What Happened to Beryl?

Julz

On 16/10/2007 at 17:49, Morris Man said:

Hi all, a number of years ago there was a wooden day boat on the hard at Acle Marina and I was told that it was called Beryl and used to belong to George Formby, this was restored at Russell Marine in South Walsham.

I remember seeing that day boat when they had finished rebuilding her, and if memory serves me right the asking price was something like £6000 which seemed very reasonable for a lovely piece of history and yes it was named Beryl

8 hours ago, eddybear said:

I remember seeing that day boat when they had finished rebuilding her, and if memory serves me right the asking price was something like £6000 which seemed very reasonable for a lovely piece of history and yes it was named Beryl

If it’s the one I’m thinking of it’s similar to a Spartan but with a distinct two piece transom with a slight point/ aft stem line but not a full blown reverse bow. There was a cruiser with the same stern design built for the Norwich speedway owner called Speedway Star. Was outside at Martham a few years back but not sure what’s happened, the owner sadly passed away and I’d heard his daughter had taken it on so hopefully not gone to the big boatyard in the sky.

Just to add some more confusion here, I believe there were several Lady Beryl's. George showed my Dad round one in the late 40's or early 50s when it was moored at Herbert Woods I believe it may have been built by Woods. I don't think it was a Windboats design, I am sure he said it was a large sedan , revolutionary at the time. Unfortunately I don't have any photos and my Dad is no longer around to question.

Neil

I read somewhere that George Formby also owned one of the St Olaves built Albatross 2 seaters. Along with every other notable and Royalty at the time according to the sales brochure when one comes up for auction.

The later versions were available with a Coventry Climax power unit which doubled the original's power at the prop and were very fast for their day.

Albatross_1.jpg.88658bdeeac54cbd93fa25566c483d4a.jpg

20 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I read somewhere that George Formby also owned one of the St Olaves built Albatross 2 seaters. Along with every other notable and Royalty at the time according to the sales brochure when one comes up for auction.

The later versions were available with a Coventry Climax power unit which doubled the original's power at the prop and were very fast for their day.

Albatross_1.jpg.88658bdeeac54cbd93fa25566c483d4a.jpg

Lovely little boats those, and the lines are fairly simple. I always fancied a go at a plywood stitch and stick version with a second row of seats, just don't have anywhere to do it. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My father owned her for a good few years  i remember as a child when my dad fitted the ford diesel engine  and the  battle it was.   He was a boat engineer  and kept in in old windsor and later moved to Brentford on the tidal Thames. Many fond memories of her and stories my dad told , wining the traditional boat rally   drunk, and remember the amount of time it took to vanish her  and she looked amazing  it  was one of my fathers biggest regrets selling her and getting a narrowboat   around 1988 .Sadly my father passed away in 2001.  I still kept some of the pictures of her to this day and i got the brass bell with name engraved on. 

It be nice to see her again and find out where she is lying, last i heard was on the south coast but have heard something that she has returned back to wroxham area.

If my memory serves me right she was one of 3  built at the same time Tramere  , Almeria  and the last one was very similar

• Thanks 1