Accident on the lower Bure

Matt

I am so used to being pre-judged it has for me, become a way of life.

"The dog ate my homework" (from years ago) to  " I've only had a couple of pints.",  have always been greeted with sceptisism and suspicion, frequently correctly.

The report/tweet from the coastguard will have been as the 'victims' reported it, it is not for the coastguard to argue points. However, there needs to be little in the way of reading between the lines before doubt creeps in to any normal thinking.

Trial by forum is not often to be encouraged but equally it is rarely avoided. This is one such case.

How often do we witness someone playing silly whatsits and think..."That's an accident waiting to happen."? Perhaps more telling, how often do we hear of someone who played silly whatsits and came to some level of grief throwing his hands in the air and immediately admitting his shortcommings?

• Like 2

As in everything we all have an opinion, that is human nature, we will all try and analyse the information at hand and come up with an opinion, right or wrong.

I try to bear in mind the consequences of voicing my opinion before I do so, and where that opinion might upset or injure someone I try and show restraint from voicing it.

I am also of the opinion that if you see something dangerous happening you should endeavour to stop it or warn others of the hazard, in the hope that if the situation were reversed someone would warn me.

Sometimes even this can cause the recipient of the advice to get upset, so its not always a great outcome, but if we all do everything showing a little respect to everyone else I think the world would be a better place.

As for the above, well I wish the injured party a swift recovery, and hope that the boatyard can facilitate repairs in a timely fashion, and hope that the remainder of the discussion leads just one person who previously might not, to remember to stop safely before attending an injured person, as a car driver would, rather than just abandon control of the vehicle to chance, after all worse injuries could have happened to the helmsperson in the impact, and then the first injured party would not have been attended to immediately. first rule of first aid - secure the scene and make it safe to treat the injured party.

A couple of months back my wife and I were driving when an old chap tripped and landed in the middle of the road, my first reaction was to park the car across the carriageway, while the wife got out and helped him up and checked he was ok. the cars trying to turn into the junction I had blocked got most upset with me, but then they couldn't see the old gent in the road the other side of the car. fortunately the only injury the old chap suffered was his bottle of beer in his shopping bag got broken.

Grendel

• Like 2