Boat cookware

SPEEDTRIPLE

Some parts of non-stick pans can be recycled, but not the plastic on the handles.  I have a set of heavy stainless steel pans (including a frying pan) with copper bottoms which my grandmother paid around £50 for in the 1960s and which are as good as new.  If a frying pan is used correctly (i.e. heated up before adding a tiny amount of oil) it shouldn't be a problem to clean.

• Like 1

I am sorry, but my main cooking pot when away is a lidls non stick frying pan for £3.99, 

for breakfast fry the bread, cook the eggs, then the bacon, then open a tin of beans and sausages dump into the frying pan and heat, 1 pan, the beans leave it so it just needs rinse and wipe with kitchen roll.

• Like 2

In many things I prefer quality over disposable, and in fact the majority of my saucepans are Horwood Stella stainless steel but I end up having to admit that I use two cheapo non-stick pans for ease of use/cleaning. It seems that I am the only person who uses my boat who knows that you don't use steel utensils in non-stick cookware. Result, many scratches and reduced life. I shall replace like with like. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2018 at 07:29, MauriceMynah said:

I agree with your sentiments Kadensa, but it doesn't matter how much you pay for 'non stick' it doesn't last that long. Cheap alloy non sticks can be re-cycled rather than landfill.

Now my silly question... What exactly is wrong with "Land Fill"?

Try the copperstone range.

Not overly expensive but absolutely nothing sticks to them. Ours have been plodding on for years now and still look good as new with no signs of scratching on the non stick surface.

They are like witchcraft. No oil needed to fry an egg!

• Like 2

On 23/09/2015 at 11:16, BroadScot said:

Hi Monica,

My sincere apologies for not using the full word, but I had an argument with a Fire Extinguisher, on Broadway2, hence to me it is a FE. A very painful memory! If you look at Sparkling Horizon http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/sparkling-horizon/?startdate=23/09/2016&pets=0&duration=7 you will see the FE is out of harms way....I hope!:naughty:

cheersIain.

Was just reading through the posts and came across this post from Iain,  it has made me feel so sad that he is no longer with us.  Strange how things hit you all of a sudden.    I never met him personally but he was such a huge help on here.

• Like 1

I have recently purchased a new pressure cooker after having one of the Prestige ones for about 40 years.   Darn thing used to frighten me to death with its hissing and steam.       Plumped this time for a Lakeland's own , absolutely brilliant it is,  no noise, no steam, no fuss.   About a third of the weight.   Cannot praise it enough.   Would have been ideal on the boat as only two of us.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18435/Lakeland-3L-Pressure-Cooker-

• Thanks 1

I use a Cobb "BBQ" a lot when we are out and about, I was a little skeptical at first, but since getting this for our camper I have got rid of the BBQ and cadac grill. This bit of kit is really versatile and we often do a full roast when away camping including Yorkshires and roast spuds. One of the issues with wild cooking is that you don't have an oven, with a few heat beads this fella will do everything that an oven can do from roast to cakes to joints, as well as griddle, fry and BBQ. I cant rate it highly enough. The added benefit is that it doesn't smoke or get hot so is perfectly safe in the camper awning. Look em up on line they really are worth the investment if you have limited cooking equipment, and a week of BBQ and fried food really doesn't appeal when we are away.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a Cobb "BBQ" a lot when we are out and about, I was a little skeptical at first, but since getting this for our camper I have got rid of the BBQ and cadac grill. This bit of kit is really versatile and we often do a full roast when away camping including Yorkshires and roast spuds. One of the issues with wild cooking is that you don't have an oven, with a few heat beads this fella will do everything that an oven can do from roast to cakes to joints, as well as griddle, fry and BBQ. I cant rate it highly enough. The added benefit is that it doesn't smoke or get hot so is perfectly safe in the camper awning. Look em up on line they really are worth the investment if you have limited cooking equipment, and a week of BBQ and fried food really doesn't appeal when we are away.
Capture.PNG.6136177e44c34774c3346aa14f0d64d0.PNG
Yeah they're a great bit of kit, and cool enough externally to be used on top of a fibreglass boat.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Originally designed by an engineer working in East Africa. He saw women walking miles carrying wood collected for cooking. Meanwhile there was a mountain of maize cobbs around the village. He produced a very rudimentary version but it was capable of using the normal waste from their maize diet "The Cobb" as fuel.

• Like 2

I've always wanted a Cobb stove, the reviews are excellent.   I'm gutted that Looses have shut too, I'm still using Procook granite pans that I bought there last year and they are still non-stick with daily use - I think it is the same kind of technology as the copperstone pans. We can't use Teflon due to my pet parrot - the gasses being lethal to parrots at high temperatures (the PTFE, not the parrot!) so I swear by the granite pans, they are light and absolutely nothing sticks,  I've now got rid of the cast iron and stainless pans I had.  

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

Is that an African Grey? Does it talk? Sorry if that is a silly question, my knowledge of parrots is zilch! 

Yes to both, she is an African Grey and talks - easily a hundred words, some in context like "do you want to go to bed?" when she wants to go to her cage to sleep, but also a lot of babble of the things she hears us say.  She has just told me she has a sore butt feather as she's moulting!

• Haha 1