Boat Sunk Beauchamp Arms

dnks34

They must be the noisiest petrol engines I have ever heard and they smoked a hell of a lot too when it pulled away from next to us at the Surlingham Ferry,

2 Chaps on board would say mid 50's.

Have seen it pass us at Reedham quite a few times recently but one of the few I would say at the proper speed so maybe it had changed hands recently.

Edited by senator
  • Like 1

This gets me thinking about the need to replace the diaphragm on our saildrive. Not sure when it was last done and Volvo suggest it's done every 7 - 10 years. 

Would hate to think of Lady P in that state :(

Used to be 5 years on those but was increased to 7 a while ago.  I've never heard of one failing but you may find your insurance company insisting on it being changed every 7 years.

I rather fear that much inside of such as that Sunseeker is unsuited to a prolonged dunking. On top of that, at a guess, I suspect that the Ultimate One is knocking on for twenty years of age. Stylish boat, I looked twice when I passed her at Brundall the other week, but without near constant updating and maintenance I'm guessing that she'll be a very expensive project if she's to be anything like original. It all raises the question, what is the life of such boats, however well built? Not sure of the exact designation but I know of several very shabby Broom Ocean cruisers that are now well past their sell-by dates, probably need re-engining and tons of TLC, boats that are now sitting on shore, waiting for rich benefactors. Brundall is awash with pre-owned boats looking for a new home, why spend money on renovating an older one that might well cost more in the long run?

..... It all raises the question, what is the life of such boats, however well built? Not sure of the exact designation but I know of several very shabby Broom Ocean cruisers that are now well past their sell-by dates, probably need re-engining and tons of TLC, boats that are now sitting on shore, waiting for rich benefactors......

"Life of such boats" Peter ?

I would think the life of any boat depends much more on the level of maintenance given to it, no matter what style or design.

A far bigger factor would be the materials used and the maintenance, so GRP scores over wood, requiring far less care and attention.

My current cruiser is of a similar style, albeit smaller than the Sunseeker being discussed.

It's now over 26 years old, with the original V6 petrol engine and Volvo outdrive.

They have been properly maintained and are in near new condition, as the photos show.

The hull hasn't got a single osmosis blister on it, unlike all the other GRP boats I've owned, including ex hire craft.

Sports cruisers may be an acquired taste regarding style, but their construction and longevity is at least as good as other craft, perhaps even stronger, considering most are designed for offshore use and 20 knots plus.

hull.jpg

transom.jpg

vp v6 engine.jpg

Strow, you have maintained your boat to a remarkable condition, not the case of many less fortunate craft. Have to disagree over your style comment, at least to a degree. Sports cruisers, in my experience, do tend to have luxuries such as built in hifi systems with speakers on the radar arch, for example, these definitely don't like dunking! Hi tech anything does seem to have a limited life. I'm sat here in front of a TV that ten years ago was absolute top of the range, cost me an arm and both legs back then, if I were to sell it now I very much doubt I'd have a queue at the door, more like I'd just dump it. There is a great deal to be said for a 20/30 year old, probably over engineered GRP hull, but unless what's attached to it has been well maintained then I would question the viability of restoration. I've raised the question, I don't know the answer but other opinions are appreciated.

Insurance is probably the answer JM,

Any restoration of an old boat is likely to outstrip the value once complete, especially if you value your hours, but if you are going to keep it then you will have a vessel that needs very little spending on it, in comparison to a similar aged boat that hasn't been renovated, over the next 10 years. Hence its value pays back over time.

You only have to look at the time and money people will put into restoring a wooden rowing boat or old sailing boat that, once you remove teary eyed nostalgia, can't hold a candle to the comfort and performance of a 2 year old alternative that will probably cost less, in order to see that there is always someone prepared to regenerate anything that could be described as classic, or even just plain old.

• Like 2

True Peter, some "sports cruisers" are way over the top with toys like hifi speakers and many seem to have been designed for James Bond fans, but the underlying structure and propulsion fitments are designed for full seagoing  RCD certification of at least C (inshore) ,B (offshore), and occasionally even A (ocean).

That contrasts sharply with most Broads designed cruisers probably rating only a "D" RCD classification "sheltered waters".

(Making Griff's remarkable BA coastal voyaging a rare exception, rather than the norm.) :)

hello I am new here, I saw your post about the boat that had sunk at the Beauchamp Arms and saw that you seemed interested in why it had sunk I can tell you that it was my boat.  My partner had moored alongside the tug you see in the photo as the owner is a friend, my partner Brian had decided to stay on the boat overnight but was woken up as the boat had listed to one side and was rapidly taking on water, he managed to get out and climbed onto the tug, my poor boat was two thirds under water by this time..

The barrier you can see round it was put there by the broads authority to help stop diesel being leaked into the river

My insurance company contracted divers to come and re-float the boat this was done about a week after the sinking and Brian had to bring a trailer to the slip as he had arranged for transportation to take my boat back home, trouble was the divers had left the boat half on the slip and then cleared of leaving Brian with no way to get the boat onto the trailer, luckily a local farmer offered the use of his tractor and someone else provided a winch so eventually the boat was then able to be taken away.

