DON'T SPEED, it could cost us all!

JennyMorgan

On our recent holiday I had one of those Garmin Etrex GPS jobs that have been mentioned on here (I bought it of ebay for £25). It was amazing how your speed changes depending on tide and wind! On heading down to Yarmouth (with the tide) to cross South.... 1100RPM was giving me 5.5 MPH, I cant remember now what the plate on the dash said... but Im pretty sure 1200 was meant to be 4mph.  On the way back down the Yare the wind and tide were behind me and I coudn't get the darn boat to do less than 6mph! (unless I put her in reverse!). So, for the general holiday maker I think occasional speeding is inevitable, for those that know better, at times I think it will still happen. In saying that I do not condone speeding!

• Like 1

Okay, so let me get this straight, just exactly WHEN did the bl..dy GESTAPO start to run the broads?. For gods sake,  let`s STOP with this judge and jury attitude and get back to what this forum is all about, or supposed to be about. I`m fed up with reading the now endless posts of those who think everything should be done THEIR way, and persecute those that don`t share their view.

It IS`NT  a legal requirement in life to keep on publicly criticsing people who may think, behave, and live life differently to you.

Okay, so let me get this straight, just exactly WHEN did the bl..dy GESTAPO start to run the broads?.

About twelve years ago?

Speed, surely expecting the Authority to maintain the legally enforceable speed limits hardly deserves your tirade! This thread started off as a warning, don't speed, it could cost you, indeed it could cost us all. Is that really so bad?

• Like 4

Calm down Neil, watch the old blood pressure, this thread to me is but a warning to ALL. Yes there have been side issues mentioned, nothing untowards though IMO. 

We can all relate to speeding on the Broads, will it ever be stopped? Personally, I doubt it very much.

cheersIain

• Like 6

What i get fed up with Iain is some peoples "holier than thou" attitude as if they`ve never done anything wrong, or have always known better, and are always trying to take the so called moral high ground. I bet every single person on this forum who is a regular broads boater has at sometime broken the speed limit, yet to listen to the way some of them harp on about others that do it, you`d think they`ve never gone over the limit.

"Let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone" comes to mind.

• Like 2

If I'm running at a speed that doesn't put up too much wash or cause anyone issues and turn a corner to have the tide push me faster I generally don't worry about it as I'll still not put up any more wash or cause anymore problems despite being over the speed limit, limits should be in knots over water not mph over ground, it's just much harder to enforce an over water speed.

I thought the gestapo DID run the broads.

And yes I did report the idiot that came past surlingham ferry boincing moored boats about a few weekends ago, theres speeding a bit and theres just being a complete tw*t.

Edited by LeoMagill
Added a bit.
  • Like 5

I rather concur with Neil's post if not quite in such strong terms.

What will happen to the holiday industry if the broads gets the reputation of "the easiest place to get 'done' in"? 

"There's speeding a bit and theres just being a complete tw*t." as LeoMagill puts it. I'm absolutely certain the BA rangers know this and I would imagine their normal reaction would be anything between a blind eye through waving a lollipop to chasing after and stopping the offender. I'm sure that only exceptional cases would result in court cases.

If a craft goes passed me whilst I'm moored, and rocks me a bit, I don't mind too much. That's one of the joys of being on a boat. The more it rocks me the more I mind. Too much and I'll voice my displeasure. Only if it is approaching a dangerous level will I take notes of names and numbers, and only if I strongly believe it exceeds dangerous would I start making phone calls.

The speed limits are over land as this is the only way a novice will be able to judge the boats speed, but in reality it is the speed through the water that creates the wash, and the wash is the issue. 

My view is pretty simple, If someone wants to dress up as a pirate, let him do so. I don't mind. If a boat is loaded to the gunnalls with cheap booze, I just hope they stay safe and have a great time. and if it's a stag or hen party, I wish them well for the future and raise my glass to them. If whoever they are, and whatever they're doing they are enjoying themselves, then life is good. If they are ACTUALLY doing damage, only then should any reporting be thought about.

• Like 7

Although the sailing and rowing club rescue craft claim an exemption I believe it only counts when they are rescuing someone and not just coaching pushing a wash up past moored boats, at that point they should be showing just a much consideration for others as we are expected to.

