Ugly Boat?

JennyMorgan

I see absolutely no reason why folk shouldn't have all the high-tech gizmos they want aboard, so long as it doesn't mean the anti-social running of the engine at moorings.  However, does high-tech have to go hand in hand with aesthetically poor design, e.g. ugly boats?

• Like 1

Have you got a Taylors Stove to go with it? They make a great cabin heater as well. Chris

Nope But we had a lovely Origo on Rondonay. 

On 1929 built Brilliant I  have a state of the art SMEV Moonlight 3. It's the only bit of modern tech. on view. Oil lamps don't count as modern do they? (The LEDs are behind 1930s bulkhead fresnels) ;)  Oh, and the induction hob connects to hidden 240v supply when on shore power, otherwise it's in a locker!

If you are looking at Brilliant, only the cooker is obviously modern.

Hiring sailing boats on the Broads is still very popular BTW, Hunters, Whelptons and Martham all keep busy. 

•  
Edited by Polly

Similar in style to Silver/Gold/Platinum Emblem. Not  pleasing to look at,   but then again  if you are a hirer out for a few days  once a year as has been said you are more likely  to sacrifice looks for tech/comfort . The salient point for the yard (if true) was the report that  advance bookings for  2016 are 60% up on same time as those for  2015 .

As to selling in future, that's a very good point, however if after a couple of decades of hire useage and more and more of this style  appearing  due to "demand" they may be seen as "the norm" by some of   the next gen of hirers who demand comfort and will perhaps be inoculated to the look when they decide to buy shares in  a boat or buy outright as they get older/can afford it ?    Those produced by the likes of for eg  Ricos and more pleasing  to look at would  simply attract a premium   

Hello All,

Slightly off post, but l was wondering what other peoples' thoughts are on the trend for new boats to be all or mostly white. Personally, l like to see some colour. Wether it's uniform such as Summer Craft or Royalls etc, or rainbow like Richardsons 'classic' fleet.

No need to run away Cheesey – I agree.

I was not around at the time, but my mum was when Wilds came to the fore with their new ‘bath tubs’.  These really were radical compared to what was on hire at the time and while you would never please everyone, many a family would look at like those spacious salons and the fold away double was a great idea and use of space. The misses would no doubt like the kitchen with eye level cabinets and plenty of work space not to mention a decent hob.  The warm air heating system to each cabin was the icing on the cake.

When one goes back through the 1980’s and 1990’s new boats would come but there was not a great deal of technical innovation going on. Sure they were new builds and looked really smart,  and you might get a VCR and some films for a week and a radio CD player not a tape player but under the skin they were much the same as anything else on hire.  

It is only in recent years that not only have the boat designs changed now usually meaning larger boats with less cabins in them, so too has the interior and what the boat is capable of offering its guests.

Something like having a TV in each cabin should not be seen as somehow a ‘treat’ or something to write home about – how long has the family home had a telly in each bed room?  What however does make changes are things that directly effect the comfort of a hirer.

The only way you will be able to provide things that reliably work hire after hire and that require a great deal of power is by using a generator.

Now my Mum loved Brinks Rhapsody but I know her husband would have disliked it – because it is providing all the things he would not give a care in the world about at home let alone on the water.

I liked the fact you had hot water on demand with no need to run the engine to get it, the fact each cabin had independent heating so if I was warm I could have it off but my mum have it on in her cabin.  An electric kettle - oh goodness how nice was that to use as it boiled far faster than a gas hob one and actually switched off when it was boiled just like at home lol (and for those who want a whistle when boils you can get electric versions that do just that).  A proper hob and oven, microwave, full sized fridge...It really did make a big difference.

Despite it all though the bit that seemed one step a little too far was the hybrid drive system.  Basically, if Brinks Rhapsody was fitted as it was with all it has but with a conventional diesel engine it would surly get as many hirers and make those who holiday on her just as happy.  Despite the electric system, we still got through fuel – almost half a tank in 4 nights – because whenever the generator came on to power the boat through the water it would run at 2,000RPM and do so for a good while to re-charge the drive batteries.  So, even though you may be doing 4MPH down the River Ant and a conventional boat might require 1,200RPM or less to achieve this speed.

If the Broads Authority were really serious about the promotion of quite, electric cruising they would work with other parties and at each ‘charging post’ have one that had a specific type of connector that only would fit electric boats thus removing the current situation where everyone and their grandmother can turn up, pay their credit plug in just to run a microwave or a fan heater.

Until one has a true network of charging points, I say leave the hybrid stuff alone and concentrate on high class boat designs, interiors that match and services on board that are worthy of these

Very much like cars. You have

Hybrid------Plug in Hybrid and electric. All do different things but many of the new generation petrol engines are clean, economical and dont suffer the limitations of the others. Like having to chose between range and warmth.

I an sure that I saw a picture of a boat from Oulton that was in the style of a Topliner but the stern had a ramp to put your own caravan on! Would love to see it again if anyone has a picture in an archive.

I think many of the ferry fleet are pig ugly, and think a lot of the reason is because the design brief was just to be different, not nessecarily better, just diferent, so they made something pig ugly just besause it`s different. There were some stunning designs in the 80s and 90s, and some of the old woodies from the 60s had a distinct modern line to them, but made in traditional materials.  Some of the GRP / timber top designs looked stunning too, and whenever you see one in immaculate condition, it`s a pure joy to just look at it in amazement. In fact, there is a member on this forum who knows exactly what i`m on about, as he has exactly that type of boat, moored not far from Lightning, dare you admit who you are young sir?.

As for the so called "green boating idea", sorry, but i`m not convinced, and think Robin (London R) is spot on. The unenvironmentally friendly manufacturing processes required to buid these so called "green systems" are a million miles from green. What is the point in not using a 50hp deisel for propulsion, but using the same unit for longer periods having to charge batteries who`s manufacturing process is one of the most unenvironmentally friendly systems going?. It`s also worth remembering that all these "green boats" are made of GRP, itself a very unenvironmental product as we`re lead to believe

The most environmentally friendly form of boating can only be a timber sailing boat with canvas sails, and a pair of oars. I`m sure Peter (Jenny M) will agree there?.

• Like 2

I am very interested in what Robin had to say about the Hybrid System and the luxury that comes with it.

I am hiring Brinks Rhapsody next month and Richo's Commodore in April and will be comparing (in my personal opinion) the difference between 2 similar levels of fit-out with the different drive systems. I will be taking both boats down south for a couple of days, so fuel usage can also be looked at.

Somebody has to do it and I fancy the job.:Stinky:Stinky lol.

• Like 2

You know when reptillian aliens invaded earth, those little transport ships look like a few of the craft on the broads but the wings taken off.

hideous.

wonder when it will be wedged under a bridge....

Edited by CaptinDread

Those Topliners were  if I remember right were not successful, they cost almost as much to hire as a conventional hire boat, hence I think they have all been converted to normal hire boats if of unusual design.That particular picture looks faked though, as you cant get out of the caravan without going for a swim and the caravans had to be reversed on . They were also Inside the hull sides.

• Like 2

Yes does look not right, though many caravan had a door each side in those days, a design not in fashion anymore. Not sure what boat safety would make  it either.

Edited by ChrisB