Boat Sunk Beauchamp Arms

dnks34

Sure you will have no problem with nav & gen, they were brilliant with me a couple of years ago. As you say not having to claim in the first place is the preferred option but when the worst happens you can be glad you are with someone as good as n&g.

• Like 1

we can rebuild her you can save any boat if yer pocket is strong enough

san remo sunseeker not a popular choice err

bourgth in by a wanna be boat broker along time a goo.......never did sell hasten to add not with us we just lifted her to water ...!!!!

nice boat long and sleek too my choice hope all end well 

no offence nun taken ....

last post meant to say nice tug .....is the nuts ........can,t spell still ohhh well 

your boat is not a complete loss we have rescued far worse if you need help just ask ....

The hull is probably pretty good. Don't know why she sank but it takes an incredible amount of damage before a glass hull is beyond repair. Trouble is that many bits are installed whilst the boat is being put together meaning that sometimes wiring, for example, is glassed in and many fittings and fitments are inaccessible once the boat is completed. Well worth asking the insurance company whether you can buy the hull and then asking 650xs for a quote. Mind you, his prices aren't as cheap as my humour! 

• Like 1

The glassfibre hull and superstructure mouldings should be quite immune to any structural damage, even after a prolonged period submersion, let alone a few hours.

I would suspect that it could still easily be a financial write-off though, due to the replacement cost of the interior linings and furnishings, coupled with the cost of complete stripdown and potential new parts of the twin high power engine installation.

The real clincher is the professional labour costs, which the insurance company would have to take into account.

It could be quite viable as a DIY project, with the bonus of a brand new interior as a result, but the hundreds of hours spent on such an undertaking would have to be a labour of love.

The glassfibre hull and superstructure mouldings should be quite immune to any structural damage, even after a prolonged period submersion, let alone a few hours.

I would suspect that it could still easily be a financial write-off though, due to the replacement cost of the interior linings and furnishings, coupled with the cost of complete stripdown and potential new parts of the twin high power engine installation.

The real clincher is the professional labour costs, which the insurance company would have to take into account.

It could be quite viable as a DIY project, with the bonus of a brand new interior as a result, but the hundreds of hours spent on such an undertaking would have to be a labour of love.

Absolutely spot on Strow. A finnancial write off yes, but definitely not a structural or mechanical write off. Yes you would probably have to have the electric and gas systems replaced, but the water system might only need a good flush through. The seat covers and foams might be rescueable after allowing them to dry out, and the engines  will still be useable if drained of all fluids and left to dry, apart from some light oil in the bores. It would be a lot of work, but definitely doable. Just because something gets wet, it does`nt nessecarily mean its no longer repairable or useable, especially if it`s been in fresh water rather than saltwater.

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

Its good to see you back on the forum.

If the insurance company did not write off this boat could it be revived?

Regards

Alan

HI all

Just had the boat assessed

Absolutely spot on Strow. A finnancial write off yes, but definitely not a structural or mechanical write off. Yes you would probably have to have the electric and gas systems replaced, but the water system might only need a good flush through. The seat covers and foams might be rescueable after allowing them to dry out, and the engines  will still be useable if drained of all fluids and left to dry, apart from some light oil in the bores. It would be a lot of work, but definitely doable. Just because something gets wet, it does`nt nessecarily mean its no longer repairable or useable, especially if it`s been in fresh water rather than saltwater.

Hi all

Re: my drowned Sunseeker 31

I am wondering whether to buy back my boat to sell on, I think it would be too much to refurb myself

My partner is going to run the engines tomorrow as he has done things to technical for me to understand to get them going,

Has anyone any advice or comments on whether or not to re sell as is but with engines ok

Thanks 

Jayne

If the engines and gearboxes work fine, then it`s worth spending a week washing out the inside, the bilges etc etc, and if the cushion covers are removeable, take them off and wash them too. That will allow the foam to dry too. Every bit of the inside will require washing down, then going over with anti bacterial cleaner. If you can leave the boat covered with a tarp, open at both ends, and with hatches and windows open (not wide open as it`s a security risk), this will allow the boat to air, and help with drying out inside.  Disconnect the hoses from the water tanks and wash the tanks out thouroughly, also the same with hoses, pumps and taps etc.  Tke off all electric switches and covers etc, and thouroughly clean, and spray with WD40. Check all through hull connections, and spray stop cocks with WD40. I`m assuming your partner has dealt with the fuel system, as he`s gonig to check the engines?. It will be a lot of work, but if the insurance co pay out on a total loss, and you buy the boat back, by doing a lot of the work yourselves, it will save a lot on engineer charges at a yard, plus you may have more than enough money left  after buying the boat back, to pay for an engineer to do the few things you can`t do. As i said in a previous post, it`s going to be a lot of hard laborious work, but it`s definitely doable.

One last point, if you go down this route, after all the work is done, don`t forget to have a full safety survey, or an RNLI sea check to put your mind at ease.

If you do decide to sell, then it`s still worth doing a lot of the above to get an easier sale.

Edited by SPEEDTRIPLE

I can see the sense in buying the boat back for a refurb but surely any part of the boat thats been made out of wood is going to pretty kaput.

Ive seen the damage to ply bulkheads water ingress from leaky hull fittings can cause. I dread to think what paneling etc would look like after being flooded.

Im not trying to put you off but whatever you do with your boat I would have thought its going to be a lot of work and more than just cosmetic.  If theres any ply onboard thats surely got to go as that soaks water up like a sponge!

