Accident on the lower Bure

Matt

I am with MM on this one. I think the sequence of events might be the other way round ie injury after boat hits something.

In any other circumstances where personal injury involving a method of transport necessitates the attendance of three emergency services and a hospitalised casualty there would be an investigation. But who will ever know. They must have left the helm with the craft tramping along! Does anyone do that?

Looks like a point loading impact, like a metal post or pile.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

Ok, we (Ian) agree this has been the worst September weather we have had since we have been boating. Today we came under Ludham bridge, but the height signage are wrong, as they were showing just under 8ft. We moored up south side of the bridge and asked the guys at the boat yard regarding the bridge height. He told us the signs were wrong, as other boats had been hitting them and put them off level. Also meeting the guys off of Braveheart. Ludham as of today just under 8ft showing is around 8ft6ins for going under. I hope this will help others on the river. Regarding Marina & Ian

• Like 2

As I would be the last person to suggest that it might just be possible, that should a vessel try to go between a "shallow water" marker post and the bank and should the shallow bank be such that it forced that vessel onto the afore said post, the resultant damage could, in certain eyes, not be entirely dissimilar from that which the photograph illustrates, I shall refrain from making any comment on the subject!

I didnt hear about that one, I just dont understand how damage like this can be called an accident.  How does this happen without a fair bit of negligence thrown in for good measure?! 

I cant think how I could accidently do this kind of damage unless I actually hit another moving boat, hopefully I dont ever have to find out! 

I showed Shiela this photo yesterday lunchtime – and then she came up with something very clever I had not thought about.

We don’t know what actually happened and we don’t know how bad the person who hit their head was hurt we just have a single picture of the boat after whatever happened had happened.

This information is what the boatyard have too – and they too will speculate like we are on this forum about what happened and how, but crucially as Shiela said to me, if the boatyard take matters further to try and recover any money off the hirers it all becomes harder if the facts are someone was injured prior to the boat being damaged – it removes a lot of ‘blame’ if you will and makes fighting things out that much harder to prove. 

You know that damage was done to the boat and you could well prove that it was caused by hitting something (to my mind a steel sided bank or a navigation post on lower Bure) but could you prove it was caused by negligence or a sudden panic onboard caused by a crew member being injured by something else (like slipping over and hitting their head). If that was the case then you could well excuse someone for panicking, rushing to the others aid and in the heat of the moment forgetting the boat was still in gear travelling along and a fair lick of speed. 

Suffice to say, it won’t be long before this boat is repaired and back on the rivers with many of us nosey Broadies trying to see the repair ;)

Although this is a good to discuss issue, I still feel we should hold council till more information becomes available. Someone was injured, that in itself is bad enough. Boats can, and will be repaired.

Just like the boatyard rumours, till we have the facts.......

cheersIain.

• Like 2

I suspect the facts will never be known unless there are other witnesses who come forward. What I will say is that the tides had been backed up all week with the high and low tides being much higher than normal with little water flowing out the system. I don't see how any boat could do that much damage drifting with the tide after running aground. The water levels came up Tuesday and pretty much stayed higher till Sunday.

I thought I'd done the smart thing and headed straight up to Coltishall Sunday week ago to avoid the madness of the bank holiday and the flappy things on Barton Broad. The intention was to do the Ant later in the week. By the time we tried to get back through Wroxham bridge we were well and truly stuck. I ended up using the boat as a floating base and doing days out from Wroxham. Andy was very understanding of my overstaying on the moorings. cheersbar

Eventually Saturday lunchtime it was a case of try and go for it or pack up and go home leaving the boat stuck the other side. With some suitable protection and a very slow passage we managed to squeeze through the bridge with millimetres to spare. I never imagined my boat could make it through Wroxham at that clearance. :shocked:party2::party: