84 footer going through Yarmouth on Friday?

JennyMorgan

I think that comment is a bit harsh, furthermore at least one of the owners I would class as being, well, let us say "comfortable"  and not sudo riche at all. 

That boat has always pushed the limits and why not? 

• Like 4

I've come to the conclusion that between us we could solve all the problems on the broads in one fell swoop, what brilliant ideas forum... A 24 hour radio station... Them were the days, Ross revenge, mi amigo, Veronica, radio London, the fort based stations.. It's what the broads needs..... Now where are my pioneer SL1210's and spot master jingle machines :dance

cheers

Ray

I remember listening to Radio London closing down. The girl I was with has been my wife for forty five years, so it must have been 67ish. I have nearly that many years on the clock now!

Edited by ChrisB
Just thought how long ago it all was.

I remember listening to Radio London closing down. The girl I was with has been my wife for forty five years, so it must have been 67ish. I have nearly that many years on the clock now!

Yep same here, have a great fondness for them days, I even have all the major pirates siggy tunes on my iTouch.... How ironic ! Their are some great YouTube Vids on the pirate era and let's face it it was a lot more fun than how radio 1 has evolved into ....

cheers

Ray

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always have a laugh when Bill Nighy and The Boat That Rocked is shown. As it was last night.

Reviews are alway terrible! Written by those not even born when it was going on!

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 2

I always have a laugh when Bill Nighy and The Boat That Rocked is shown. As it was last night.

Reviews are alway terrible! Written by those not even born when it was going on!

Indeed, what was that film about, bore no resemblance to what I used to listen to, tho they did go for authenticity as far as the studio equipment was concerned, most of it was borrowed from various collectors and or as I believe Radio Caroline's "Museum" if that's the right term and much of it was totally refurbished for the film as it wasn't in such good condition, the film was watchable mainly for the back story for me, and that was the era and seeing all that equipment I used play with (I had some spotmaster jingle machines and carts)

I understand the TX for the real ship came from an American Bible belt AM radio station that used to pump out religious content and went bust...

Getting a bit dusty in here....

cheers

Ray

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Whilst I appreciate that Raisina went to Lowestoft by sea in order to collect her mast I doubt very much that the owners are anything other than Broads sailors and yes, probably members of the cruiser fleet elite. Raisina is peculiarly a Broads boat & the owners are to be congratulated for pumping very serious money into the class. Whether a vintage boat should remain as she was built rather than be allowed to develop as modern materials become available is altogether another issue & I suspect most regulars will guess which side of the fence I would sit on but that is not the issue. I suspect that Labrador knows full well the identity of the forum member that is involved with Raisina & I suggest that his comment is both uncalled for disrespectful to a fellow forum member.

• Like 10

I have thick skin  so don't mind uninformed negative comments, there are 6 of us who own her and we have a great time on her, she has always (since the 1980s been upgraded altered and improved and due to the insurance on the (non original aluminium) mast which broke we found ourselves a new wind range with the bigger mast and sails. 

She was not designed to race but not many of the older ones were. 

we did not take her to Barton and will do the Yare Navigation race next.

• Like 5

Clive, you didn't deserve those uninformed & negative comments that, regretfully, departed from the original intent of this thread. By the way, you didn't leave the red masthead light on & there are regular helicopter flights landing at the nearby Ivy Farm Hotel ;)

• Like 3

I appologise Clive, it must be my age! I thought it was Raisena that capsized in Wroxham Broad a few years ago.

I remember one of the crew or owners was an ex diver and quickly got a couple of strops under the vessel in question and one of the wherries winch was used to help raise her.

As I say memory not what it was, sorry about that.

• Like 1

Ignore them Clive they are clearly just jealous that yours is the biggest.

I've never seen this boat though and it is fascinating. What's her story? I understand sailing on the broads is hard because of the tree line so the broads boats do normally have a larger masts to get above the tree line. But surely then having a large sail area like that when you get in a clearing she would surely be blown down. (I do see you last reefing point there is quite a reduction so i guess you use that quite a bit). What is she like to sail though is she stable enough? 

the photo of the mast in the cloud is not real, is it?  it may be worth getting a red flashing light for a laugh! 

I just hope that no one finds out that the carbon mast going on Ladybird is cheaper than a wooden one and smaller than a previous one!

Here is some history on Raisena..

http://www.greenwyvern.org.uk/rcc/rccmain.php?sailno=3

call it progress or evolution, . 

• Like 4

I suspect that to replicate Ladybird's original wood mast, which I suspect was hollow, would cost a small fortune! 

Personally I'd call it evolution but I do regret that good cruising boats are becoming 'racing machines' and uncruisable, if there is such a word. 

Raisena was built as a cruising boat, much the same as  most of the fleet hence the name 'River cruiser class' 

Ladybird was built specifically to race but had  to adhere to the class rules, in the same way as my lady (evening flight) and more recently Storm, Starlight lady, Meggie, Lyra etc, 

The mast off Ladybird we broke was built by Lowestoft college for Evening flight but rejected, after a bit of work and a lot of wires put on, the previous owners of ladybird had a good few years of use out of it, the mast they originally had on was a very heavy one which was on Moonraker, Moon raker had upgraded to a aluminium mast, at one time Ladybird also had the rig off Crossbow which  was torn down after getting caught on a marker post.. 

I am sure that if Mr Woods had still been about he would have done much the same if he had still owned these old fashioned wooden things!

• Like 1

The Broads answer to the Shard! So high that it has a red light on the top as a warning to low flying aircraft! Oulton Broad this evening had clouds at about eighty feet. 

P8270109.jpg

It's a shame that the river cruiser class has been bastardised by the sudo-rich to pretend they are in the offshore racing elite. 

Personally I think she looks rather nice!   

• Like 3

Clive, you didn't deserve those uninformed & negative comments that, regretfully, departed from the original intent of this thread. By the way, you didn't leave the red masthead light on & there are regular helicopter flights landing at the nearby Ivy Farm Hotel ;)

Two points, Peter:

I  totally agree with your first nine words in your first sentence but we are both frequently guilty of the last ten!

• Like 1

A large proportion of RR Merlins and a few Griffons were I believe machined and assembled by Ford Motor Co at their Trafford Park factory in Manchester. They also turned out a fair number of Willys Jeeps at the same plant. In fact I am not sure as to the fact that Ford might have made more than RR.

Edited by ChrisB
it is a Griffon engine