Going under Wroxham Bridge

fishtone

11 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Your forgot Furlongs there my friend

22chains = 1 Furlong

No I didn't they didn't use furlongs on the railways!!

and it's 100 links in a chain, 22 Yards in a chain, 10 CHAINS IN A FURLONG, 8 furlongs in a mile,

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Viking23 said:

How can you have two decimal points in a length measurement?

Mind you over 20 years ago, a Birmingham flight,  the copilot of an aircraft was sucked out of the window because the window blew out, due to a mismatch of using the incorrect nut on some fixing bolts. Luckily the copilot was saved by other crew members dragging him back into the cockpit.

If you go back to imperial measurements, you had bolts that were measured simply by the spanner size, eg 3/8 " AF  you also had Whitworth, coarse and fine, UNC still used in America, and of course BA fixings, like 0BA 2BA .....  6BA etc These were common place in Lucas distributors of the 60's and 70's petrol engines and fixed the points in.

Then you have pipe measurements, they still use BSP measurements, 1/2" BSP,    3/4" BSP etc even then,  some are even tapered.

Some oil filler plugs on some Japanese gear boxes are BSP....

No wonder we get confused.

I don't get confused, I have an imperial and a metric adjustable spanner that I use lol....

Ha ha, if you read my post again, you might notice the second decimal point is actually a full stop, and the number 19 after it is the start of another sentence. :dance

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matt said:

I have been through Wroxham on Thunder  at 7 foot. I would not be rushing to go through at 6ft 10!

Although it is Thunder's Nav lights that look the most "vulnerable"! So yours might be fitted somewhere else.

I will be carrying out Thunders measurements "Griff style" at Easter so it will be interesting to see what I come back with.

For a minute there Matt, i thought you meant you were going to take Thunder through Wroxham bridge BACKWARDS.

Seriously though, our nav lights are on top of a removeable short mast, though we`re in the process of moving them down to the side of the cabin, or so i believe.

41 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Ha ha, if you read my post again, you might notice the second decimal point is actually a full stop, and the number 19 after it is the start of another sentence. :dance

Ahhh I see... I was so intrigued by this so I googled it, it seems that putting a full stop after numbers has caused some discussion, see http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/42468/what-do-you-do-when-a-sentence-ends-with-a-decimal

You learn something every day lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking23 said:

Ahhh I see... I was so intrigued by this so I googled it, it seems that putting a full stop after numbers has caused some discussion, see http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/42468/what-do-you-do-when-a-sentence-ends-with-a-decimal

You learn something every day lol.

Looking back, i could have written it slightly different to avoid said confusion.

On 2 March 2016 at 8:23 AM, ZimbiIV said:

When I started work it was pikers, nomples, leads, thin leads, ems and ens!

Don't ask about my old bosses measurement of, the hair of a gnats F****.

paul

There are 72 points to an inch (0.9962" to be more precise). So the body depth of 12 point type would be a sixth of an inch.

In "Hot Metal" days, colloquially the pica was also known as an "em". This is the square of any type body size so it is correct to speak of 6 pt. ems, of 8 pt. ems, etc. If no actual type size is referred to then the "em" means a 12 pt. or Pica em.

Complete lines of type were measured in Pica ems.

Half an "em" is known as an "en"; with these two words sounding similar most compositors referred to them as "muttons" and "nuts" respectively.

There are also standard word spaces as fractions of the body size: 1/3 em is a "thick" space, 1/4 em a "mid" (middle) space and 1/6 em a "thin" space (two thins equal a thick); there is also the "hair" space of 1/12 em.

Back in the day when you were hand setting very narrow measures (such as the instructions on the back of an old medicine bottle) the type face could be as small as five point so you needed something thinner than a hair space to justify (make all lines an equal length); cutting up bus tickets for spaces was quite common practice. If you didn't get the tightness of the line correct it could "spring" on the printing machine leaving the machine minder with tiny bits  of metal splattered all over his machine. This tended to upset this hairy a*s^d section of the print industry - never been sure why because he usually had a labourer to clean his machine out while I would have to spend another couple of hours resetting the whole label with said machine minder whispering!! obscenities down my ear.

Roy

On 2 March 2016 at 8:18 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

For a minute there Matt, i thought you meant you were going to take Thunder through Wroxham bridge BACKWARDS.

Seriously though, our nav lights are on top of a removeable short mast, though we`re in the process of moving them down to the side of the cabin, or so i believe.

I've also taken Lightning under at 6ft 10 inches and reckon there was at least 3 inches clearance all round - it was a dead calm day. Probably wouldn't try it under 7 ft if there was any amount of cross wind.

Didn't know about moving the nav lights to where they should be though.

Roy

• Like 1

webntweb.

yup printing terms but the yanks used a different point system. you sound like a comp. a printer without brains.

Best comp I ever met was dyslexic just copied the proof not knowing what it said.

Type justification rather than hyphenation is still the easiest way to read, praise the comp for that.

paul