester, We had a meal and Mavis then came in with what we thought was apple pie and custard, I took a bit and was disappointed by the flavour. Custard tended not to go with potato and leak pie.:default_icon_eek:

Needless to say I do not eat onions and am allergic to garlic.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Is it just me or does everyone else have to play hunt the meat with Fray Bentos pies nowadays ?

where have all the large chunks of beef gone ?

No, you're not imagining the "lack of meat".....this is why I also oven baked an extremely large burger.......just in case!:default_biggrin: