A Magical Week

Villan

You're writing this up beautifully Andy, thank you. Some great pics as well. How did you manage to stay away for 14 years!

I'm surprised your boat wasn't ready until 4pm as despite that being the advertised tome boats tend to be ready much earlier. Still you managed to pack in plenty once you got underway.

• Like 2

One of the things that is great about this forum (in my view anyway) is how a holiday tale can prompt other discussion. I've always particularly enjoyed the dinghy aspect of the Broads, so nice to have inadvertently acted as the catalyst for some chat on this.

Day 3 will follow shortly. We're going to visit family for the Bank Holiday later today, so I won't be posting over the weekend until Tuesday. However, the write up of Day 4 is coming along so I will try to post this later this afternoon before I experience the joys of the M25 and M40.

• Like 5

Monday 17th August

I had a better night, going straight to sleep and waking up at 0530. Having lain in bed listening to the sound of the ducks for a while, Janine and I got up, had showers and a light breakfast. The boys did not stir until 0715, but they were quickly breakfasted, showered and dressed as we had a date with the bridge pilot at Wroxham.

We left Salhouse at 0820 in brilliant sunshine, but as we nosed out onto the Bure it was apparent there was more wind than yesterday. The cruise to Wroxham was surprisingly quiet with only one other boat going that way and we pulled into the pilot moorings without having to queue. After five minutes the pilot came and we were through.

Within minutes of leaving the Kings Head moorings it was obvious that the character of the river had changed. The trees were thicker, the water clearer and Janine and the boys could see fish in the water from their vantage point on the front of the boat. At the helm, I set the engine just above tickover and just enjoyed the privilege of cruising on the upper Bure in the sunshine.

In just over an hour Coltishall came into view. The lunchtime rush had yet to hit as it was half past ten and there was plentiful mooring space at the Common. After turning the boat around and mooring, the boys were let loose onto the Common with a ball and then with Frisbees. It was good for them to burn off some energy while Janine and I had a quick tidy up inside the boat.

The boys and I then took an excursion in the dinghy. We had intended to row past The Rising Sun to the head of navigation, but a combination of the first wave of boats coming up for lunch and a strong wind resulted in us returning after only 10 minutes.

We decided to revisit The Rising Sun on foot for a spot of lunch. It was classic pub grub fayre (scampi and chips for me, washed down with a pint of Wherry) and there was a good kids menu. Appetites sated, we went back to the boat and set off downstream.

We had spotted a few potential mooring stops on the way up to Coltishall, including two wild mooring spots and Wroxham Church Staithe which looked delightful. However, these were all occupied so we moored up at the far end of the Hoveton Viaduct moorings.

It was a spot I was familiar with from previous Broads holidays. We had a good view up the wooded Bure from the rear well and we were close to Bridge Broad, which makes an excellent dinghy circuit. Joseph and I went out to experience this as soon as we were tied up. We drifted downriver with the current and wind before going into the Broad and fighting against both to get to the exit further upriver before drifting down to the boat again.

We had a special grown-up meal planned for tonight, so Janine did the boys some pizza onboard whilst I walked into Hoveton to get some bread and milk. By 1900 the wind had dropped and boat traffic nearly stopped, so Joseph and I did another dinghy circuit of Bridge Broad. We took our time, appreciating the peace and quiet, as well as the fact that the wind had died down by now.

The boys changed and chose a DVD to watch in the wheelhouse while Janine and I sat down in the dining area to have our special meal. This consisted of Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie with tinned potatoes and tinned carrots. Janine does not normally allow such food near our table, but  for some strange reason, I love to eat this when we are on holiday in the UK. I only get to sample this “treat” once a year and this was the night!

This was consumed and we were clearing up when what sounded like World War Three broke out in the wheelhouse. Having been brilliant for two days, the boys argument over who sat where had spilled over into a fight. As usual when we are not there to determine who the aggressor is, they were both sent to bed amidst protests of innocence.

Our mood mellowed when we returned to the aft well with the remainder of the wine we had been having with our gourmet meal.  The sky had turned pink as the sun was setting. Then a few drops of rain started to fall. We had been lucky with the weather so far, but the forecast for tomorrow was not good.

049.JPG

047.JPG

050.JPG

055.JPG

• Like 9

Tuesday 18th August

Having gone out like a light after climbing into bed last night, I woke up at about 2am and heard what was now an incessant drumming of rain on our cabin roof. After a while I went back to sleep until 0630 and a damp and grey scene greeted me when I looked out of the window. The plan for today was to get under the bridge early and then cruise to somewhere around Ant Mouth, ready to go up my favourite Broads river the following day under better weather conditions.

After bacon sandwiches our normal morning routine was completed in time for us to set off at 0830. Easing on the throttle as we pulled out onto the river, there was a loud crash from the back of the boat and the sound of crying. With the canopy and screens up, I was not aware of what had happened, so I sent Matthew from the forward cabin into the rear dining area to find out.

It turned out that having untied the front of the boat and walked back along the decks using the handrail, Joseph had been climbing down into the well when I applied the throttle. This had caused him to slip on the wet deck and fall down into the well, cracking the front of his head on one of the steps. As Janine got him inside and put a cold compress on his head, I did a less happy lap of Bridge Broad before she joined me to moor up stern on at the Kings Head.

It was not the best mooring. With less room to line the boat up than I had at Salhouse I could not get the angle right and I tapped Monte Carlo from Richardsons coming in. One of the occupants emerged to help us with the ropes and he waved away my apologies on the grounds that the impact was negligible. He was very friendly and I would normally have chatted for longer, but I wanted to see how Joseph was.

When I got back on the boat, he was in the wheelhouse under a blanket. He was ashen and a large lump was forming over his right eye. As Janine gave him some Calpol and a cup of sugary tea it was obvious that we were not going anywhere soon. I decided we all needed some chocolate, so Matthew and I set off into Hoveton to buy some.

By the time we returned, Joseph had his colour back and he devoured his Fry’s Peppermint Cream with relish. We decided to leave and the bridge pilot indicated that he would be ready to take us under in a few minutes. The rain was still beating down, so we moved the TV and seat cushions into the front cabin before lowering the canopy. Much as I prefer centre cockpit boats, this is an undeniable downside.

Once under the bridge we dropped off the pilot onto the decks of Blue Gem, which was waiting to go the opposite way. Janine wound the canopy up whilst I helmed the boat downriver. I had not liked the restricted view that I had with the wiper-less screens up, so these were left down. With the TV and cushions still in the cabin and a towel spread over the dash, this was quite an effective way of keeping dry and maintaining visibility.

Conscious that the boatyards could well be full of moored boats in this weather, we decided to go to Salhouse Broad for water. It was virtually deserted, so we moored up with me using the plentiful space to try to rebuild my stern mooring confidence. Joseph came out on deck to help with the water hose and was now looking much better.

We pressed on downriver. It was busy now, although the rain was becoming lighter. Coming upon the moorings at St Benets, we saw a suitable sized gap and pulled in, with Joseph making a welcome return to deck duties. It was five past midday and we were all hungry, so the screens were put up and ham and cheese toasties prepared.

After lunch, we decided to go for a walk around the Abbey. A low mist was rising off the sodden landscape which added to the mystical atmosphere of the place, especially when a sail negotiating a twist in the river appeared to be gliding across the fields like a ghostly apparition. As we walked to the cross where the high altar used to be, the rain began to lash down. We were wet through when we got back to the boat, but glad to have had a walk.

It was decided that we would try for one of my favourite Broads moorings for the night- Womack Island. I had some trouble getting Magical Light off the bank owing to the wind, with the advice that Robin gave on this subject on his Belmore TC blog having leaked from my mind at a most inconvenient moment. Eventually we got clear and set off with the canopy up and screens down once again.

When we turned left at the fork at the end of Womack Dyke, I was reminded why I love this stretch so much. The trees seemed to crowd the river and the scene was reminiscent of the creek at Salhouse. Unfortunately, the occupants of the two other boats moored on the Island clearly saw the appeal as well.

Coming up the Dyke, we had seen a large unoccupied bay on the left which was quay headed without posts. This was still free as we came back the other way, so I nosed the bow in and then got off for Janine to throw the rope to me to pull the stern in. The bay was the perfect size for Magical Light and her dinghy, which we tied closely to the stern having tied the rond anchors to the cleats.

It was a lovely secluded spot, but after a day in the rain our main focus was to get dry. The screens were put back, wet clothes changed and hung up and the boat swept free of the mud that had accumulated over the course of the day. Having put the wheelhouse back together, we all played board games and drank tea while the rain continued to hammer down outside.

After a family Spaghetti Bolognese, the boys watched yet another DVD on the reinstalled TV. Janine and I washed up and then sat in the dining area finishing off the Chianti we had with our meal. By now the rain had stopped, so we wandered out into the well to enjoy the misty views across the landscape. However, it was too damp and cold to linger outside for long so we came in. After sending the boys to bed we had a cup of tea in the wheelhouse whilst discussing our plans for the following day. The forecast was good and we were set to go up the Ant.

059.JPG

060.JPG

063.JPG

067.JPG

• Like 10

What a wonderful holiday tale. I can visualise it so well from your wonderfully descriptive writing. Having just read the first few days all in a row I am eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

Hope you enjoy the bank holiday weekend and that the traffic on the M25 isn't too horrendous.

oh are the canadian ones even more stable? (They look more unstable if anything lol) 

(Sorry for hijaking Andy.. we are really bad on here for doing this.. Never mention shoes on a thread too that really gets them going.. Fish2)

Googling led me to this Jane (and Andy your son maybe interested), although not cheap (I think);

http://www.thecanoeman.com/hire.php

Also in bungay  (someway past geldeston)

http://outneymeadow.co.uk/canoe-hire.htm

Rowans seem to do though: http://www.canoethebroads.co.uk/cent-geldeston.html

WRC seem to hire too.

I think next year (or maybe later this year if it warms up again) we will try it for a couple of hours.. looks fun. cheers 

liking the look of the canoe man - anyone who "gets" why you'd want to do an overnight trip is coolio in my book!

This holiday tale certainly lives up to it's title, the are photos stunning :clapand the boys are so cute :love

I have to say you showed great restraint with the guy and the ropes, I think I would have showed him how to tie a stern rope up his stern if you get my drift lol, why do people have to be so rude?

Jane, please don't encourage our Jaws to try kayaking, it's bad enough he's let loose on the Broads in Orca, I can just see it now, after a few bevvies, going round in circles and zig zagging all over the place, he'll put us hirers to shame lol :naughty:

Grace

Gracie - if we could be there to see it i recon  it'd be great entertainment - or maybe get it on video eh Alan? :nosey:

• Like 2

Back from a really good weekend, which included a fantastic day at the T20 Cricket finals at Edgbaston on Saturday. It made the horrendous five hour journey up to Worcestershire on Friday (normally takes two and a half) worth it!

I'm definitely not a professional writer (my background is in Logistics), but the Broads does tend to wring descriptive language out of me. I will be back to posting a section each day from now on. I'm having trouble uploading pictures again for whatever reason, but will try again later on the basis that the issue sorted itself out last time. Regards- Andy.

Wednesday 19th August

We all slept soundly and were awake by 0630. Outside it was grey, but there was a growing patch of pink sun in the Eastern sky which looked encouraging as we consumed our egg on toast in the wheelhouse. By the time we were ready to head off at 0830, hazy sunshine was beginning to seep through.

It was good to be able to have the canopy down again, especially as the River Thurne was incredibly quiet as we headed towards Potter Heigham for water and a few provisions. I was conscious that I had made contact with the quay when leaving Herbert Woods on Saturday, but surely with my improved boat handling skills and less traffic it would be fine this time!

As I approached Herbert Woods yard, there was a boy in a dinghy near the entrance. He did the right thing and moved to the far side of the entrance, but to avoid him I had to take a tighter line than I would otherwise have done. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have brought the boat to a stop and then turned in using my desired line, but I didn’t.

On the positive side I was now skilled enough to wind on enough lock to stop the stern from hitting the quay as we turned in. However, the dinghy made contact and the rope securing it to Magical Light snapped. The dinghy was now loose and obstructing the entrance to the yard.

We moored at the nearest water hose and while Janine and Joseph sorted out the ropes I ran round the quay to try to retrieve the dinghy. Fortunately the aforementioned lad had got hold of it and was bringing it into the boatyard alongside his own vessel, which was quite an achievement. I took it from him thanked him and praised him on his skill, which had put mine to shame.

I returned to the boat, apologising to the occupants of HW’s bungalow “Bittern” for running across their quay to retrieve the dinghy. Fortunately, they were very understanding and thanked me for laying on entertainment while they had their breakfast.

In the meantime, Joseph filled up the water and Janine had found someone from HW to get us a new length of dinghy rope, as the remainder was now too short to use. During the 10 minutes that we waited, Janine also managed to pop over to Lathams. The crew had performed fantastically- even if the helmsman was having a bad morning.

The man from HW fitted the new rope (dinghy ropes were becoming a theme of the holiday) and we were soon on our way again. For the first time, I managed to negotiate the turn out onto the Thurne without boat or dinghy hitting the quay. This made me feel better, as did the strengthening sun and increasing temperature.

The miles passed and we were now turning onto the Ant. It felt as if we had just changed down a few gears on life’s highway as we wound our way upriver in now glorious sunlight. We approached Ludham Bridge and (thankfully) had a clear run through. The river was busy, but most of the traffic seemed to be coming the other way.

We reached How Hill at just gone midday. Most of the moorings were empty, but on approaching the tea rooms it seemed as if a lot of people from the local area had chosen to visit. After eating some very nice sandwiches purchased there outside, we went into the woods. The boys spent a couple of hours running off their pent-up energy from yesterday before we returned to what was now a very warm boat.

With the canopy and screens down we set off towards Barton Broad with our objective being to find a wild mooring. Joseph in particular seemed keen on the idea of us mooring up on our own, so he stood on the deck beside the helm to help choose a spot.

We saw a couple of potential locations which were rejected for not having enough tree cover. As Barton Broad came into view we were preparing to cross when Joseph spotted an unoccupied curve in the river bank on the left just before it opened out into the broad. Upon inspection it was deemed safe to moor and few minutes later we were tied up there, our stern rope round a tree trunk and our bow rope secured with a rond anchor.

It was a fantastic spot, with ample tree cover but also the wide expanse of Barton Broad in view. There were a few paths into the trees on the bank, which the boys went off to explore. Sitting on the roof, we watched the passing river traffic and felt inspired to open a bottle of cider after seeing the occupants of one craft drinking wine on deck. The kids then had their tea while I ran the engine for a bit to make up the necessary hours before it would have impinged on the quietness of the evening.

At 6 o’clock, Janine and Matthew settled down to play some board games , while Joseph and I prepared for another dinghy excursion. We rowed out onto Barton Broad with the wind at our backs, keeping just outside the navigation channel to the right of the green posts.

At the third post we turned around and began the struggle back into the wind. It was good fun trying to edge the dinghy forward against the elements and we had a breather after we had progressed to the shelter of the river again. We then went downriver to ogle the houses at Irstead before returning with the aid of the wind.

