Local Lifeboat launched at Martham

HemsbyPie

Great news, also nice to know, no matter where you are on the system, there are ways of getting help to you.

We moor quite often at Deep Go Dyke, and water access is the only way to get there.

It does flag up two important safety points, 

1 The availability of a fully charged mobile phone with coverage.

2 Knowing your exact location.

Most GPS units, and GPS Apps have a grid reference showing your exact position within the APP...  If you don't know how to find it, practice now.

Well done to the emergency services and the volunteers, you never know when you might need them.

• Like 2

Great news, also nice to know, no matter where you are on the system, there are ways of getting help to you.

We moor quite often at Deep Go Dyke, and water access is the only way to get there.

It does flag up two important safety points, 

1 The availability of a fully charged mobile phone with coverage.

2 Knowing your exact location.

Most GPS units, and GPS Apps have a grid reference showing your exact position within the APP...  If you don't know how to find it, practice now.

Well done to the emergency services and the volunteers, you never know when you might need them.

the guy was quite lucky in that Martham is the closest launch point from our station, and Cess Road to Hickling is one of our main training grounds so the crew knew exactly where he would be... The job went like clockwork by all accounts!

I have tried the mobile Apps on my phone and not found them to be brilliant, but the broads OS map is available from Tescos for £7 or eNay for about £4... 

As one who has supported the RNLI all my adult life, its great to read news of a RNLI station, especially with happy ending news! I personally know the ex Cox of the Troon Lifeboat, and have been out on the boat on open days. Please give generously to these brave lads and lassies when you can.

cheersIain.

• Like 2

As one who has supported the RNLI all my adult life, its great to read news of a RNLI station, especially with happy ending news! I personally know the ex Cox of the Troon Lifeboat, and have been out on the boat on open days. Please give generously to these brave lads and lassies when you can.

cheersIain.

RNLI do indeed do a massively great job.

Hemsby Lifeboat however is an independent service, not part of the RNLI (or government funded). The crew and fundraisers raise all of their own cash to buy their equipment and to run the service.

• Like 3

A rescue service be it independent or the RNLI depend heavily on public donations without out that pound here or there placed into a collection tin or an internet donation they can not provide the excellent services that they offer.

Ash if you can let us have details where forum members can donate it would be appreciated.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

A rescue service be it independent or the RNLI depend heavily on public donations without out that pound here or there placed into a collection tin or an internet donation they can not provide the excellent services that they offer.

Ash if you can let us have details where forum members can donate it would be appreciated.

Regards

Alan 

I found this http://hemsbyinshorerescue.org.uk/how-can-i-help.html#donate 

A rescue service be it independent or the RNLI depend heavily on public donations

RNLI are very heavily dependent on donations (not sure totally how they work)

We rely 100% on donations - our new vehicle and lifeboat cost £53k last year (custom build) not including equipment, or the defrib.

• Like 1