After looking at the boat once it was out of the water it was found to have a split gator and I am assuming that this was the reason why it had let on water so quickly, I had only had this boat a couple of months and all I can say is that thank heaven that insurance is compulsory when applying for the river toll, I have been informed by my insurers that the boat is a write off as it would be uneconomical for repair which I am very sad about as I had loved that old boat 

• Like 5

I am not a photographer but have a camera that takes pictures. I'm nearer 60 than 16 and did not have any need for computers or the likes till a few years ago so if dates and things appear on a piccie then "jeez" I dunno!?!?. All I can say is that we went past the Beauchamp at the time stated on the pic Saturday morning and saw that. Unfortunately I had a chuckle to myself and a big schoolboy gloat as this was the pondlife that passed me and the missus last year whilst we were moored at Polkeys Mill prepping a dinner and they  must have been doing 15 knots or more. Laughing drinking weeing over the side and on a bend as well the wash was 2 /3 feet high. We had to hang on for dear life. Still God doesn't pay you back in money or old clothes.. All i'm hoping is that the set up at the weekend wasn't manufactured for some claim or anything. 

This was my Sunseeker and I do not know who took that photo but I can assure you that this is no fraudulent claim, also I only had this boat for a couple of months I bought it earlier in the year from NYA at Horning so I can assure you that it was not us being obnoxious and roaring past you drunk and disorderly.  I loved this old boat and I am extremely sad and upset that it has gone not to mention the fact that my partner was on the boat as it was sinking and nearly drowned

• Like 3

A very warm welcome aboard the Forum Jayne, I wish I was welcoming you under better circumstances. I am so sorry about your Boat, must be terrible to lose your pride and joy in this way, I'm sure we all understand how you must be feeling, I think most of us have a deep affection for our Boats whether we own them or hire them, good luck with the insurance and any future purchase you make.

Grace :wave

• Like 2

A warm welcome from me and the Wench Jayne (some call her Inge) sadly we went past on the Sunday not to long after your sad occurrence happened on our way back from the forum meet.

we both hope you get it sorted soon and can be again boating sooner rather than lately. Our boat is also a 1978 vintage but we love her.

Charlie

• Like 1

Thank you, Jayne, for putting us in the picture. Thankfully you were insured although I'm sorry to say that the insurance company might, and I stress 'might' still write your boat off, the cost of repair being greater than the value of the boat. Great, great shame if they do. Had it happen to me with a much loved car but you can sometimes buy the boat back from the insurance company and restore her yourselves. Sorry to worry you but I'm afraid a write off is a very real possibility. As I wrote earlier motor boats don't like being drowned, especially when they are immersed for several days. Whatever, I wish you well. 

Thank you all for your replies they are much appreciated, I love the broads and that is why I bought my Sunseeker, mainly so that my partner and I could get away from the daily grind and spend time together mucking about on the river and we were looking forward to doing some cosmetic work to update the cabins and deck in the winter unfortunately the loss adjuster has indicated that my beloved boat will probably be written off as uneconomical, I am truly gutted 

• Like 1

Hello Jayne and :welcome:  From me as well.

sorry to hear about your boat, I can't begin to imagine how you must feel not being an owner myself.

fortunately you are insured and more importantly Brian got off in one piece although no doubt he'll be shaken.

hopefully you will be able to replace your boat before too long.

• Like 1

Hi Jayne and welcome,  my friend has just sold his boat,  identical to yours,  the money came through today,  bit late for you. It was in very nice condition,  18k. It was a twin petrol merc engined,  

Good luck with searching for a new boat,  what are you thinking of going for ?

Was so sorry to see that it was your boat that had sunk. Brian was moored next to us at Surlingham Ferry on Saturday Evening, we did see it sunk on our way past on Sunday but couldn't tell which boat it was. Really shocked when I found out that it was Ultimate One.

Mooring at Reedham on the river we have seen you about a lot this year, yours was a very distinctive boat with its colour scheme.

I hope you don't have any issues with your insurance claim and wish you luck with your search for a replacement.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you insured with? always good for the whole forum and wider Broads Boats owners to know how an insurer performs and if they perform well they deserve the positive publicity they will enjoy.

• Like 1

Was so sorry to see that it was your boat that had sunk. Brian was moored next to us at Surlingham Ferry on Saturday Evening, we did see it sunk on our way past on Sunday but couldn't tell which boat it was. Really shocked when I found out that it was Ultimate One.

Mooring at Reedham on the river we have seen you about a lot this year, yours was a very distinctive boat with its colour scheme.

I hope you don't have any issues with your insurance claim and wish you luck with your search for a replacement.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you insured with? always good for the whole forum and wider Broads Boats owners to know how an insurer performs and if they perform well they deserve the positive publicity they will enjoy.

I  had it insured with Navigator and General and I must say that the loss adjuster Mr Clark has been very helpful but I will have to wait now for the decision on whether I will be paid out, to tell you the truth I would much rather have my boat back all up and running but I dont think thats going to happen