Janine and I had Pasta Arabbiata in the open wheelhouse before we closed the roof at 2000 and Matthew chose a DVD to watch. Enthused by the isolation of our mooring, Joseph joined Janine and I out on the roof watching the bevy of swans that seemed to rule this section of the Ant. Janine went in feeling the cold at nine, but Joseph stayed out with me to enjoy one of those evenings at a wild mooring on the Ant that stay with you forever.

As the light drained from the sky, a colony of bats came out and began to swoop in the air above the boat. It was getting colder now, but we were enjoying ourselves so much that we stayed put and were rewarded with the sight of the stars emerging above the trees. We finally came in at quarter to ten as a tired Joseph needed his bed, following his brother who had turned in half an hour earlier.

Janine and I then had a cup of tea in the wheelhouse with the lights off. There was just enough light in the sky and reflecting off the river for us to see what we were doing and the stars were now more pronounced. A detailed plan for the next day had yet to be formulated, but one thing was certain- we would be remaining on this glorious river.

• Like 8

I know the very wild mooring you describe, have moored there ourselves on several occasions, we have put extra layers on to sit out until 2am on occasions, as you so beautifully  put, nights like that do stay with you forever.

We actually DO need the pictures thank you very much Jaws :roll: lol

Grace

• Like 4

Alan- I'm still getting the error message when I try to upload, so will email you pictures from19th and 20th August shortly. Don't wish to disappoint Grace! Thanks once again!

Thursday 20th August

Having gone out like a light, I did not stir again until Janine woke me at 7am. The kids were up and breakfast was on the go. The sky was grey but it remained dry as we discussed a rough schedule for the day which would allow us to stay on the Ant. It was due to rain in the morning and improve in the afternoon, so we set out for Stalham at half past eight.

Apart from vessels moored outside the main channels, we were the only boat on Barton Broad. It remained quiet as we navigated the stretch above the Broad and then entered Stalham Dyke. Having taken on water, we moored up at Richardsons and then wandered into Stalham as it began to rain.

After buying some doughnuts to eat later, we wandered back towards the Staithe and called in at the Museum of the Broads. We spent a pleasant 90 minutes in there with the boys particularly enjoying the touch screens and the boats on view. My highlights were looking through some of the old boating brochures on display and seeing the Boat Bar from the Maltsters again.

When we came out the weather had brightened considerably and the sun was starting to come through again. We now had suitable conditions to begin a tour of the rest of the Ant. We began by taking the short-cut to Sutton Broad and cruising along to the Staithe before turning around.

We then headed up in the direction of Wayford Bridge. After taking in the views of Hunsett Mill and the “interestingly” renovated cottage, we went up to just before the Bridge before turning around and retracing our steps. It was now nearly 1300 and although the crew were enjoying the sights they were hungry.

As I came off the main river and approached Paddy’s Lane I spied a gap between two private boats which was just big enough for Magical Light to fit into. As we moored, I remarked to myself that I would not have attempted to get into this gap a few days previously. After beans on toast we tidied up the boat as the bank we moored on last night had been muddy and Joseph volunteered to mop the decks down.

It was beginning to get seriously warm again as we headed back out onto the river. There was virtually no wind on Barton Broad as we headed across in the direction of Gaye’s Staithe. The Staithe was a hive of activity with lots of kids having fun in dinghies. There were no spaces, but that was of no concern to us as we fancied another wild mooring.

It was still a bit early to moor up for the night, so we went downriver as far as How Hill before turning round again to seek out a mooring. It was noticeably busier than yesterday and the only suitable mooring that we saw before Barton Broad was deemed to be too close to another boat.

After crossing Barton, I spied a familiar looking craft coming the other way- there in all her glory was Broad Ambition. It was strange to see her in the flesh (well, the wood anyway) after reading and seeing so much about her on the forum, but up close she looked fantastic.

