Your Ultimate Boat...Here is mine

LondonRascal

Paul, I do believe in my dream all the bridges automatically lift open now when you are within 100yds of them and they have automated boat hold off systems so I get right of way all the time. I can sell you a share in it if you want?

I like the world where the sun always shines, but i think the dream is turning into a nightmare now - Mankini?:eek:

I thought this may spark some debate which is all good.  I am sure some might think I am talking twoddle since I have not embarked on such a thing and have no idea what can happen and the problems that will crop up, but these are just hurdles you encounter and have to get over not permanent barriers.

So there is one of these boats up for sale for just under £35,000 after much reducing from close to £50,000 originally, and it still won’t sell! It needs a great deal of work doing and few would want such a large boat and associated mooring fees, this makes these boats rather attractive to haggle over initial price to begin but you’ve got to be committed to the next steps.

Why a large engine?  Simply so it had the power to shrug off any tidal situation it may come across and for the fact if it was to not always be kept on the Broads it would not find itself underpowered elsewhere.  The thrusters would be electric, but not from any of the usual suppliers Side power/Vetus etc but an American company called Wesmar based in Florida. They are controllable from 0% - 100% speed and are only limited with un times to the power they are given rather than with others having to run for short bursts for risk of overheating.  This means extended use or remote off boat operation when you are mooring and need the boat held to the quay is then easily possible. 

It would cost very little to ‘deconstruct’ the boat because this is easy to rip out fittings, old head linings, wood etc and once that is done you would be into the task of fitting things like insulation, painting etc. As to a lot of the wood and materials I’m sorry I’d not be supporting local industry here but having these shipping in large enough quantities to save money and then sell on the unused sheets of plywood to boatyards who may require them.  I like some of the new sealed surface ply you can get these days, ultra high gloss with various wood used or bold solid colours – commonly used in bathroom and kitchen applications they are moisture proof and easy to keep clean and UV stabilised so will not fade – they also look to my mind pretty cool.

Getting large sheets of cardboard would mean templates can be made of each part of wood that needs to be cut with then cut this yourself, or only pay the time it takes a professional to cut the wood from the templates – this a method a Danish sailor has used for much of his re-fit test fitting with cardboard or thick plastic sheeting where one needs to ‘see thru’ and mark up prior to cutting. 

Things like the galley can be made from modular units that can all be pre-cut and flat packed ready for fitting through the likes of IKEA’s kitchen design service – a really nice look, without a huge expense knowing it will fit (as long as your measurements are right) come to fitting. 

One thing I like the idea of on many a boat, is doing away with the traditional hob and instead having something a bit nicer with a high output burner. They come with a thick glass base which is backed with a choice of colours even sparkles if you desire, and under £200.00 works on LPG and has the requisite flame failure safety devices.

hob.thumb.jpg.306f844a9696eec75a1b5eee7f

• Like 1

Norfolk Smuggler or Cornish Crabber 26.  But my pension will not run to either.

Like Peter (JM) says three or four years ago I could have had my pick. Now I have to have standing headroom so all those sail boats like the Crabber 22, Cape Cutter, Shrimper 19 & 21 are non starters.

Edited by ChrisB

My ideal boat would be an Aquafibre Lowliner 44 fitted for 4, with seperate en-suite toilet and shower rooms. It would have at least double the regular amount of wardrobes and drawers etc, as i always find hire boats lacking in this department. An island bed in each cabin, and a very large cockpit locker on the upper steering to store fenders and ropes etc, so they`re not cluttering up the decks etc.

Oh yes, i nearly forgot, it would have the AQF LL GRP hull and coachroof, but varnished mahogony cabin sides too.

My Hampton has swade type lining on all walls in the cockpit area plus carpet type material on the rest plus tile in galley and toilet areas and has a full new dashboard along with 3 separate forms of heating and is fully insulated including a wrapped fuel tank and also full LED lighting along with many more features so I am happy with what I have got but I also have one or two more features to look at so as to improve comfort.

Yes the one for sale with NBS one has been for sale for some time previously with another broker too - really unsure why a fake radar arch was needed and extra screens on the top of the roof, but its probably a good bet having not been in a hire fleet for a number of years the structure will have been spared extra knocks and the like.

Goodness knows when it was fitted out why carpet was used around the back of, and down the side of sink units but all this is cosmetic and can be changed, if and when it sells be interested to see what the price falls to and if Steve Truss surveys her what the underwater profile of the hull is actually like. 

