Ban on DIY antifouling?

Oddfellow

We have a really sharp bench saw here. Its sharp because its a brand new blade. I have no idea whether we read and understood all the bumff that came with the new blade because we used our common sense when fitting it. I am now sat here awaiting a knock on the barn door from someone with the sole intention of confiscating our saw and saving us from our common sense because we failed to wade through the bumff in the first place. Shall I hide the chisels now? And what about the new pack of stanley knife blades... just how much danger are we currently facing in this barn? The whole place needs shutting down immediately....Talk about systematically bringing a country to its knees! We dont make anything anymore because we are too scared to. And if we do try then some one will soon be along to protect us from from it....

And when my antifoul goes on we will apply some more common sense and take whatever precautions WE deem necessary. just remember you lot, at this rate its my a##e that will be covered in zebra mussels!!!

If we are serious about protecting the broads how about actually enforcing some of the laws already within legislation rather than adding more?

Rant over.... and I dont do ranting....

• Like 8

:bowThe EU should get its beak out of OUR rules!!

We give in to all the daft legislation that the EU comes out with, we need to take back control of our own government. That's what we elect MP's for, not some EU bureaucrats! We lost our cheap Red Diesel, let's dump the EU. When we were asked years ago wether we should join, it was the common market, not the common government of Europe.

Rant over! Sorry

Absolutely no need to apollogise, i think you`ve hit the nail on the head, and i agree with you entirely. All the EU wants to do is to make laws that cost us dearly. 

As a biker, i can remember back in the beginning of the 70s, crash helmets were made compulsory. Before the legislation went through, an average crash helmet cost around £4-5.00 ish, then after legislation, £8-10.00.  I wonder how much the yards will charge us to "professionally" antifoul even the smallest of boat. Let`s just wait and see how much their charges skyrocket, because there is no alternative?. And let`s NOT forget, it`s NOT the cost of the paint that`s the issue, it`s the application, and who`s going to rip us off when they apply it. An open door for greed and profiteering.

• Like 3

What we are talking about here is nothing to do with the Broads is is COSHH. Totally different from machine tools etc where the hazard is plain to see. Without legislative measures to control substances hazardous to health we would still be killing farmers with lethal sheep dip, ingesting carcinogenic insecticide like DDT that also nearly did for our Raptors and spraying Flit around our homes. And machine shops would still be full of the mist of aqueous cutting oil which is about as good for the lung as thirty a day.

• Like 1

blooming eck Chris, don't tell me I shouldn't be using DDT anymore and what good is sheep dip if it aint lethal. What should we use, Wash & Go?

Flit was unbeatable for flies, but even better for chasing granny round the barn pumping the handle like fury. I do wish I'd known about the cutting oil though, would have saved me thousands on woodbines!

:evil:

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

blooming eck Chris, don't tell me I shouldn't be using DDT anymore and what good is sheep dip if it aint lethal. What should we use, Wash & Go?

Flit was unbeatable for flies, but even better for chasing granny round the barn pumping the handle like fury. I do wish I'd known about the cutting oil though, would have saved me thousands on woodbines!

:evil:

love it!

Ultimately the real problem here is that can we actually afford all this protection from COSHH or whatever they called? All we are doing is taking away natural selection. Now we are all so protected we will have no alternative than to grow many more  years older than is ideal and cost the country a fortune in longer term pension payments and dementia care. Bring back machine oil, DDT and tar varnish that actually had tar in it. Them were the days....

• Like 2

The cost of anti fouling my boat in a yard would be more than £400 including liftout etc. It would have to have a very detrimental effect on my fuel economy to be worthwhile carrying out this work. Add this to the advice from my surveyor at purchase time that it was not needed, but of course the yards love to do it for the private owners, and you can draw your own conclusions.

How true,

The reality of displacement cruising at 5mph is it uses sod all fuel anyway. even if you double the consumption, which I would imagine almost impossible at displacement speeds, the amount of extra fuel used over a couple of years would still struggle to pay for the cost of antifouling.

The hire fleets do not antifoul below the boot top line and in the majority of cases its not necessary. The hire boats

are for the best part of the year in constant use and the weed growth on the hull is minimal. With hire boats going constantly from fresh water to sea water when they are in the Yarmouth area the fouling of the hull is further reduced. Hire boats are taken out of the water every year and the hulls are pressure washed to remove any light fouling. It does save the hire fleets from the expense of antifouling. The cost of extra fuel used hardly comes into question. Dave R.......

• Like 1

We keep Friday Girl in Brundall, where the water is brackish at worst and possibly nearly freshwater. Hence we don't bother with antifouling are all.

She gets either a Summer Scrub (calm down, JanetAnne) or, on alternate years, is taken out for a few months to dry out on the hard. We do find a thin coating of slime but this quickly washes off.

I've personally not noticed any degradation in performance as a result of not bothering about water level weed growth, other than to take a brush to her occasionally.

• Like 1

Hi all, what I cannot understand is how this will be implemented. Does it mean that only registered boatyards will be able to buy antifouling? What about the diy-ers who build their own boats, will they then have to take the finished boat somewhere to have it antifouled, just my daft thoughts.