She was a good omen for us too! A few minutes after seeing her we spotted an unoccupied patch of grass on the left of the river which was tucked behind a tree. The mooring was similar to last nights in that it involved a mix of tying on to rond anchors and tree trunks. It also had a network of paths in the trees for the boys to explore which, it was soon reported back, was even more extensive. It differed in that there were a few boats on the opposite bank that were in view, but they were a suitable distance away

After taking in our new surroundings for a while, Janine and I made the kids sandwiches for tea and split a bottle of Adnams Broadland Sunrise which we consumed sat on the roof of the front cabin. During this time, we spotted a dragonfly fluttering in the bushes on the bank by the bow of the boat.

Continuing the routine into which we had now fallen, Joseph and I went for a row between 6 and 7. We went about 15 minutes upstream and then downstream twice, just enjoying how quiet the river now was. Janine and I then had our tea before we all decamped out onto the roof to watch tonight’s edition of the River Ant nature show.

Like last night, we had jumping fish and bats. There was more cloud cover, which made it much warmer but reduced our ability to see the stars. Mother Nature compensated for this by laying on an owl that hooted sporadically from a nearby tree. It was nice to see the lights of other boats nearby and the flourescent orange life jackets of some boys fishing quietly on a nearby boat standing out against the darkening scene.

Janine and the boys turned in at 10 o’clock, but I was still warm and enjoying the view so I made a cup of tea and sat drinking it in the aft well in near darkness. With regret, I eventually gave in to tiredness and went to bed, walking away from the glory that is the nocturnal River Ant until the next time we would be on the Broads.

• Like 10

My technical gremlins have abated, so here are pictures from Wednesday and Thursday. Friday's tale to follow a little later.

JOHN- I kept a diary, which I wrote up religiously before going to bed each night to ensure I captured everything.

110.JPG

113.JPG

117.JPG

121.JPG

085.JPG

086.JPG

099.JPG

• Like 8

Friday 21st August

Janine and the boys were up before me today as well- the Ant having clearly induced a state of complete calm within me. This coming evening we would need to moor close to Potter Heigham ready to return the boat the following morning, but I didn’t want to retrace our steps entirely. With this in mind we set out at 0745 with a lunch stop at The Bridge Inn, Acle in mind.

Being close to Richardsons, we decided to call in there for water. However, upon surveying the busy scene that greeted us there we turned around quickly. I had completely forgotten that Friday was a major changeover day, even though on recollection most of the boats we had seen the previous afternoon and evening were Richardsons craft. I really must have been relaxed not to make the connection!

Cruising back down the Ant, it was grey but getting ever warmer. As we crossed Barton Broad for the final time the sun came out, although there was more wind than yesterday. At Ludham Bridge I managed to tag onto the rear of Broadland Wave and follow her through. We were making good time, but still needed water so it was decided to head to South Walsham Broad again.

There was a boat moored at the water hose at Russell’s, but we had a very pleasant ten minutes or so waiting out on the broad. It was nice to sit holding station in the sun, looking at the scenery and making the odd adjustment with the throttle and steering to maintain our position.

With a full water tank again, we headed out onto the Bure and turned right at Thurne mouth to enter what for this holiday was virgin territory. Although not my favourite stretch of Broadland river, the Bure down to Acle does have a certain wild quality that I have always found appealing. This was emphasised by the fact that we were now heading into a strong wind and I had to saw at the wheel to keep the boat straight. Norfolk had also dished up one of its amazing big skies, with high, dark clouds contrasted by brilliant sunlight nearer the horizon.

There were plentiful moorings at Acle so we tied up, closed up the boat and headed for The Bridge Inn. I can now see why it is so popular with families. Joseph is quite often torn between ordering food from the kids and adult menus, so the existence of a separate menu for older children was a boon. My chicken curry was very good, as was the obligatory pint of Wherry that I had it with.

By this stage there was a lack of wine aboard Magical Light. This unacceptable state of affairs was rectified by Janine purchasing a bottle of rose from the bar to take away, whilst I took the boys outside for a spell on the playground.

