Diesel price rise to hit the Broads?

JennyMorgan

I'm unsure of the exact dates but at this point in time, or one just around the corner, I believe that it is no longer permissible to manufacture, or even sell new two strokes, especially 25 to 1 ones! 

But you can still use old ones (Mines a Silver century Plus modified to 25 to 1).

If you get the smoke for my Land Rover in your lungs I hope you like Chips!!!.....

it spends most of the time running on vegetable oil..

Forecourt diesel is now cheaper than petrol, so I heard on the radio due to Saudi introducing two new refinery's where before they were happy just to sell crude.

Not sure but guessing they are not going all the way to petrol or surely it would have just reduced all the prices?

Apparently there is now a world surplus of diesel so at least for the foreseeable prices should stay low, somewhere along the line someone is making lots of profit too as according to the experts the price should be at least 10% lower at the pumps. 

Re the diesel scandal:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/vw-shares-dive-15bn-after-revelations-of-faked-emissions-data-in-us-10511670.html

Suggest that this could result in a tightening up on emissions in Europe that could hit inland waterways. I suspect that most marine engines started off life as lorry or bus engines. I am no engineer but I can see this one running and then running some more.

John, they can be converted to 25 to 1:

http://www.seagullparts.co.uk/tips.html#fuelcon.

10 t0 1, so long ago that I forgot! Wish I'd kept mine now. quirky but reliable and I could service it blindfolded!! Well, bit of a lie is that but it was an absolute doddle to work on. 

Mine fell off in Lowestoft harbour mny years ago. When I'd recovered it I hung it upside down for a few days and then off it went again!

But the noise, oh Dear!   :shocked

Hi TheQ, You mentioned a few posts back that you run youir landy on chip oil. I run both my landy and Nyx (my Elysian Bounty) on home made Bio. Maybe you got a whiff of it when I passed you when you were marshalling the Horning sailie races.

Edited by MauriceMynah
typo

Bait Runner ; Depends on what emissions  are being measured in the relevant test  and in this case its the NOx which  Europe has been less stringent in enforcing  whilst concentrating on CO2.  hence the "Drive for Diesel"  and the issues that are now coming to light.  

With the US however its been more of a case of the other way around,  they have concentrated  more on reducing NOx  as a clearly defined health hazard today - especially in the Metropolitan areas, but  are not so stringent on CO2 which they see as a hazard "tomorrow" and is why they buy far fewer diesels than Europe whereas we have been incentivised to buy them - your  earlier post re the 3 litre diesel and road tax refers.            

Mark - agree. The incentive in the UK is you spend less on fuel with a diesel and on road tax in my case which is mad (and I don't think it's right despite benefiting from it). Whenever we replace our car I work out whether petrol or diesel engines work out cheaper for us looking at all the purchase and running costs and so far diesel comes way ahead of petrol - even with the higher purchase price. And before diesel was cheaper than petrol. Euro 6 engines are getting there though. Maybe not quick enough or far enough for some people though.

There is no incentive in the US though with petrol still being relatively cheap and their love of big lumps!! maybe that's a good thing in some bizarre way.

I am sure that other manufacturers are still doing the same as VW though, whether it be petrol or diesel engines.

When my wife and I bought our new car we asked about the diesel alternative.  We were advised to go for the petrol engine, which we did. Mark, I agree, someone surely knows something, perhaps quite a lot, and that is worrying. It all begs the question as to why European companies, both fuel refiners and engine manufacturers, are so keen on the diesel alternative. Boats in the US are largely petrol, boats in the UK are largely diesel, but for how much longer? 

Peter, a cynic might  say its the European environmental lobby with a far higher political profile to effect change (for CO2) than the equivalent in the US ?  Whatever, if its proved or suspected  that policy makers in Europe have designed limits  and rules which the manufacturers can then subsequently easily by pass at a lower cost to them,  then a conspiracy theorist might conclude that they have worked together  to reduce the CO2 levels from vehicles and  achieve a political goal, but at the expense of creating  excessive other harmful emissions by having to push diesel instead as the replacement.

Your question is very salient in that most business is represented  in Govts  so the same people are lobbying for their own interests.   

But getting back to a Broads theme perhaps electric might now get more attention or.... perish the thought and  as you have already said... sail  !  :-)

Mark, as you say, sail is the diesel future. 

See even those who dont have to worry about fuel bills seem to have taken the hint. With a bit of a hybrid engine as well - and for those woodies, it even has teak decking!! What more could you ask for?

Mind you as he owns a coal production company he could have used coal fired engines or even gone all electric and charged it via his electricity production company with a very long cable!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3243137/The-world-s-LARGEST-super-yacht-revealed-Russian-billionaire-s-260m-mega-yacht-300ft-high-eight-floors-underwater-observation-room.html

Bet it doesn't have 2 mud weights though!

Sounds very expensive, especially as Goodchilds are normally fairly competitive. Maybe there has been a price increase in the last 4 weeks on the Broads.

How much were you taking? if a lot it may have been worth locking through and going to RNSYC, on 1000 litres that would be close to £200 difference to what I paid a few weeks ago.