Getting closer...

MostlyAfloat

I'm just sitting here and my 3 furry companions (3 cocker spaniels) know something is amiss... Stuff coming down from the loft they hadn't seen for a while, trips to the vets to get boosters for their upcoming residential stay in doggy towers for a week and general unusual activity like partially packing stuff into suitcases (which one of them insists is a game of hide and seek the sock).

Brundle is calling for this Saturday and frequent checks of the forecast brings smiles one day and "bloody weather" the next.

iI's been a long time coming and whatever happens I intend on having a relaxing time and I'm taking this opportunity to thank all you lot for your help in answering questions and advice given and for such a friendly run forum :wave

I do intend to take some videos and be as creative as possible and upload a short vlog of the week aboard Silver Elegance and to try and capture the essence of a boating holiday, mainly for the family to enjoy and hopefully to share with the community.

Now the question is what video editor to use, I can be quite creative and use audio software to create mixes for my own enjoyment, and it's nice when I get asked "who did that" when we have family bbqs, sooooo over to you guys for suggestions for a possibly free or not too expensive paid for bit of software that you can recommend...

cheers

Ray

• Like 5

Thanks guys, I have that installed, haven't had a look at it yet but it gets reasonable reviews and free is always good if it works!

ill see what I can cobble together, hopefully my nikons movie option will do the job, just going to treat myself a another memory card or two.

Shame I did t get the time to order a burgee to hang somewhere on the boat.

Suspect with all the rain the high tides are a lighter higher than usual. Will that affect the breydon crossing at all?

cheers

Ray

I would doubt any rain would have much of an influence at Yarmouth as it's pretty much 100% tidal there. Although if a low pressure gets stuck in the north sea it may push the tides up a bit but at low water you should be OK. Best bet is to contact the YS there before you do a passage and get the local intel before leaving your mooring :) 

• Like 1

I would doubt any rain would have much of an influence at Yarmouth as it's pretty much 100% tidal there. Although if a low pressure gets stuck in the north sea it may push the tides up a bit but at low water you should be OK. Best bet is to contact the YS there before you do a passage and get the local intel before leaving your mooring :) 

I have to be honest, that was the plan, was going to check the tide tables and then confirm with someone more knowledgeable :bow

have decided that day one (sat) will be be on the south as travel and daylight will be limited, so possibly moor up at rockland broad for the afternoon/evening (the southern side is all new to me) and try and get t'up north on Sunday if that's possible.

cheers

Ray

• Like 1

I have to be honest, that was the plan, was going to check the tide tables and then confirm with someone more knowledgeable :bow

have decided that day one (sat) will be be on the south as travel and daylight will be limited, so possibly moor up at rockland broad for the afternoon/evening (the southern side is all new to me) and try and get t'up north on Sunday if that's possible.

cheers

Ray

That's what i always do - work out my own times and then ring GY! They never seem to mind.. proper nice chaps! 

Thing is - it's supposed to be fun innit? If you have those guys saying "if you leave *insert place* at such a time and you'll be just right" you can just sit back and relax.. and i'm always well chuffed if my calculations are correct!

• Like 1

I get the impression they'd prefer every single holidaymaker to ring and ask about timing - there'd be less "issues"!

cheers

Hi Jane,

A few years ago we went by bus into Norwich so I could have a word with the yacht master at the Yarmouth Yacht Staition, at the time they were operating out a shed rather than the brick building they are now in. The old guy that had seen too many years in the sun, said just come at low water and we would be ok, we came up and worked out that the air daft was at least a foot too low. They are better now but at the end of the day it is down to the skipper to get it right consult the tide tables and do your calculations, if it is marginal that you can not do the journey both ways then potter about on the Northern or Southern Rivers until it safe to go through Yarmouth, Boat with low air drafts should have little problems.

Regards

Alan

If the southern side is new to you then I wouldn't be in any hurry to go north. How long are you afloat for?

The plan is to visit some old haunts and spend a few days up north side and bimble back down for a few days around weds to take in the south side and explore before taking the boat back sat morning so there is no stress about catching the tides, so it's a half and half holiday with some fishing in there somewhere :dance

cheers

Ray

• Like 1

Sounds wonderful, have a great time. 

I'm counting down ... 5 weeks and 5 days until we have just a short midweek break on the north. :)

My favourite places on the south would be Langley Dyke (where hubby likes to fish), the River Chet to Pyes Mill (where hubby likes to fish), the River Waveney on the stretch from Oulton Dyke to Beccles and the River Yare from Brundall to Bramerton Common.

• Like 1

Sounds wonderful, have a great time. 

I'm counting down ... 5 weeks and 5 days until we have just a short midweek break on the north. :)

My favourite places on the south would be Langley Dyke (where hubby likes to fish), the River Chet to Pyes Mill (where hubby likes to fish), the River Waveney on the stretch from Oulton Dyke to Beccles and the River Yare from Brundall to Bramerton Common.

I'm seeing a pattern in their Jean..... :rolleyes: I'll certainly give this a look.

cheers

Ray