Boat Sunk Beauchamp Arms

dnks34

Was that a new leg strowager? Looks pristine. Either that or you gave it the clean of its life. 

I didn't know that about VP outdrives.  I have those so will feel a little more comfortable now.  Thanks. 

No, it was the same leg after a cleanup and repaint.

The "before" photos make it look far worse than it was, just like boat hulls when you first lift them after a couple of years immersion.

Rest assured with your VP drives, as long as they are maintained properly, with the oil, bellows, and anode changes every two years, they will last a lifetime, and are very well engineered. That one on my boat was fitted new in 1989, so is now 26 years old, and it was used on the Sea down in Torbay for the first 15 years of its life.

The bearings, shafts and seals are very large, designed to cope with 200hp, so when run at Broads speeds, (just 1000 engine rpm), they are very lightly stressed.

I wish I could renovate my own legs so easily, but alas, I'm stuck with this scrawny looking OAP undercarriage....

vp 290 leg.jpg

Strowager, just wondered what anti foul you use. Sure you know but unless the antifoul is specifically safe for Aluminium, which most aren't, you should leave a 25mm gap around the leg.

Yes indeed Senator, good advice, and something that you do often see on many outdrive boats where people have not bothered to check out such important requirements.

I've always used Trilux33 on the hull and the leg, in contrasting colours.

When I did the leg the first time, I also primed it with two pack Interprotect, after reading about it on the YBW forums.

The antifoul  lasts quite well in Broads conditions, and I've never been a fan of eroding or copper antifoulings on planing craft, let alone the ecological considerations.

Split bellows won't sink you with enfield outdrive legs either, once again the swivel hub in the transom is fully bearinged and sealed, I heard of one boat nearly sinking from the steering gaiter but it should never have been that low in the water to start with, probably full of rainwater before the gaiter come into play.

Yes indeed Senator, good advice, and something that you do often see on many outdrive boats where people have not bothered to check out such important requirements.

I've always used Trilux33 on the hull and the leg, in contrasting colours.

When I did the leg the first time, I also primed it with two pack Interprotect, after reading about it on the YBW forums.

The antifoul  lasts quite well in Broads conditions, and I've never been a fan of eroding or copper antifoulings on planing craft, let alone the ecological considerations.

We always used seajet emperor 034 for exactly the same reasons, that was eroding but suitable for 30 knots and sold as a two year application and we found it worked really well on the Broads

Bugger. sitting too far back on the trailer. Four wheel drive?

That looks like a tree winch on the trailer's bow strop.

It looks as though someone was trying to winch the boat out of the water onto the roller coaster trailer and hadn't got it far enough into the water.

About three tons of deadweight on a very long lever.

John, I thought it was only the traditionalist rag & stick brigade who would scream such things or go around singing 'another one bites the dust' with great glee. Personally I do have some sympathies with the owners, it's going to cost an arm & a leg to sort that lot!

that is a Sunseeker by the name Ultimate One, it was certainly running on Saturday Evening as it was moored next to us at Surlingham Ferry, it left there with two men on board at around 6pm. We passed the Beauchamp Arms about 2pm Sunday and it was under then.

Not seen this boat before the last three or four months so not sure if it is new on the system but have seen it quite a bit recently. Looked like it was due a bit of work but it is definitely not an abandoned job.

From the look of the Photo it may not be going to plan at the moment.

• Like 2

I am not a photographer but have a camera that takes pictures. I'm nearer 60 than 16 and did not have any need for computers or the likes till a few years ago so if dates and things appear on a piccie then "jeez" I dunno!?!?. All I can say is that we went past the Beauchamp at the time stated on the pic Saturday morning and saw that. Unfortunately I had a chuckle to myself and a big schoolboy gloat as this was the pondlife that passed me and the missus last year whilst we were moored at Polkeys Mill prepping a dinner and they  must have been doing 15 knots or more. Laughing drinking weeing over the side and on a bend as well the wash was 2 /3 feet high. We had to hang on for dear life. Still God doesn't pay you back in money or old clothes.. All i'm hoping is that the set up at the weekend wasn't manufactured for some claim or anything. 

When I saw the boat around Brundall early August,  the crew didn't strike me as the type you describe.   The boat had quite a list,  so much so that I reported it to yhd yard,  they said the owner was aware and awaiting work. I guess time ran out.  Sad really as they are a nice boat,  all be it with a pair of big petrol engines.  

My friend has the same boat on the Medway,  over powered for inland use but nice layout and finish.