OUR HOLIDAY IN LINCOLNSHIRE

SPEEDTRIPLE

2 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

"Lincolnshire is a county of two halves. If you stay in the south, it`s flatter than Broadland, with some very bleak out of the way places, but if you venture North, the hills and valleys are a pleasure to drive round. We enjoyed it so much, we`ve just booked a return at the beginning of May next year"

Well it's the beginning of May on Sunday, Neil and we're on our way to Osgodby tomorrow!   ice slice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We got back this afternoon, and have to say, i`ve caught the Lincolnshire bug.  It`s a stunning county, with so much scenery, and so much to see, especially if you`re interested in RAF history. The bookshop / cafe / gift shop in Woodhall Spa is amazing with some excellent books regarding Bomber command.  I`ve now got another book in my collection of Airfields of xxxxxxxxx county of the second world war, not to mention an excellent book on the pilot of "M Mother", aka "Hoppy Hopgood". 

We did go to Lincoln, but after doing the Cathedral, and Castle wall walk, my knackered right ankle was killing me, so it was back to the car, and back to the cottage.  We drove around central Lincolnshire, and had stunning weather to match the stunning scenery.  I thought Norfolk had big slies, but Lincolnshire is definitely equal to it.

I have to say, in my opinion, Lincolnshire is very much "undiscovered" as a holiday destination, is a destination not to be missed.

And YES, we WILL be going back AGAIN, though possibly not for another couple of years, as we wish to go elswhere next year.

• Like 5

Thanks for that ,were in Nrth Norfolk and went to Lincoln Christmas Market ,so did not see much of the rest,having normally passed through and not stopped ,will make a point of stopping there next time we venture up north.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Boaters said:

Thanks for that ,were in Nrth Norfolk and went to Lincoln Christmas Market ,so did not see much of the rest,having normally passed through and not stopped ,will make a point of stopping there next time we venture up north.

It`s well worth it, and there`s the River Witham, and Fossdyke Canal if you want to look at boats, possibly with a few escapee`s from the Broads too.  I felt like i was being a bit selfish at times, as i wanted to drive around and visit some of the old airfields, and look at some of the airfield museums and memorials. Unfortunately, my in-laws are`nt as young and fit as they used to be, so often, by early afternoon, they wanted to go back to the cottage. However, i have told Karen, next time we go back, we`ll be on our own, and be out earlier in the morning and will travel around for more hours of the day.

For anybody who`s interested in a great place to stay, check out www.greethamretreat.co.uk

They have 5 self catering units, as well as 5 caravan pitches.

• Like 1

Detoured to Lincoln on the way back from the Broads one time and had a look round the cathedral (before the time of having to pay) I'm with Iain on this one about paying to go into a church, I'm happy to give a donation if I want to but being charged to go in is wrong.

It's a lovely city and one we always say we wouldn't mind going back to.

• Like 3