If the engines and gearboxes work fine, then it`s worth spending a week washing out the inside, the bilges etc etc, and if the cushion covers are removeable, take them off and wash them too. That will allow the foam to dry too. Every bit of the inside will require washing down, then going over with anti bacterial cleaner. If you can leave the boat covered with a tarp, open at both ends, and with hatches and windows open (not wide open as it`s a security risk), this will allow the boat to air, and help with drying out inside.  Disconnect the hoses from the water tanks and wash the tanks out thouroughly, also the same with hoses, pumps and taps etc.  Tke off all electric switches and covers etc, and thouroughly clean, and spray with WD40. Check all through hull connections, and spray stop cocks with WD40. I`m assuming your partner has dealt with the fuel system, as he`s gonig to check the engines?. It will be a lot of work, but if the insurance co pay out on a total loss, and you buy the boat back, by doing a lot of the work yourselves, it will save a lot on engineer charges at a yard, plus you may have more than enough money left  after buying the boat back, to pay for an engineer to do the few things you can`t do. As i said in a previous post, it`s going to be a lot of hard laborious work, but it`s definitely doable.

One last point, if you go down this route, after all the work is done, don`t forget to have a full safety survey, or an RNLI sea check to put your mind at ease.

If you do decide to sell, then it`s still worth doing a lot of the above to get an easier sale.

Hi Neil,

I agree with everything you say other than the use of WD40 on the electrical system, it is far better to clean down even using clean water on the wiring and then letting it dry out naturally. Any panels or circuit boards or panels dry off as best as you can and then place in bags of dry rice.

Regards

Alan

Edited by ranworthbreeze
  • Like 1

I can see the sense in buying the boat back for a refurb but surely any part of the boat thats been made out of wood is going to pretty kaput.

Ive seen the damage to ply bulkheads water ingress from leaky hull fittings can cause. I dread to think what paneling etc would look like after being flooded.

Im not trying to put you off but whatever you do with your boat I would have thought its going to be a lot of work and more than just cosmetic.  If theres any ply onboard thats surely got to go as that soaks water up like a sponge!

That would surely depend on the quality of the ply? There are many small boats and loads of sailing dinghy out there that are made purely of ply and they seem to float.

Where you run very quickly into ttrouble is where faced chipboard bulkheads are used. Because fibreglass boats were never expected to get wet inside chipboard was used by some builders instead of marine ply. Now that does soak like a sponge!

Once those engines have been run and had a heat cycle through them I would have thought the boat would be a very viable proposition for someone. You would be amazed at what will clean and dry out and be perfectly useable again, even electronics. Don't leave it all too wet for too long though.

In my experience, the hardest thing to dry out is the cushions. They seem to soak up water like a ..... erm,.... sponge!

• Like 1

It's impossible to judge how much work is required to restore the interior without actually seeing the internal fit-out.

Several good points raised in these replies, especially whether the "wood" is marine ply, chipboard or MDF.

Only Marine or Exterior Ply will survive a sinking without turning into weetabix and swelling our of shape.

Peter's remark about foam backed linings is also vital.

My own boat is of the same era and style, and most of the interior is actually gelcoated fibreglass mouldings, (bed bases, cupboards, steps etc.), so that would be completely undamaged. The cabin lining however, is the dreaded foam backed cloth material, and that would be trashed.

It must be remembered that for the insurance company to write off thousands of pounds, the restoration is going to take a great many man-hours, making it uneconomic to restore professionally.

Most of the work is relatively unskilled though, similar to household DIY skills, but there will be a great deal of it.

The hull is probably pretty good. Don't know why she sank but it takes an incredible amount of damage before a glass hull is beyond repair. Trouble is that many bits are installed whilst the boat is being put together meaning that sometimes wiring, for example, is glassed in and many fittings and fitments are inaccessible once the boat is completed. Well worth asking the insurance company whether you can buy the hull and then asking 650xs for a quote. Mind you, his prices aren't as cheap as my humour! 

If it's solid GRP, then that's true. If it's cored with end grain balsa (as a great many similar hulls are, at least for the decks and superstructure), then it can be a very different matter, especially if any fittings, internal or external, have been screwed into the core or are fitted through holes cut into the structure and not properly lined (which is fairly common, even on relatively high quality boats). I have seen a boat built like that that sank, and although it initially seemed fine, a year or two later a lot of the balsa core had turned to mush. It was possible to work out exactly how deep she'd been submerged by using a moisture meter - it went off the scale anywhere that had been under water, and there was pretty much no way to get the water out.

I have been offered the sale price back less whatever I can buy the boat back for but my insurance cover was for double the amount as I paid a higher premium for total loss as I cannot buy a similar boat for the same price so I am at a loss as to why am I not being offered the full or near amount, can anyone advise please 

Thank You 

Jayne

They will always try to get you to settle for less........ however many insurers will only let you insure for the purchase price and not the "True Value" of the boat even if you had a bargain.

You may be better off suggesting they source a replacement boat for you of the same fit out year condition etc.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update on Ultimate One, eventually I got paid out and the ins co gave us the boat back so we decided to give the old lady a complete overhaul, so my partner has taken on this mission, so far he has totally stripped the boat down to her underwear as in only the hull was left, he is replacing everything new or whatever we can get our grubby mitts on, he has fitted a bow thruster plus a webasco heater and he spent 2 weeks getting all the old anti foul off, plus the grotty flashing.

All the electrics have been replaced and new switches/rockers/nav lights are on order, he has replaced the elec jabsco head with a manual and totally re fibre glassed all the head compartment, his mission at the moment is making a new hood/canopy

He has also made a hoop and swim deck and has made a new fibreglass dashboard as the old one was shabby

One of the BMW engines had to have a complete overhaul which has been the most expensive purchase to date but the other engine runs like a dream

there are still lots of things we need to buy for the old Lady, (really need a transducer for the gps I nearly passed out at how much they are gawd), so many other things we are doing that are to numerous to mention

Dont think the old Lady will be back in the water this year but we have decided that she is going to have a name change when she does

• Like 6