I'll add that the one I reported bounced moored boats around in particular the one behind me that I'd just helped hold in while the partly disabled guy got off in a very unsteady fashion, that was a dangerous situation to put them in....

I could post a piccie but I won't (unless he does it again in which case feck him)

Edited by LeoMagill
Added a bit.
  • Like 2

As previously advised, I will report any and all tw*ts. Obviously I'm not going to report anyone going just a tad over but I did/will report someone/anyone being stupid and dangerous and that's not me taking any moral high ground it's just the right thing to do. So don't be a it tw*t anywhere near me and I won't report you!

P.s the person who reported content on this, sadly you wasn't logged in, if you wish to add further please message any of the forum team.  cheers 

I flag people who are throwing a considerable wake, not otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't report them unless there was a dangerous incident.

The ones mentioned above subsequently threw Brilliant about, we were under way and she weighs 4 tons. 

MorningSwan

Danger to life and limb Is very much an issue with being thrown about by the wash created by speeding boats (not boats just over the limit), anyone cooking at the time is at serious risk of scalding (happened to a friend of ours) also the young, elderly and disabled are in danger of being thrown off seating not to mention anyone working topside.

I am sure A.J.B. will confirm wash is very much a factor when considering prosecution and especially with photographic evidence, like most people I have been slightly over the limit at times through changing conditions and depths of water and bends, I have only ever received a friendly slow down from the rangers and I am sure they only go beyond this when circumstances demand stronger action.

Fred

Just as a matter of interest, but are yachts exempt from speed limits? I know a racing yacht can do a lot more than 6mph but they leave hardly any wake.

And it is the wake that is the problem to river banks and moored boats.

They are exempt if sailing, under motor power they are supposed to obey the limits.

And we won't forget this one, will we, Q? We actually did always obey this one!
(Nowadays we have to wait until we can see their exhaust unless they're sailing directly into wind...)

Colregs Rule 25
Sailing vessels underway and vessels under oars
    A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a  
      conical shape, apex downwards
  • Like 1

Sorry, I can't resist this, and I admit I'm being a bit of "devils advocate" here.

You are moored alongside the bank when you see a motor boat approaching at considerably over the speed limit creating an almighty wash. As it nears the moord craft (we shall say that others are there too) it slows to well under ther limit and passes them. no wash, no rocking.

as soon as it has passed, the skipper whacks up the throttle again and carries on at speed. In the distance you can see this skipper repeating this manouver as it passes another moored boat.

I ask each of you these questions.

Would you take any action to bring this skipper to task?

Wouild that answer change depending on hire craft as opposed to a private craft?

Just wondered..... tee hee!

• Like 2

Lol.. In my view the speed limits are there not just to protect boats but to conserve the banks and the local little critters that live there.. So although they aren't be tw*t they are still speeding. I would probably still report them.. I'm a a** aren't I.. ;) (Wonder if the BA have any jobs going ;) ) cheers 

I believe the Broads speed limits are to protect the banks & environment.

Care passing moored boats is a matter of courtesy & politeness.

The argument re: scalding issues whilst cooking can only be applied to inland cruising where it is mostly unusual to experience natural waves .... although buffeting by wind can occur.

To be honest when on a boat you should expect the unexpected. You are not on terra firma ..... So be careful when handling hot liquids ..... don't blame others if you havn't bothered to take precautions.

and please use your camera for what it was intended ..... recording your holiday highlights ..... not snooping on others.

• Like 4

I believe the Broads speed limits are to protect the banks & environment.

Care passing moored boats is a matter of courtesy & politeness.

Actually the Byelaws cover this more specifically, I think B(I) and B(ii) cover passing craft quite well. Excess speed leading to disturbance of moored craft would possibly break Byelaw 10 as well as the speed byelaws.

The master of a vessel shall navigate the vessel and any

vessel towed thereby:

(a) with care and caution; and

(b) at a speed and in a manner which:

(i) avoids injury and the likelihood of injury to the occupants of

other vessels;

(ii) avoids damage and the likelihood of damage to other

vessels, property, moorings or structures on the banks

comprised in the navigation area;

(iii) avoids giving reasonable grounds for annoyance to other

persons using the navigation area;

(iv) avoids damage and the likelihood of damage to the banks or