Its a big bugger underneath, i had a look at it one day in the shed hauled out on the marine railway.  I know its been well looked after since coming off the hire fleet, it was the only one Mr Sabberton held on to and didnt initially lease to another operator or eventually sell on.  He kept hold of it for his own use.  Ive not seen him for a few years now but I imagine it would be quite a good buy, granted there are some improvements that could be made but im not sure there are many people who would take on a boat that size and want to give it an indepth cosmetic overhaul, one reason being it would be unlikely the money required to do it would ever be realised in a future sale price. 

Ive never been a fan of the carpeted bulkheads either, i suppose they did it in those days due to the stuff being so hard wearing, its not as cheap as you would think either! 

For me it's simple really, a 48ft Centre Cockpit with three en-suite cabins (one with sit down bath), small spare cabin (ok large) for shoe storage and most definitely a wine rack in the galley area. The big aft cabin (which would be mine) with island bed and patio doors leading onto a large deck for wine consumption and fishing. Would tow a flamping type boat to get under Potter and spend some nights on Hickling Broad. Not too much to ask is it lol? Ok, failing that any one of Ricko's Fleet will do :naughty:

Grace

With armored sides, to protect from bowsprits?

• Like 2

There is of course the 50 foot 'bath tubs' that Alphacraft built that take stern mooring from the front of a boat to new levels! With regard to the Hob not having pan clamps - how many hobs on boats have these?  I just gave this as an example of the many many gas hobs that one can get that have the require safety features for the gas supply but look nice.

In my 'ultimate boat' there would be no gas and an electric induction hob would be used.

• Like 1

With regard to the Hob not having pan clamps - how many hobs on boats have these?

I think that the issue is that the burners are raised, rather than inset as on most boats so you don't even have a flat cooking surface. I wouldn't reccomment raised burners in a boat, a caravan or even a house, you only have to knock a pan handle slightly and the pan slips off so easily. If that pan is full of boiling water, or worse fat or sugar syrups you have a real disaster on your hands. IMHO it's one of those things that should be outlawed by the H&S brigade, but then it might seem to mundane for them.

Maybe it's just me but having spent most of my life on the Broads both on boats or working when we bought our boat I had some simple requirements - access all the broads, a fridge, heating, hot and cold running water, a shower, a Diesel engine and a large cockpit. We found all of those and to me that's my ultimate for the Broads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Dream on Robin and keep doing the lottery. When you hit the jackpot, then you can give up the day job in London. Buy a lovely waterside residence with its own private mooring and 60 foot covered boat shed and have your dream boat built for you by experts, under your supervision. About £5 million  should see you comfortable for the rest of your life.

MY DREAM! Well I am a bit too old now, to do what you would like, but I think a nice waterside property somewhere on the broads would suit me, with its own mooring, boat shed and triple garage for my Ferrari Tetra Rossi, E Type Jag and maybe an Aston Martin DB5. Plus a nice modern boat, big enough for Wendy and I. Might need at least £20 million for that lot, but isn't it nice to dream.

• Like 2

For me it's simple really, a 48ft Centre Cockpit with three en-suite cabins (one with sit down bath), small spare cabin (ok large) for shoe storage and most definitely a wine rack in the galley area. The big aft cabin (which would be mine) with island bed and patio doors leading onto a large deck for wine consumption and fishing. Would tow a flamping type boat to get under Potter and spend some nights on Hickling Broad. Not too much to ask is it lol? Ok, failing that any one of Ricko's Fleet will do :naughty:

Grace

You disappoint me Grace, I thought you might have at least opted for a full length lie down bath with jacuzzi?

• Like 2

Now that's a good idea Geoff, do you remember the advert with the lady in the bath eating a yoghurt and the Fireman making the bath water froth up with bubbles, well, scrap the Yoghurt and that could work on a Boat I reckon lol :naughty:

Grace

Two ways for him to that Grace idea one ******@@@@@@@******* not printable grinssss idea two give him his compressed air hose to use while you lay back

Charlie

• Like 1

Dream on Robin and keep doing the lottery. When you hit the jackpot, then you can give up the day job in London. Buy a lovely waterside residence with its own private mooring and 60 foot covered boat shed and have your dream boat built for you by experts, under your supervision. About £5 million  should see you comfortable for the rest of your life.

MY DREAM! Well I am a bit too old now, to do what you would like, but I think a nice waterside property somewhere on the broads would suit me, with its own mooring, boat shed and triple garage for my Ferrari Tetra Rossi, E Type Jag and maybe an Aston Martin DB5. Plus a nice modern boat, big enough for Wendy and I. Might need at least £20 million for that lot, but isn't it nice to dream.

Trouble with cars like that Near the broads, is you drive round a corner and be run over by a tractor that can't see you behind the Verge bank.