On the walk back to the boat we had a vote on where we would moor for the night. I was all for trying to get a space at Womack Island again, but I was outvoted three to one in favour of us returning to where we moored the first night. After two tree-sheltered nights on the Ant, my crew wanted to see a big sunset again.

We had an uneventful cruise back up river before we came to the moorings on the left, which were completely vacant. As I drove the last rond anchor into the ground it occurred to me that this was the fifth mooring for which we had used the rubber mallet I had bought and that the average cost per mooring was now less than a pound. I was starting to think in the same way that I do whilst at home again- this was now the endgame.

We set about cleaning and tidying the boat, packing away everything that we would not need for the coming night. Matthew helped sweep out the boat whilst Joseph mopped the decks again- why can’t they be this helpful without coercion at home?

Janine was making the boys tea when I decided to take a few photographs. Whilst searching for the camera it struck me that I last recalled seeing it as I hung it on the back of my chair at The Bridge Inn. A phone number for the pub was retrieved frantically and I had a knot in my stomach as I dialled the number.

Fortunately, the camera had been handed in and The Bridge were willing to hang onto it until the following morning, as I did not want to ruin the last evening by undertaking a mad dash to Acle and back. Crisis over, I opened a bottle of East Anglia Pale Ale poured it into two glasses and took them out onto the front roof to join Janine.

As we sat looking at the views it seemed that there were people having a tipple on every craft that passed us. Seeing that we were drinking, most of them raised a glass in our direction or shouted out “cheers” at us. Unlike the day boat we saw at Ranworth, this was all done responsibly and in a low-key fashion. I was going to miss this.

Just after five o’clock a phalanx of Herbert Woods boats went past, heading up river.  The Friday hirers were on the loose and I was envious of them. Tobago Light was part of this procession, manned by a new crew who had the same look of delight with a hint of apprehension on their faces that I had six days previously. Magical Light would have different people on board the following day, a thought that made me feel melancholic. I was going to miss the old girl!

After some pasta and pesto, Janine and I headed back out onto the roof with the remains of our bottle of rose to see our last Broadland sunset. The boys had decided to stay in one of the cabins playing on the iPad. We could hardly complain as they had hardly used it all week, but it was another way in which normality was starting to rear its unwelcome head.

We were moored only about 50 yards away from where we had been on the first night, but in addition to St Benets Abbey we were also able to see the towers of Thurne and Ranworth Churches in this location. We were suitably blessed with the finest sunset of the holiday, with the setting sun backlighting a scattering of clouds with a pink hue.

Just as the sun was about to disappear the boys emerged from the cabin. They wanted to come and join us on the roof. It was nearly dark but it would be a shame to come in yet, so they put their life jackets on and came out. We asked them if they would like to stay on a boat again and they both said “yes”. This seemed enough of a reason to open the last remaining alcohol on board- a bottle of Adnams Explorer.

Janine and I were supping our ales when Matthew gave an excited cry. Against the darkening sky were a set of bright lights arranged in a triangular formation, coming slowly towards us. It was the Southern Belle heading downriver on her late night trip. As she came closer we could hear the sounds of people enjoying themselves on board.

The boys waved at the oncoming boat, with the helmsman responding in kind. As the revellers onboard noticed the four of us on deck they waved as well. It was a lovely moment and Matthew in particular was made up by it.

This seemed a good juncture to get the boys to bed, after which we had another cup of tea in the darkened wheelhouse. It had been a lovely evening and the sadness I had felt earlier on had gone- we were so lucky to have had the week we had just experienced.

Janine then went to bed while I checked the ropes and locked up. There was a bright light upriver, which turned out to be a private boat equipped with night lights mooring a few hundred yards ahead of us, an operation they performed commendably quietly. As I drifted off to sleep the last thing I heard was the distant and pleasant sound of rond anchors being tapped into the ground.

122.JPG

123.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

• Like 10